The applicants shortlisted in the Prelims exam will advance to the Mains stage. The IBPS PO Mains examination comprises four sections, each requiring a comprehensive understanding of diverse topics. The Quantitative Aptitude section evaluates candidates' data interpretation and analytical abilities. The Reasoning section assesses their logical and critical thinking skills. The English section tests their language comprehension and communication expertise. The General Awareness section covers banking awareness, current affairs, static GK, financial awareness, and economic news. Additionally, there is a Descriptive Test that assesses candidates' writing skills through essay and letter writing. Aspirants must strategize their preparation to excel in all sections and effectively manage time during the examination.
The IBPS PO Mains syllabus 2023 is elaborated herewith. The applicants have to attempt 155 questions in 3 hours in the objective test. There is sectional timing allotted to each subject. It also consists of the Descriptive Test, which comprises 2 questions of 25 marks, the time specified for the section is 30 minutes. Check here the detailed IBPS PO syllabus of the following subjects listed herewith:
- IBPS PO Quantitative Aptitude syllabus
- IBPS PO Reasoning syllabus
- IBPS PO English syllabus
- IBPS PO General Awareness syllabus
- IBPS PO Syllabus for Descriptive Test
IBPS PO Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus
The candidates have to sum up the 35 questions in 60 minutes. They have to maintain the accuracy and pace to ace the Quantitative Aptitude section. Candidates must go through the table and collect the details of the important topics for the IBPS PO syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude.
IBPS PO Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude
Type of Questions
Graphs [Line graph, Bar graph, Pie graph]
In combination with arithmetic problems
There are numerous other topics that carry major importance in the Quantitative Aptitude section. Check the list below for the essential topics of the IBPS PO Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude:
- Permutation and Combination
- Age Problems
- Profit and Loss
- Time and work
- Mixture and Allegations
- Speed, Time and Distance
- Linear Equations
IBPS PO Syllabus For Reasoning
The applicants need to practice thoroughly to be able to ace this section in the specified time period. Analyze the important sections of the IBPS PO Reasoning syllabus before starting your preparation.
- Seating Arrangement and Puzzles: This topic carries a huge weightage of 20-24 questions. 4-5 sets are expected in the exam.
- Syllogism: This section may consist of the topics of reverse syllogism and direct syllogism. The questions from the new pattern can be asked from the main phase.
- Coding-Decoding: The new pattern of questions is expected in the Mains exam. Maybe based on word coding, sentence coding etc.
- Miscellaneous Problems: This comprises the topics like blood relations, directions sense, order and ranking, and alphanumeric series. 3-4 questions of higher level are expected in the exam.
- Input-Output: The questions are based on single and double shifting. In total 5 questions can be expected from this section.
- Data Sufficiency: In approx 5-7 statement-based questions are expected.
- Logical Reasoning: The questions may range from reasoning based to several topics like statement and conclusion, argument, course of action, cause and effect, theme based etc. The aspirants can expect approximately 10 questions in total from this section.
- Computer Aptitude: The questions in this section are expected to meet a moderate level of complexity. Flowchart-based questions can be a part of the exam.
IBPS PO English Syllabus
The important topics for the IBPS PO syllabus for English are mentioned here in detail. The candidates are advised to look into the syllabus and schedule their preparations. The English section will account for 40 marks, in total 35 questions are to be answered in 40 minutes. They need to score well in this exam to accomplish their dreams of being recruited as Probationary Officers.
IBPS PO Syllabus
Type of Questions/ Level
Questions based on synonyms and antonyms
2 sets which account for 12-18 questions
Questions may be asked from the new pattern
New pattern-based questions
Para jumbles/ Sentence Rearrangement
New pattern-based questions
Errors from multiple parts of the sentence, the new pattern may be asked
Fill in the blanks
Double or triple filler based
Sentence/ Paragraph Completion
The incomplete sentences or paragraphs are to be completed
The sentences have to be connected with the use of the right words.
New pattern questions
Vocabulary usage, word usage and grammar usage
IBPS PO Syllabus For General Awareness
The IBPS PO syllabus of General Awareness is not constricted to any specified syllabus. It will screen the candidates on their knowledge of the current scenario and the happenings in the world. The applicants are highly recommended to look out for the under-noted topics and prepare accordingly. They ought to be updated about the latest news and important headlines.
- Banking & Financial Awareness
- Current Affairs
- Static General Awareness
IBPS PO Syllabus For Descriptive Test
The Descriptive Test in the IBPS PO Mains evaluates candidates' writing skills through essay and letter writing. Aspirants must effectively convey their thoughts and ideas on given topics within a specified word limit. This test assesses their ability to articulate opinions and present information coherently. A well-structured and well-articulated response is essential to secure a good score in the Descriptive Test and enhance the chances of selection.
Aspirants should practice writing essays on current topics, preferably on a computer using the keyboard. For letter writing, both formal and informal letters should be practiced.