Facts about the Capital of West Bengal
- The capital of West Bengal occupies an area of approximately 185 km2 in the state.
- The city of Kolkata is the seventh-most populous city and had a population of 4,486,679 according to the Census report of 2011.
- Kolkata is also known as the literary capital of the country and is the birthplace of the celebrated writer and poet Rabindranath Tagore. The city has also produced various artists in different fields and is known for its appreciation of art and culture.
- The most spoken languages in the city are Bengali and English and even many vernaculars.
- The city has the oldest electric tram system in Asia that is still active today and is one of the prominent modes of public transportation in the city.
Capital of West Bengal
The capital of West Bengal is the metropolitan city of Kolkata, which was previously called Calcutta. The city is famous for its art and culture which it takes immense pride in. Moreover, the city is the seventh most populous place in the country where people of different faiths and religions live together peacefully.
☛ Related Questions: