First Country to Grant Women the Right to Vote
New Zealand became the first country to grant women the right to vote in 1893. It is the first country that was self-governed that provided its women residents with this right. At first, it was only the women who were the descendants of the Bounty mutineers who were allowed to vote.
On 14 October 1893, it was the first time in the history of the world that women went to vote. Afterward, other women were given the same rights as well. Many countries followed New Zealand's example and granted women the right to vote as well.
Struggle for Women's Right to Vote
The struggle for women's right to vote is also known as the suffrage movement which started in the USA. The movement first began in 1848 during the Seneca Fall Convention in New York City. While New Zealand was the first country to grant women the right to vote, other countries followed suit soon.
- Australia granted voting rights to women in 1908.
- Women got the right to vote in Norway in 1913.
- By 1915, women could also vote in Denmark and Iceland
- In 1918, women who were over the age of 20 could vote in Russia, Germany, and Austria as well.
- In 1919 Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Ukraine also gave the right to vote
- European countries like Spain, France, and Italy granted women voting rights in 1931 1944, and 1946 respectively.
- India first granted women the right to vote in 1935 but only if they were educated and married to a male voter.
Which was the first country to grant women the right to vote in the year 1893?
New Zealand was the first country to grant women the right to vote. In the October of 1893, it was the first time that women were allowed to cast their votes at the polling station. After this move, many other countries also started granting women the right to vote. After the Universal Adult Franchise, all women and men were entitled to one vote and had the right to cast it.
- Describe the Powers and Functions of the Prime Minister of India
- How Many Oceans Are There in The World?
- What are Natural and Man-made Disasters?
- Write the Ten Things that are Living and Non-living
- What type of clothes should we wear in summer?
- Why are Lysosomes known as suicide bags?
- How many players are there in a basketball team
- A group of sailors is called?
Commentswrite a comment