Railways Station Master Work Profile
Duty Ambience of Station Master in Indian Railway
ASM (Assistant Station Master) has now changed to SM(Station Master) is considered a good echelon under Indian Railways. Generally, each station has four Station Masters & they work in shifts. The primary job is to take care of train movements across his/her station, punctually and without any extra detention. The job of Station Master seems quite easy, routine and non-hectic to many people, but it takes ceaseless efforts and brain exercise in making any train journey comfortable, safe and fast. It’s the Station Master who ensures the smooth running of trains and takes responsibility for the safety of passengers and staffs too.
In case of any medical emergencies, Station Master's responsibility is to look over it and provide with proper medical care with the coordination of medical officers as soon as possible. Apart from these, an SM also has to coordinate with the station manager and issue a caution order to every train that halts at the station. Sometimes, in small stations, Station Masters are also being assigned with commercial jobs like ticket/parcel bookings, reservations etc. A Station Master also plays the role of manager at his/her station and takes care of rescue operations in case of any exigencies.
Railway Station Master Salary (In Hand & Gross)
Here are the complete details of the Station Master's salary after the execution of the 7th Pay Commission.
*BASIC SALARY: 35,400
*DA TPA: 90
*X Class City: 8496(24%)
*Y Class City: 5664(16%)
*Z Class City: 2832(8%)
GROSS SALARY of Station Master in Indian Railway:
*X Class City: 50,255
*Y Class City: 47,424
*Z Class City: 44,592
DEDUCTION in Salary of Station Master in Indian Railway:
*NPS 10% of (3): 3,717
*Professional Tax: 250
*Total Deduction: 3997
In-Hand SALARY of Station Master in Indian Railway:
*X Class City: 46,260
*Y Class City: 43,320
*Z Class City: 40,580
ALLOWANCES paid to Station Master in Indian Railway:
Here are the complete details of allowances that Indian Railways Station Masters get along with their salaries:
*Night duty allowance of Rs 2700 per month.
*Travelling Allowances and others.
Railway Station Master Salary Slip
Railways Station Master Career/ Promotional Aspects
In Indian Railways, promotions are based on vacancies which makes it very untimely. There is no hard and fast rule of being promoted. However, if an employee is not being promoted for more than 10 years, the Railways advances the grade pay of that employee with arrears up to the current day. But we cannot say that there are no promotions, late or early but promotions are for sure. Here are further details regarding the promotional aspects of Station Master(SM):
Very first echelon a Station Master get after being promoted is Station Superintendent (SS).
Secondly, SS to Assistant Operations Manager (AOM).
And lastly, AOM (Assistant Operations Manager) to Divisional Operation Manager (DOM).
PERKS of Station Master in Indian Railway
A Station Master working under the biggest employer of India i.e Indian Railways and get many perks in regard to their services. Some perks which a Station Master gets are discussed below:
- Compensation on lieu holidays.
- A travelling card issued by Indian Railways which provides free travelling all over India in 3AC to the employee and his family members.
- Daily allowance along with mileage allowance for a local journey beyond 8 km.
- Special allowance for child care for women with disabilities and educational allowances.
- Female candidates get privilege during posting. Female candidates are mostly posted in city areas.
- Special Compensatory Allowances (Tribal/Schedule area).
CONS of Station Master in Indian Railway
Indian Railway provides a bucket full of benefits to their employees as various allowances and perks but we cannot deny the fact that there are still some headaches and things which can slew the minds of the employees especially Station Master as they have to work according to the circumstances. In case of exigencies, they have to work as a manager, sometimes they have to do commercial jobs which can be a headache for a Station Master. Following are some common cons of a station master profile:
- The very first point can be about the area of posting. Sometimes being posted in a very remote area can be difficult to tackle as there are minimal facilities available.
- Secondly, the inappropriate division of workload. A Station Master handling 10 trains per day and another handling 100 trains per day get the same salary.
- In small stations, a Station Master has to be multitasking and he has to do various jobs like ticket/parcel bookings, dealing with reservation problems.
- Thirdly, in case of any delay in train's schedule, it’s the station master who has to answer the queries of passengers and sometimes he has to go through the harsh words in case of long delays.
- The station master is responsible and answerable to the authority in case of accident/mistakes.
Here we end up our article on Railways Station Master Salary, Job Profile & Career Prospects. If you have any query buzzing in your mind, please feel free to write it in the comments section below.
More from us:
All The Best !!!
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.