Verbal reasoning comprises a very important & scoring topic that is - Directions. It is one of the easiest topics to score in most of the Railways & SSC Exams. The Concept behind the Directions is the same that we use in our day to day life. This direction sense test is nothing but a precise of sensing the direction. To solve the direction sense test first you need to make a sketch of the data provided. We have clearly described the direction Sense test Tricks, tips and Shortcut here.
Basic Concepts & Short Tricks to Solve Direction Test Questions
Four main directions - North, South, East, West
Four Cardinal Direction - North-East, North-West, South-East, South-West
- At the time of sunrise, if a man stands facing the east, his shadow will be towards the west.
- At the time of sunset, the shadow of an object is always in the east.
- If a man stands facing the North, at the time of sunrise his shadow will be towards his left and at the time of sunset, it will be towards his right.
- At 12:00 noon, the rays of the sun are vertically downward hence there will be no shadow.
The above is the Directional Diagram. The direction sense consists of four different types of problems. Let’s see the types of Direction problems with solutions.
1. A man starting from his home walks 5 km towards East, and then he turns left and goes 4 km. At last, he turns to his left and walks 5 km. Now Find the distance between the man and his home and also find at which direction he is facing?
From the above diagram, we can find he is 4 km from his house and facing the West Direction.
2. A man starting from his home moves 4 km towards East, then he turns right and moves 3 km. Now, what will be the minimum distance covered by him to come back to his home?
3. After Sunrise, Prakash while going to college suddenly met with Lokesh at a crossing point. Lokesh's Shadow was exactly to the right of Prakash. If they were facing each other on which direction was Prakash facing?
Sol. Always Sun rises in the East Direction. So Shadow falls towards West
4. Prem started from his home and moved 5 km to reach the crossing point of the palace. The road opposite to the direction Prem is heading goes to the hospital. The road to the right of Prem goes to the station. If the road which goes to a station is just opposite to the road of the IT-Park, in which direction is Prem which leads to the IT- Park?
From the above diagram, it shows that the road which goes towards the IT-Park is left of Prem.
That’s how Direction questions are solved easily. We hope these concepts have made the chapter easy for you all.