'Climate and its classification' is an important topic of Climatology which needs to be done for both preliminary and main examination of UPSC, State PCS and other competitive examinations. Every year, 3-5 questions can be expected from this topic. Herewith, we will start with one type of climate in one write up. In this article, we will extensively discuss Steppe Climate type which is also known as Temperate Continental Climate.
Steppe Climatic Type: Temperate Continental Climate
Climate (Temperature & Precipitation)
- Climate is continental with extremes of temperature.
- Summers are very warm in North America.
- Winters are very cold in the continental steppes of Eurasia.
- In Southern hemisphere, steppe type of climate is never severe because of moderating effects of oceans.
- Great annual range of temperature.
- There is a tremendous difference between the annual temperature range of northern and southern hemisphere because of continentality.
- Annual precipitation is light about 20 inches, varies from 10 to 30 inches according to location.
- June and July are months of heaviest rainfall.
- Occasional depressions of Westerlies bring little precipitation and in the form of snow, in Winters.
- In Southern hemisphere, annual precipitation is more because of maritime influence.
- They lie in interiors of continents, bordering deserts and away from the Mediterranean region.
- Placed under the Westerly wind belt.
- In the northern hemisphere, grasslands are entirely continental and extensive.
- In Eurasia, they are called Steppes stretched from shores of Black sea eastwards to foothills of Altai Mountains.
- Grasslands are known by different names as given below:
Hungary and plains of Manchuria
Argentina and Uruguay
Northern South Africa
Bush-Veld (more tropical)
Southern South Africa
High Veld (more Temperate)
Murray-Darling basin of Australia
Vegetation & Wildlife
- Steppes are practically treeless and grasses are much shorter.
- Long Prairie grass is tall, fresh and nutritious. They are found in regions like Russian Ukraine and some areas of Asiatic Steppes.
- Short Steppe type of grass prevails in continental interiors of Asia.
- Temperate grasslands vary in their appearance with seasons.
- Towards equator, steppe grass becomes shorter and sparser, till it merges into the desert with thorny scrub.
- With an increase in precipitation polewards, it gives rise to wooded steppes.
- Kirghiz, Kazakhs, Kalmuk in Asiatic Steppes, Red Indians in North America.
More from Us:
Check other links also:
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App.