The GATE Exam Admit Card was released on 9 January 2023. The GATE 2023 exam mock tests are released by the officials. The session-wise distribution for all 29 disciplines has been released and can be checked in the coming sections. The exam notification was released by the conducting authority (IIT Kanpur), along with the official brochure, registration date, and application form dates. The GATE Exam will be conducted on the 4th, 5th, 11th, and 12th of February 2023 for 29 disciplines across India.
GATE 2022 was conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur at the national level in India. Every year, the GATE exam is administered by either IISc Bangalore, IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, and IIT Roorkee on a rotational basis. GATE full form is the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. There will be 29 papers for the GATE 2023 examination instead of 27 papers (old) available as options for admission to IITs, NITs, and other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTIs) in India.
GATE 2023 Exam Latest News
Check out the latest updates on GATE 2023 here as and when notified by the officials:
- The release of GATE admit card was released on 9 January 2023.
- GATE mock test papers are released, the 2022 papers that allowed candidates to know real-life situations.
- The entire GATE exam schedule was released on 28 November 2022.
- The modification window on the GATE application will be open on 8 November 2022.
- The GATE exam registration is closed.
- The last date to make corrections to the application form was 27 October 2022.
- Registration with a late fee for the exam was started on 8 October 2022 and was open till 16 October 2022.
- The registration process without a late fee was open until 7 October 2022.
- The GATE exam registration process started on 30 August 2022.
- According to the latest information, 23 New exam cities have been added by IIT Kanpur. The GATE exam will now be conducted in 219 cities.
- The officials announced an updated combination of two papers in the GATE 2023 exam.
GATE 2023 Last Date
The GATE 2023 last date to update the registration form was 27 October 2022. The date to register without any additional fee was 7 October 2022, whereas after that, till 16 October 2022, candidates had to pay a late fee. The normal registration dates were extended from 4 October to 7 October 2022. It is to be known that the GATE 2023 last date with the late fee is also changed from 7 October 2022 to 16 October 2022.
What is GATE Exam?
GATE Exam is a national-level engineering entrance exam for admission into Master's Programs, recruitment in PSUs, and other career choices. In 2023, 29 disciplines will take part in the examination. The GATE exam is conducted online only; even registration is done online. In the GATE exam, candidates can even opt for 2 different subjects per the given guidelines by the officials.
GATE Exam Full Form
GATE full form is the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. It is a test to check the aptitude of the graduates.
Why Appear in GATE Exam?
Here are a few important points for candidates to know why it is important to appear in the GATE exam and what is GATE exam used for:
- With the GATE exam score, you can get admission to Master of Engineering (M.E.)/Master of Technology (M.Tech) courses and Ph.D. Programs at various IITs, NITs, IISc, GFTIs, and other reputed Universities.
- Moreover, scores obtained in the GATE exam are also considered by several foreign universities as well such as the Nanyang Technological University (Singapore), National University of Singapore (Singapore), Technical University of Munich (Germany), and Aachen University (Germany), etc.
- GATE score can be used to apply for prestigious jobs in PSUs, Central Government, and GOI Organizations, as well as in the Private Sector.
- If you pass the GATE exam, you can join a state- or national-level university/college to pursue higher studies like M.Tech through GATE. You will be given a scholarship of Rs. 12,400 every month until the completion of two years of your course.
- GATE score remains valid for 3 years for joining an M.Tech. program from the date of release of the result. Detailed descriptions of opportunities after the GATE Exam are provided herein "Opportunities After GATE Exam."
- For government jobs, your GATE Score will remain valid for the current year.
- The GATE exam score can be used to get fellowships like GATE JRF by CSIR.
GATE 2023 Exam Notification
IIT Kanpur released the official link to apply online for the GATE 2023 exam on 30 August 2022 for candidates planning to appear for the upcoming exam. The GATE exam is decided to be conducted on the weekends of the first two weeks of February 2023(i.e., 4, 5, 11, and 12). Candidates can download the GATE 2023 notification PDF from here.
