Fundamental arithmetical operations form an essential part of every Mathematical concept. The quantitative aptitude section heavily relies upon the basic arithmetic operations. This section holds significant weightage in SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, RRB NTPC, NRA CET, and other government exams. This makes it absolutely necessary for the aspirants to be well-versed with the fundamental arithmetical operations.
Arithmetical operations questions involve either the basic topics or the combination and derivatives of the same. There are four basic arithmetic operations and a few standard rules to be followed while solving the related questions.
Important Fundamental Arithmetical Operations Topics
Arithmetical operations can be performed on almost all types of numbers, including integers, fractions, decimals, etc. The given table displays the fundamental arithmetical operations’ topics:
Addition refers to the summation of two or more quantities/values to make one single quantity.
E.g. 3 + 5 = 8
Subtraction tells the difference between two quantities/values. It is the opposite of addition.
E.g. 25 – 6 = 19
Multiplication (× or *)
Multiplication can be seen as repeated addition of two or more quantities/value to form one quantity. E.g. 2 x 5 = 10
The division is the opposite of multiplication. While multiplication leads to a larger value, division results in a smaller one. E.g. 28 ÷ 7 = 4
Tips to Solve Fundamental Arithmetical Operations Questions
There are some standard facts and rules to remember while handling arithmetic operations questions. To avoid any mistake in answer, keep the following things in mind:
- Adding two positive integers always results in a positive integer. Similarly, adding two negative integers gives a negative integer.
- If one positive integer and one negative integer are added, the result is a subtraction of the two and carries the sign of the integer with a larger magnitude.
- Multiplication of two positive integers or two negative integers results in a positive and a negative integer, respectively. The same holds true for the division.
- Multiplication of one positive integer or one negative integer gives a negative integer. The same applies to division.
The above rules remain the same for the operations carried out on more than two integers or numbers.
Importance of Fundamental Arithmetic Operations in Quantitative Section of SSC, Railways & Other Government Exams
The quantitative section of the government exams is highly focussed on the arithmetic questions. Glimpse through the given points to learn about the importance of fundamental arithmetic operations in the quantitative section:
- Past analysis shows that the arithmetic topics (number system, average, ratio, interest, time & work, etc.) constitute nearly 50% of the quantitative section in exams of SSC, RRB, and similar others.
- Data Interpretation (DI) is the second-largest part of the Quantitative section, accounting for 20% of its questions.
- Both the above-stated parts of the Quantitative section demand a great number of calculations based on arithmetical operations.
- Aspirants need to learn a few shortcuts and tricks of simplification and approximations to master the arithmetic and DI questions. These tricks require a good knowledge of fundamental arithmetic operations.
Most Recommended Books for Fundamental Arithmetic Operations
There are plenty of books available for learning fundamental arithmetic operations. Given below are some of the best and most popular ones:
Quantitative Aptitude: Numerical Ability
Fast Track Objective Arithmetic
Objective Arithmetic: Numerical Ability Tests for Competitive Examinations
Magical Book on Quicker Maths
For a more basic understanding of arithmetic operations, the aspirant may start with the NCERT books of grade 6-11, before picking the ones mentioned above.
Why prepare Arithmetic Operations from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep offers a series of mock tests, quizzes, and preparation material for enhancing speed and efficiency in arithmetic operations. Its mock tests and previous years’ papers (such as fundamental arithmetical operations pdf) are devised based on specific competitive exams (SSC, RRB, etc.). Mentors at BYJU'S Exam Prep are highly proactive in answering the queries and clearing the doubts of aspirants. Besides, the BYJU'S Exam Prep community extends a platform for the aspirants to interact with each other and discuss related questions and latest exam patterns. With BYJU'S Exam Prep’s streamlined preparation approach, the students can learn, progress, and monitor their arithmetic operations performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the Properties of Arithmetic Operations?
The four main properties are additive, commutative, associative, and distributive.
- What is the Order of Arithmetic Operations?
Arithmetic operations should be done by following the BODMAS or PEMDAS rule.
- What is the value of Zero in Addition and Subtraction?
Any number added or subtracted by zero remains the same in value.
- What is the value of Zero in Multiplication and Division?
If a number is multiplied by zero, it results in zero. But a non-zero number divided by zero is called undefined or infinity.
- Are Arithmetic Operations Required for the Reasoning Section?
The reasoning/analytical section features some symbol-based mathematical questions based on arithmetic operations.
Look for emojis or emoticons in the online gallery and express yourself in a more fancy way.