Toppers' Strategy for GATE 2022 Exam Preparation
“With discipline, dedication, and diligence, you will achieve the goal”
Here are the steps of the toppers' strategy which will help with your GATE preparation:
Know About GATE Exam
- GATE Exam is an online examination of three hours, with 65 questions carrying a total of 100 marks.
- The question paper will consist of Multiple Select questions, Multiple-Choice questions, and Numerical Answer Type questions.
Check out the detailed GATE 2022 Exam pattern below:
Computer Based Test (CBT)
Number of Subjects (Papers)
General Aptitude (GA)
Candidate’s Selected Subject
Type of Questions
(a) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
(b) Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
Questions for testing these abilities
Analysis & Synthesis
Number of Questions
10 (GA) + 55 (subject) = 65 Questions
Distribution of Marks in all Papers
EXCEPT for papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH,
XH and XL
General Aptitude: 15 Marks
Engineering Mathematics: 13 Marks
Subject Questions: 72 Marks
Total: 100 Marks
General Aptitude: 15 Marks
Subject Questions: 85 Marks
Total: 100 Marks
Questions carry 1 mark and 2 marks
Know GATE Syllabus & Weightage of each Subject
- Since there are many subjects included in the syllabus, it is important that you should observe the complete syllabus.
- Match your knowledge with the GATE syllabus and plan your preparation with known subjects.
- Know Weightage for each subject based on previous year papers and target your preparation to carry more marks in the GATE exam.
Select Good Books & Study Materials for GATE Preparation
- The selection of good study material and Gate Books is very important at the initial stages of GATE Preparation.
- Reading one or two books are sufficient for each subject. Always give first priority to read from a book rather than other resources.
- You may prepare with an online video lecture, course material, coaching notes, etc.
- You can also prepare the books that you have followed during the undergraduate course.
Tips to Remember & Follow During GATE Preparation
- Understand the previous year questions pattern.
- Practice previous year questions during preparation.
- Try to understand the concepts, practice tests and revise regularly.
- Most of the questions in GATE are Conceptual & Numerical, so you must try to improve your solving ability & time management to score a good rank.
Plan Your GATE Preparation
- A 7 to 8 months Preparation Plan will be a good idea to crack the GATE exam.
- Create the preparation plan daily wise or weekly wise by giving enough time for each subject.
- Your plan should include syllabus completion, revision, and practice tests.
- It is a good idea to make a timetable and formulate your daily tasks. Once you have set daily, weekly and monthly targets, you will see better results for the same amount of effort.
Follow Strict Study Plan to Complete GATE Syllabus
- The first step in the preparation is to start with an easy subject and an important one. Toppers' suggestion is, to begin with, mathematics and one basic technical subject.
- Read topic by topic to complete the entire GATE Syllabus.
- Make a revision note for each topic that should cover all important definitions, formulas, differences, etc.
- Practice topic wise previous GATE questions after understanding each topic.
- Attempt the quizzes/tests for each topic and subject to know your performance.
- Clear all your doubts during your preparation.
- Discuss your doubts on "BYJU'S Exam Prep for GATE" and Practice quizzes/tests to compare the performance with others.
- Identify the weakness areas while practising quizzes/tests and try to revise and practise those topics.
Do Frequent Revision for GATE Preparation
- It is not just sufficient enough to prepare revision notes, but also to revise them regularly.
- Read the revision notes on a weekly basis to recall the concepts of prepared subjects.
- Each time you revise the same topic/subject, your revision time will reduce to recall the concepts.
Practice Mock Tests Regularly
- You can practice mock tests in two ways. One is self-practice on a daily basis, and the other is attempting online mock tests.
- Practice the mock tests to improve performance. Performance depends on how much time is devoted to answering each question and how many questions are answered correctly.
Revise and Practice in the Last Stage
- Finally, you should give time for both revisions and practice.
- Practice more tests, identify the weaker topics in each test and revise them.
- You can practice 2 to 5 tests every day and recall all concepts during your practice.
- Your confidence will be increased day by day at this stage.
Last Minute Strategy to Crack GATE
- During the last two days, you should not study any new topic.
- During these two days, focus on revising the concepts.
- Be ready with your examination admit card and know your centre before the exam day.
- BYJU'S Exam Prep for GATE shares all important information about GATE, articles, daily quizzes, and study plans. BYJU'S Exam Prep for GATE also conducts online test series to face similar GATE questions in practice.
“You may encounter many disappointments.
Tell yourself, “I am good enough, I will try again”
If you are preparing for ESE/ GATE or other PSU Exams, then avail Online Classroom Program for ESE and GATE:
Attempt online mock tests of ESE & GATE 2022 at BYJU'S Exam Prep to improve the exam score in all disciplines.
We have seen a considerable increase in student success for the past three consecutive years. In 2019, 30+ students were under AIR 100, in 2020 the number goes to 60+ and in GATE 2021 we got 100+ students in this category.
So we are dedicating a whole page basis of their achievement. Here, you can check the views and experiences about BYJU'S Exam Prep for GATE from its rising stars.
All the best.