GATE Exam 2023 Highlights
Check out some vital GATE 2023 exam highlights below:
- GATE exam conducting authority (2023)- IIT Kanpur
- Exam Level- National
- GATE Exam Language- English
- Mode of Application- Online
- GATE Exam Mode- Online
- Total Disciplines- 29
- GATE Exam Dates- 4, 5, 11, and 12 February 2023
- Question Papers Type- MSQ/MCQ/NAT
- Exam Cities- 219 cities
- Participating Colleges- 1072
- GATE Exam Duration- 3 Hours
GATE Exam Conducting Authorities
IIT Kanpur will conduct GATE 2023. IIT Kharagpur conducted the 2022 session of the GATE exam. The last time IIT Kanpur conducted the GATE exam was in 2015.
GATE Exam Administered By?
Every year GATE exam is administered by any one of the 8 following organizing institutes on a rotational basis: IIT Delhi, IIT Madras, IIT Guwahati, IIT Roorkee, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Bombay & IISc Bangalore.
The 2021 session of the GATE exam was organized by IIT Bombay, while IIT Delhi organized the previous session to that. Check out all the organizing institutes of the various year exams:
GATE Exam Conducting Authorities
What is New in GATE Exam?
In the previous session of the GATE exam, National Coordination Board (NCB) made some significant changes. There was an introduction of two new papers for the GATE exam. Two New Papers for the GATE Exam: Marine Engineering & Naval Architecture (NM) as one of the papers, and Geomatics Engineering (GE). Hence there will be a total of 29 papers in the GATE exam. Further, there was an increase in the number of exam centers for the exam as well.
New Exam Centres Added to GATE Exam
In the GATE 2022 session, many new exam centers have been included. Places like Shirdi, Latur, Akola, and Dhule will be available for the students to select as exam centers.
The other significant GATE exam changes:
- One or Two subject papers allowed: Two Paper combinations have to be chosen from the given list of combinations of papers. The final allotment of TWO papers will still be subject to the availability of infrastructure and dates.
- Changes in exam pattern: The detailed changes in the exam pattern are mentioned below. A new pattern of questions has been added. An entirely Computer Based Test (CBT) will be held for GATE.
- Changes in the subject syllabus: Students must note all the changes in the GATE syllabus mentioned below.
- Depending on travel restrictions, officials may have removed exam centers in International cities.
- Eligibility criteria are relaxed: Applicants currently in the 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program are now eligible to appear for the GATE 2023 examination.
- Reservation Quota for EWS Candidates: Previous year, the Government announced a 10% reservation quota for Economically Weaker Section (EWS or GEN-EWS) candidates who want to participate in the GATE exams.
- Thumb Impression: Candidates are no more required to upload their thumb impression while submitting the GATE online application form.
- Virtual Calculator: Candidates will be given the virtual calculator at the time of the GATE exam. Candidates with Scientific Calculators are not allowed to enter the exam hall.
List of GATE Exam Papers with Their Code
According to the latest addition to the GATE exam, there will be 29 disciplines. Each discipline, along with its codes, is mentioned in the table provided below:
GATE Exam Date 2023
The GATE exam date 2023 calendar has been announced. Candidates can check the schedule given in the GATE 2023 notification by referring to the table below.
GATE Exam Date 2023
GATE 2023 Registration Start Date (without late fee)
30 August 2022
GATE Registration Last Date (without late fee)
30 September 2022
Closing Date of Extended GATE 2023 Application Process (without late fee)
7 October 2022
Closing Date of Extended GATE 2023 Application Process (with late fee)
16 October 2022
Modifications in GATE 2023 Application
27 October 2022
GATE 2023 Admit Card Release Date
9 January 2023
GATE 2023 Exam Date
4, 5, 11, and 12 February 2023
Candidate's response available in the Application portal
15 February 2023
21 February 2023
Challenges for Answer Key
22 February 2023 to 25 February 2023
16 March 2023
Availability of Score Card
21 March 2023
GATE 2023 Exam Schedule
The entire schedule of the GATE exam is shown in the image given below. Exams of all 29 branches are going to be conducted on the 4 different days in two sessions each day in the following way:
GATE 2023 Registration
The GATE 2023 application process is closed now; candidates can no longer register in the GOAPS portal. The fresh registration process started on 30 August 2022 and ended on 16 October 2022. Candidates must note that GATE registration was accepted online only through the GOAPS portal or official website.
GATE Exam 2023 Login
The candidates had to register themselves to be eligible for the GATE Exam 2023 Login process. Log in to the official website lead to the filling out of the detailed GATE application form or any correction on it.
How to Fill GATE Application Form?
Check out the essential steps given below to fill GATE exam form:
- Visit GOAPS's official site and register.
