About Industrial Corridor Project
- Union Government is developing several Industrial Corridor Projects as part of National Industrial Corridor programme.
- Objective: It is aimed at development of futuristic industrial cities in India which can compete with the best manufacturing and investment destinations in the world.
- Implementing Agency: The National Industrial Corridor Development Corporation Limited (NICDC) is the implementing agency for all Industrial Corridor projects, acting as a knowledge partner to NICDIT for various project development activities.
- Monitoring and Review Mechanism:
- Union Government, on December 7, 2016 expanded the scope of existing DMIC-Project Implementation Trust Fund (PITF) and re-designated it as National Industrial Corridor Development and Implementation Trust (NICDIT), which will monitor and review all the corridor projects.
- All the existing Industrial Corridors and other corridors in future will function under the administrative control of NICDIT.
- NICDIT will function under the administrative control of Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) under Commerce & Industry Ministry. Secretary, DPIIT acts as the chairman of NICDIT with CEO, NITI Aayog and other Secretaries to Govt. of India as its members.
Benefits of Industrial Corridor Projects
- It will enhance India’s competitiveness in manufacturing through the creation of world class infrastructure and reduced logistics costs.
- It will create employment opportunities and economic growth leading to overall socio-economic development in the region.
Industrial Corridors Projects Taken up
At present, 11 Industrial Corridors Projects are being constructed, with 32 Projects scheduled to be completed in four phases between 2024 and 2025:
- Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC)
- Chennai Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (CBIC)
- Amritsar Kolkata Industrial Corridor (AKIC)
- East Coast Industrial Corridor (ECIC) with Vizag Chennai Industrial Corridor (VCIC) as Phase 1
- Bengaluru Mumbai Industrial Corridor (BMIC)
- Extension of CBIC to Kochi via Coimbatore
- Hyderabad Nagpur Industrial Corridor (HNIC)
- Hyderabad Warangal Industrial Corridor (HWIC)
- Hyderabad Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (HBIC)
- Odisha Economic Corridor (OEC)
- Delhi Nagpur Industrial Corridor (DNIC)