In the language portion, questions are asked in three sections i.e. Vocabulary, Grammar and Comprehension. And whether it is an exam or not, the fact is that ‘Vocabulary’ is the backbone of any language. Also in SSC CGL, most of the questions are asked from the vocab section only. SSC CGL Tier 2 topic-wise weightage shows that there are nearly 30 questions asked from the vocabulary section. Hence, by default, it is the most important thing to learn.
SSC CGL Vocabulary Strategy for Tier 2 Exam
Let’s say you study 20 words along with their synonyms/ antonyms a day. But when you try to memorize them you must have noticed that you were able to recall only a few. Here we will discuss the tricks to strengthen SSC CGL vocabulary in a short time span.
In order to make your SSC CGL Tier 2 English Vocabulary strong, you do not need to learn very tough words as the difficulty level varies from easy to medium. But to know enough, the following steps might help you. To excel the SSC CGL English vocabulary, you need to learn Synonyms and Antonyms, One Word Substitution, Idioms & Phrases and new words for the Cloze test and Reading Comprehension.
Here are the golden tips that will help you to build a strong vocabulary in 30 Days for SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam:
1. Reading is the best way to learn new words!
- Point to be noted, here reading does not suggest the list of words you have in your book. That is to say, reading newspapers and books, be it novels or poems or essays, boosts your vocabulary. Try to read an English newspaper thoroughly to learn new words. Other than pleasure reading, step out of your comfort zone and try to read more books of other genres. Try to solve the word puzzles and crosswords in the newspapers. It is very effective.
2. Set a target to learn a particular number of words each day
- Set yourself a target to learn the minimum amounts of words each day and stick to your routine. Setting a target will help you achieve your goal faster and also create a bank of astounding words which would be very helpful in scoring the maximum marks in SSC CGL Vocabulary.
3. Do not just read the new words, store them!
- Make a list of your own. Try to learn at least 10 to 15 words a day along with their synonyms and antonyms. If you are reading from books, try to use them in practical situations of your daily life. Use them in your regular conversation and try to make sentences with them.
4. Learn many new words with the same root words
- Try to memorise as many new words as possible which have the same root word it will help you memorise the word faster and help you retain it for a longer duration of time.
5. Use the learnt words in conversation/writing
- You can use the words that you have learnt in your day-to-day conversation, this like make a good grasp of the vocabulary as well as your speaking skills. You can also make habit of daily diary writing this will also help you memorise the words faster and retain them for a longer duration.
6. Understand & Memorize
- Most of us have a habit of memorizing words without understanding the meaning, usage, and root properly. Try to learn the root words and the uses of suffixes and prefixes. For example, “duc” is a Latin root meaning to lead or to make and words made from it are: Produce, Deduce, Reduce, etc.
7. Learn in a Fun Way
- Watch English news channels, movies, and even tv-series and note down all the new words you learn. Later make sentences with them. These can help you on a broad scale in learning the idioms, phrases and one-word substitution and their practical usage.
8. Previous Year Questions' is the Key!
- Do not forget to solve the SSC CGL Tier 2 English Section of previous years’ question papers. It is actually an open secret that the commission keeps repeating the SSC CGL Vocabulary question. Hence, your preparation is incomplete without revising the SSC CGL Previous Year papers.
9. Install a good dictionary app on your phone
- There are a good number of apps that are solely dedicated to improving your SSC CGL vocabulary and being phone an integral part of our lives nowadays it is highly advisable to download a good dictionary app on your phone and check it at least once a day to gain the maximum benefits.
10. Test Yourself!
- Try to take at least one online vocabulary test a day. We keep providing you with daily quizzes. Besides you can take out any random paragraph and make your own cloze test.
Thus, with smaller goals and less time investment, you can win the game, just like that. Also, you can find the SSC CGL Vocabulary books here. So, Bon apprentissage!
|SSC & Railway Exams||SSC CPO Exam|
|SSC CGL Exam||SSC MTS Exam|
|SSC CHSL Exam||SSC Steno Exam|
|SSC GD Constable Exam|