- Once registration is completed, candidates need to open a window for GATE Login.
- Fill up the GATE application form.
- Upload the required documents, like photographs and signatures.
- Make the payment of GATE exam fees.
- Click on the submit button.
Documents Required(Indian Candidates)
Here is the list of documents and information required to fill out the application form for the GATE exam 2023:
- Your name, your date of birth, your mobile number, your parent's name, and your parent's mobile number.
- Residential Address for Communication with an area PIN code.
- Degree scanned with a size under 10-300 kb in pdf format (upload only one page of anyone document)
- For Engineering Degree course completion certificate/provisional certificate/8th Semester mark sheet/7th-semester mark sheet/6th-semester mark sheet/Pre or final year mark sheet in case of integrated degree/AMIE and Completed one section/Provisional Certificate Letter.
- For Science Degree course completion certificate/provisional certificate/4th Semester mark sheet/3rd-semester mark sheet/2nd-semester mark sheet/1st-year mark sheet/Pre-final year mark sheet in case of integrated degree/Provisional Certificate Letter.
- College address with a PIN code
- Choice of GATE exam cities
- Scanned image of the thumb impression of size 2-150 kb in jpeg/jpg
- Scanned image of your photograph of size 5-200 kb in jpeg/jpg
- Scanned image of your signature of size 5-150 kb in jpeg/jpg
- Scanned copy of Category/PwD Certificate (if applicable) in size 10-300 kb in pdf
- ID Proof: Passport/PAN Card/Voter ID/Aadhaar UID/Driving License/College ID/Employee ID card
- Bank details for application fees
What is the Fee for the GATE Exam?
The application fee for the GATE exam for different categories is given below in the table. You must pay the GATE application fee online only before the closing date. If you pay the exam fee for GATE 2023 after the application closing date, you will have to pay the fee along with the fine.
GATE 2023 Fee
A detailed description of the GATE 2023 application fee, which candidates must submit during the entire registration process, is given in the table shown below:
On or Before the Last Date
(7 October 2022)
During the Extended Period
(8 October 2022- 16 October 2022)
For Examination Centres in India
SC/ST/PwD* category candidates
All other candidates
For Examination Centres outside India (All Candidates)
Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu
Dubai and Singapore
GATE Exam Eligibility
Candidates must know the GATE exam eligibility criteria before applying for the exam. The eligibility criteria for the GATE 2023 exam carry educational qualification, age limit, and passing percentage. The candidates who possess the following criteria are eligible to appear in GATE.
To apply for the GATE entrance exam, a candidate must possess either of the mentioned qualification(s). However, the educational qualification has been relaxed for the exam. The students studying in the 3rd or final years of any undergraduate degree are now eligible for the examination. Also, students who have already completed any degree program approved by the Government in Engineering, Technology, Architecture, Science, Commerce, or Arts are eligible to appear for the GATE 2023 examination.
- BE/B. Tech/B. Pharma
- B.Sc (Research)/B.S
- Professional Society Examination (equivalent to B.E./B. Tech/B. Arch)
- M.Sc./M.A./MCA or equivalent
- Integrated M.E/M.Tech (Post – B.Sc)
- Integrated M.Sc./Integrated B.S-M.S
- Integrated M.E./M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)
According to the revised GATE eligibility criteria, you must have a minimum qualification of 10+2+3. In the final year of graduation, candidates can apply for the GATE entrance examination.
Candidates pursuing or have passed their graduation in either Engineering, Technology, Architecture, Science, Commerce, or Arts in a relevant discipline can apply for the course.
No minimum pass percentage criteria are defined to apply for the GATE exam 2023.
There is no age limit defined to apply for the GATE exam 2023.
You should have Indian nationality to apply for GATE 2023. Candidates from Nepal, Bangladesh, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and the United Arab Emirates are eligible for the GATE.
GATE Eligibility Criteria for International Students
Candidates living in Nepal, Bangladesh, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and the United Arab Emirates can apply for GATE. Candidates from these countries must have completed or be in their final year or the pre-final year of their bachelor's degree in engineering and technology or equivalent.
