GATE is a reputated all India examination, administered and conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) on behalf of the National Coordination Board - GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Government of India.
There is a never-ending loop when we try to figure what we want to do for the next step after the one that we are pursuing right now like after school, after graduation, after Post-graduation, and so on.
List of Opportunities After Clearing GATE Exam
Here are some opportunities through GATE.
1. Postgraduate Entrance (M.tech)
You might think of higher studies after completing your graduation and M.tech is the most popular option for engineering students after graduation. It will provide you to get expertise in your area so that you will be able to get a good job anywhere you want. Most companies search for postgraduates as they are better at problem-solving skills. Although you will get many more opportunities after graduation, a master’s degree will gradually increase your job opportunities and give you a job in reputed MNCs.
Different benefits of the M.Tech program are:
- Some of the top companies hire from institutes like IIT and NIT. They look for students with experience, and experience can come after you finish your M.Tech.
- Higher pay packages
- Faculty/Research positions in educational institutes and most of the R&D centers.
GATE scorecard is valid for M.Tech admission for 3 years.
2. Public sector units (PSU)
GATE exam became hype after various public-sector units (PSUs) signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with IITs for recruitment through GATE. So, clearing the GATE examination can also help you get government sector jobs.
GATE Score Card is used by various PSUs for hiring candidates. PSUs like ONGC, GAIL, IOCL, PGCIL, NLC, NTPC, NLC hire through GATE Scores followed by Group Discussion, Personal Interview, and Group Task. Even DRDO sometimes recruits through GATE Scores else it will conduct its own written test. Some PSUs like SAIL, ISRO, VIZAG, BEL, BSNL
Some of the leading PSUs in India use GATE scores as their eligibility criteria:
• Mecon Limited (MECON)
• Power Grid India (PGCIL)
• Heavy Engineering Corporation Limited (HECL)
• Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
• Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
• Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
• Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
• National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
• Bharat Heavy Electrical Limited (BHEL)
3. Ph.D. Entrance
A Master's degree leads to specialization, cultivates, and brings out the best of your interest in a certain area which may further interest you in research/Ph.D.
Based on the GATE score, some of the foreign university (Like NTU, Singapore) offers Ph.D. position without any GRE score.
The recruitment process for the Ph.D. program includes a valid GATE score and then facing an interview panel based on the respective interest area.
4. Fellowship Program in Management (FPM)
It is a five-year program run at IIMs. This program has the following features:
- A monthly stipend is offered of Rs 29,000-30,000
- No tuition fees for almost four years and nine months
- Students who live off-campus will get a house-rent allowance (HRA) of Rs 8,000 for a single student and Rs 13,000 for married students
For more details, you can visit different IIM websites.
5. Research Opportunities
GATE-qualified students are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects.
There are some particular research positions available through GATE in Bhabha Atomic Research Center (BARC). However, BARC conducts its examination for recruitment. Also, industries like ISRO conduct their exams in a similar pattern as GATE.
I hope you got a rough idea of various opportunities which you can pursue after GATE.
Make calculated decisions today for a secure tomorrow and as we say Sahi prep hai to life set hai
All the best!