Idioms and Phrases for SSC 2022
Idioms and phrases for SSC CGL and other exams are extremely significant. If candidates are familiar with important idioms and phrases as well as their meanings, they can easily get a good score in the English section. Candidates who are aspiring to make their career in govt jobs must learn the idioms and phrases for SSC 2022 exams.
What are Idioms?
Idioms are nothing but a collection of words or phrases with established widespread metaphorical meanings. These statements cannot be taken literally since doing so would be meaningless. Grammar rules do not necessarily apply to idioms. Idioms are expressions that depict human activities, responses to specific circumstances, social traits, routines, and traditions.
Some Examples of idioms are given below
Idiom: Apple of someone's eyes
- Meaning: a person or thing that someone loves very much
- Sentence: Kamal's eldest daughter is the apple of his eye as she is his firstborn.
Idiom: A left-handed compliment
- Meaning: An insult in the pretence of expression of appreciation.
- Sentence: She said she liked my hair, but it turned out to be a left-handed compliment when she asked how long I'd been dyeing it.
Idiom: A sight for sore eyes
- Meaning: a person or thing that one is extremely pleased or relieved to see.
- Sentence: After being away from home for so long, my friends and family were a sight for my sore eyes.
What are Phrases?
A phrase is a group of words without a subject and verb. In English, a phrase is a collection (or pair) of words. A phrase can be brief or lengthy, but it lacks the subject-verb agreement required to form a clause.
Some examples of phrases are given below:
- The bewildered tourist was lost.
- He was waiting for the rain to stop.
- The lost puppy was a wet and stinky dog.
- She was upset when it didn't boil.
- The flu clinic had seen many cases of infectious disease.
- Taking my dog for a walk is fun.
- It was a story as old as time.
- Walking in the rain can be difficult.
Idioms and Phrases Questions for SSC CGL Exams 2022
Generally, idioms and phrases questions that are asked in the SSC exams are easy to moderate in the difficulty level and mostly repeated from the previous years' SSC question papers. Candidates are given the idiom or phrase and asked to choose the right option describing its meaning or vice versa. Check out some of the idioms and phrases questions given below to know the question pattern
1. To give oneself airs
- Space to breathe
- Acting strange
- Behaving arrogantly
2. At a stone's throw
- At a short distance
- At a place where quarrels take place
- At a great distance
- A quarry
3. Bone of contention
- A delicious non-vegetarian item
- An item which made them content
- Cause for quarrel
- A link between them
4. To end in smoke
- To fail
- To create smoke
- To end
- To emit smoke
5. To spill the beans
- To reveal partial truth
- To be untidy
- To reveal a secret
- To conceal a fact
Idioms and Phrases for SSC CGL 2022 PDF
Given the importance of idioms and phrases for SSC exams, we have prepared a compilation of 100+ Idioms and Phrases for SSC 2022 exams. Candidates can download Idioms and Phrases for SSC PDF from the direct link given below.
Quick Tips to Learn Idioms and Phrases for SSC CGL 2022
Because there are so many idioms and phrases in the English language, it might be difficult for SSC aspirants to remember them all. It's not tough to learn idioms and phrases for SSC exams 2022 like SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SSC GD Constable, etc. With the appropriate strategy and some helpful tips, students may effortlessly recall idioms and phrases and improve their scores. Given below are some quick tips that can help you memorize idioms and phrases for SSC CGL 2022 in an effective way
- One Step at a Time: Avoid attempting to memorise so many idioms in one sitting. It will lead to confusion and difficulties in revising idioms. Decide on a goal number and strive to learn that many idioms per day. Start with 20 idioms per day.
- Try to relate idioms to the visuals and representations in the pictures: One of the best strategies is this one. When you hear an idiom, attempt to visualise it in your head again and then try to connect the image to the phrase's meaning.
- Understand the Idioms' Context: Make an effort to understand the context in which an expression or idiom was used. You will be able to understand and remember an idiom better as a result. Context is therefore essential.
- Learn, write, and revise
- Try to speak with friends and family on a regular basis using these idioms.
Stay tuned for more useful study notes!
|SSC & Railway Exams||SSC CPO Exam|
|SSC CGL Exam||SSC MTS Exam|
|SSC CHSL Exam||SSC Steno Exam|
|SSC GD Constable Exam|
All The Best !!!
DREAM, STRIVE & SUCCEED With US!
Prepare for SSC Exams 2021-22 with BYJU'S Exam Prep Course
3 Crore+ Registered Aspirants | 2.5 Crore Downloads | 50,000+ Selections