GATE 2023 Combination of Two Papers
Candidates can now select two papers for the GATE exam 2023. A list of all the papers which can be combined in GATE 2023 are:
|First Paper||Second Paper||First Paper||Second Paper|
|AE||CE, ME, XE||AG||CE|
|AR||CE, GE||BM||BT, IN|
AE, AG, AR, ES, GE, NM, XE
|CH||ES, PE, XE||CS|
|CY||XE, XL||EC||CS, EE, IN, PH|
|EE||EC, IN, PH||ES||CE, CH, GE|
|MA||CS, PH, ST||ME|
|PI||ME, XE||ST||CS, MA, XH|
|XE||AE, CE, CH, CY, ME, MT, PH, PI||XH||ST|
|XL||BT, CY, EY|
GATE Exam Pattern
The GATE exam pattern comprises Multiple-choice questions (MCQs), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions. There is a negative marking for the multiple-choice questions, while no marks will be deducted for the numerical answer type questions. Let us check the critical aspects related to the GATE exam pattern in the table below:
GATE Exam Duration
3 hours (180 minutes)
Number of Subjects/Papers
29 (Increased from 27)
General Aptitude (GA) and Candidate's Selected Subject
Number of Questions
(General Aptitude: 10 Questions
Core Subjects: 55 Questions)
Distribution of Marks in all Papers
Except for papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH,
XH and XL
General Aptitude(15 Marks) + Engineering Mathematics(13 Marks) + Subject Questions(72 Marks) =
Total: 100 Marks
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
Marks Distribution in papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH, and XL is different: General Aptitudeis of 15 Marks and Subject Questions of 85 Marks, making a total of 100 marks.
- For MCQs carrying 1 mark: 1/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- For MCQs carrying 2 marks: the 2/3 mark will be deducted for every incorrect response.
- Multiple Select Question (MSQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions have no negative marking.
1/3 marks will be deducted for the wrong answers, i.e. (0.33) marks for 1 mark questions, and (0.66) marks will be deducted for questions carrying 2 marks. No mark will be deducted for the wrong answer to NAT questions.
We have provided the branch-wise GATE syllabus for CE, ME, CS, EC, and EE branches. Please note that the GATE Syllabus of all subject papers has been revised, and students must thoroughly review the syllabus before preparing.
GATE Exam Admit Card 2023
The GATE admit card download link is available on the official website. The post-release of the admit card is to resolve any discrepancies in the candidates' personal information mentioned in the admit card. The GATE organizing authority, IIT Kanpur, issued the GATE 2023 admit card for the applicants. You need GOAPS Enrollment ID and password to download your GATE admit card. Make sure you carry your admit card at the exam hall; without the admit card, entry to the exam hall is strictly prohibited.
Steps to Download GATE 2023 Admit Card
- Visit the official GATE 2023 website
- Enter the enrollment number and password.
- Click on GATE Login.
- Click on the GATE admit card download link.
- Admit cards will be downloaded in pdf format.
- Save it and take a printout to be carried while appearing for the exam.
GATE Exam 2023 Preparation
Candidates preparing for the upcoming exam should check the best GATE notes to improve their scores in the exam. Check branch-wise study notes:
GATE Question Papers
You can get branch-wise GATE previous year question papers to kick start GATE preparation in the right direction. We've combined the GATE question papers exam in PDF form with their solution and answer key, and you can use them during your GATE exam preparation.
GATE Question Papers with Solutions
Check the GATE 2022 question papers and the solutions for all critical branches below.
You can check the detailed question papers list for all Branches here.
GATE Mock Test Series
To ace your GATE preparation, BYJU'S Exam Prep brings the best online GATE test series for GATE Mechanical, GATE Civil, Electronics, Electrical, & GATE CSE branches. All the test series pack comes with one free mock test. You can perform the online subscription below and start practicing the latest GATE mock test prepared GATE toppers.
Also, Check: GATE Online Coaching
GATE Exam Books
Candidates planning to appear for the GATE exam 2023 must know the best books for GATE to prepare themselves for the GATE online examination. Thus, we have compiled the list of GATE books for CSE, CE, ME, EE, and ECE and their authors to ensure that you prepare for the best.
