SSC or Staff Selection Commission is a recruitment board that conducts different entrance examinations for various Group-B and Group-C posts in Ministries and Departments of Govt. of India. SSC exams include, 'English language and Comprehension,' which comprise of sentence improvement questions and answers SSC exams. It aims to test the basic understanding of comprehension and writing abilities of candidates for the English language.
English language and comprehension are one of the sections in both the tier I and tier II of SSC exams. For sentence improvement problems in SSC exams, time is as important as the grammar rules. To get maximum correct answers in a given time, the only trick is to practice. Students can practice their skills online with a sentence improvement quiz for SSC exams available online.
Important Topics for Sentence Improvement
Some of the crucial topics to solve sentence improvement question and answer in SSC exams are:
- Subject-verb agreement: The subject must agree with the verb in number.
- Repetition: Sometimes, a similar thing is written twice and creates redundancy.
- Modifiers: Modifiers are words that give information about other words.
- Parallelism: It is the format of the different words and phrases in a sentence,
- Diction: It refers to the choice of words and phrases used in a sentence.
Tips to Quickly Solve Sentence Improvement Questions
As you start preparing for the SSC & Railway exam, remember that practice and discipline is the best way to master the skills required to crack most of the competitive exams. Discussed below are some of the tips:
- Improve your vocabulary through reading. Reading also helps improve concentration.
- Write to remember. Like reading improves vocabulary, writing helps in the application of learned concepts and words.
- Be thorough with sentence structure through reading and practice.
- Practising grammar rules also help by keeping you updated with grammar rules.
Importance of Sentence Improvement Questions
Sentence improvement question and answer in SSC exams holds importance for the following reasons:
- A sentence consists of different parts, and hence the sentence improvement questions are best to test the candidates' English comprehension.
- A candidate's ability to identify the correct sentence or the error is an indication of having clear concepts of grammar.
- Identifying errors also implies an eye for detail of the candidate, which is required many times on the job.
- When a candidate can understand and identify the correct sentence, he will be able to communicate better while doing the job.
Recommended Books for Sentence Improvement
Given below are some of the book suggestion for students to practice sentence improvement questions:
900+ Sentence Improvement SSC Previous Year Questions
A Comprehension Guide to Sentence Arrangements for SSC and Bank Exams
SSC Chapter-wise Solved Papers English Language
Why Choose BYJU'S Exam Prep Sentence Improvement Questions?
The study material by BYJU'S Exam Prep provides all the important topics and rules to solve sentence improvement questions. It includes topics such as subject-verb agreement, modifiers, parallelism, diction, etc. Additionally, the website and the mobile App of BYJU'S Exam Prep has practice questions and quizzes on sentence improvement.
Students often ask about sentence improvement tricks for SSC exams or sentence improvement formula for SSC exams. However, the only trick is practice. The best method is to start preparations in time with discipline and dedication. With a huge number of candidates appearing for the SSC CGL, the best combination of practice and discipline is the only key to success.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I find sentence improvement rules in Hindi?
Yes, you can find various online platforms that provide rules in Hindi. It is beneficial for the students who had their secondary education in the Hindi language as a medium of instruction. However, it is advisable not to practice translation while learning grammar rules.
- Does practising sentence improvement SSC CGL previous year questions help in the preparation?
Practising previous year questions for any exam helps. BYJU'S Exam Prep provides previous year questions with solutions. This helps you practice and test your knowledge. While attempting previous year questions, try to attempt the questions in a given time.
- What are the sentence improvement topics for SSC exams?
There are no specific topics because it is the test of the candidate's English writing and comprehension abilities. Understanding of basic rules of sentence structure and English grammar is required. Practice as much as you can for better performance in the exam.
- What is the best strategy to cover the sentence improvement syllabus for SSC exams?
The best strategy to cover the syllabus is to practice. The sentence improvement syllabus includes the knowledge of common errors, grammar, vocabulary, and sentence structure up to the secondary level. Once you know the syllabus, you must practice as much as you can to be able to attempt maximum questions in the exam.
- Do I need sentence improvement questions and answers pdf for SSC exams?
Preparation depends on your ability. You may find the pdf on the SSC website and other educational portals. You can also take a sentence improvement online test for SSC exams to practice and test your knowledge.