GATE ME Books
GATE Book Name
Fundamentals of Engineering Heat and Mass Transfer by R.C. Sachdeva
Design of Machine Elements by V Bhandari
Higher Engineering Mathematics by B. S. Grewal
Industrial Engineering and Management by O. P. Khanna
Engineering Thermodynamics by P.K. Nag
GATE CE Books
Higher Engineering Mathematics (Edition 43) by
Strength of Materials
Strength of Materials (Edition 2) by
Design Of Steel Structures
Design of Steel Structures (Edition 3) by
Highway Engineering by S.K.Khanna, C.E.G.Justo
Fundamental Structural Analysis (Edition 3) by
Engineering Hydrology (Edition 4) by
Irrigation Engineering and Hydraulic Structures (Edition 1) by S K Garg
GATE EE Books
Power Electronics (Edition 5) by P.S.Bimbhra
Control Systems Engineering (Edition 5) by I.J.Nagrath, M. Gopal
Electrical Machinery (Edition 7) by P. S. Bimbhra
Engineering Electromagnetics (Edition 8) by William H Hayt, John A Buck
GATE CSE Books
Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach (Edition 6) by James F. Kurose, Keith W. Ross
Database System Concepts (Edition 6) by Silberschatz, Sudarshan, Korth
Introduction to Algorithms (Edition 3) by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein
Digital Logic & Computer Design (Edition 1) by M. Morris Mano
GATE ECE Books
Microelectronic Circuits: Theory and Applications (Edition 6) by Adel S. Sedra, Kenneth C. Smith
Signals & Systems
Signals & Systems (Edition 2) by Alan V. Oppenheim, Alan S.Willsky, S.Hamid Nawab
Principles of Electromagnetics (Edition 4) by Mathew N.O. Sadiku
Automatic Control Systems (Edition 9) by Benjamin C. Kuo
GATE 2023 results will be declared on 16 March 2023 after the commencement of the exam. The GATE result will be announced after the release of the final answer keys.
Candidates with a valid GATE score can download their GATE scorecard from the official GATE website. Please note that the eligibility of your GATE scorecard is Three (3) years from the date of the GATE result.
GATE Cut Off 2023
The officials will release the GATE cutoff of 2023 along with the result. The following cutoff marks will help you estimate the cutoff for next year, and accordingly, you can target the preparation to qualify for the GATE 2023 exam.
Check out the GATE cutoff 2022 of a few disciplines to estimate the expected cutoff of the upcoming exam. You can also go through our GATE cutoff 2019/ 2018/ 2017/ 2016 article here.
GATE CE Cut Off Marks 2022
|Unreserved||OBC-NCL||SC/ ST/ PWD|
GATE ME Cut Off for 2022
|Unreserved||OBC-NCL||SC/ ST/ PWD|
GATE ECE 2022 Cut Off
|Unreserved||OBC-NCL||SC/ ST/ PWD|
CS Cut-off Marks for GATE 2022
EE Cut-off Marks for GATE 2022
GATE Score Card 2023
GATE scorecard 2023 will be released on 21 March 2023 after the result declaration. Scorecards are only released for those students who have successfully cleared the GATE cutoff marks. Candidates can download the same and present it for the counselling process of IIT, NITs, or PSU recruitment processes.
GATE Counseling 2023
The GATE counseling 2023 process will start for qualified candidates in May 2023. Candidates must register for the counseling process, which is done separately by the participating institutions. Centralized counseling, called CCMT (Centralized Counseling for M. Tech/M. Plan), is conducted to get admission to IIT, NIT, and other government institutes. The IITs conduct their counseling for admission in M.Tech courses, and the other state-level universities conduct their counseling for admissions.
GATE Exam Official Details
Contact Info of IIT Kanpur:
- 0512 259 6962
- 0512 259 6963
Organizing Chair, GATE 2023
GATE-JAM Office IIT Kanpur
Uttar Pradesh, India - 208016
Zone-wise email ID and Phone number:
|Zone||E-mail ID||Phone Number|
|Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||gateoffice @ iitb.ac.in||022-25767068|
|Indian Institute of Science Bangalore||gate @ gate.iisc.ac.in||080-22932392|
|Indian Institute of Technology Delhi||gate @ admin.iitd.ac.in||011-26591749|
|Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati||gate @ iitg.ac.in||0361-2582751|
|Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur||gate @ iitk.ac.in||0512-2597412|
|Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||gateonline @ adm.iitkgp.ac.in||03222-282091|
|Indian Institute of Technology Madras||gate @ iitm.ac.in||044-22578200|
|Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||gate @ iitr.ac.in||01332-284531|
Social Media handles:
Report an Issue here to the GATE officials regarding your GATE exam: Report Issue