Fill in the blanks is an important part of the English section of SSC and railway exams. It is imperative to practice the English section and especially the fill in the blanks exercises to obtain proficiency and score well. Many students find this part easy; however, many struggles with it as well. Fill in the blanks are mainly sentences given with blank spaces that are to be filled up by the candidates using a word of the contextually correct part of speech such as noun, verb, adjective, etc.
Fill in the blanks SSC CGL questions can be tricky as only those who are adept in English grammar can nail it. This part has a good mark-wise weightage in both SSC and railway exams. Regular practice and brushing up grammar can help one to prepare well for this topic. Scoring well in English makes your entire score go up. Hence, however basic it may seem, fill in the blank exercises should always be practice well. This section is as integral to the exam as the other sections like reasoning, maths, general awareness, etc. you must keep practising, and there are many question papers to fill in the blanks quiz in Hindi as well.
Important Concepts Regarding Fill in the Blanks:
- In these competitive examinations like SSC, filling in the blanks is a part of the vocabulary section of the English language.
- It includes various other important sections like reading comprehension and grammar.
- The authorities are conducting the exam to judge the candidate's English Skills.
- Apart from this, it tests the candidate’s reading, analytical, speaking, and language skills through the English section of the exam.
Some concepts to Revise are:
Vocabulary and spellings:
it is essential to give dedicated hours to learn and practice the word means, how to use them in a sentence, synonyms of the words, and their correct spellings to be able to attempt the fill in the blanks questions flawlessly.
You need to revise the rules of tenses as you may know the correct word but a fault in its tense will make you lose the entire mark. Tenses of verbs can get confusing and hence must be revised rigorously. There are 3 forms of tenses, like the present, past, and future tenses. These basic tenses further divulge into simple and participle forms making the whole game a bit complex.
Identifying the subject, object, and other components of a sentence and then understanding the subject-verb agreement.
Kinds of sentences:
Whether the sentence is an assertion, a question, an exclamation, or commentary, this will help you identify the tonality and fill up the words accordingly.
Parts of speech:
Understanding the different parts of speeches used in a sentence like a noun, pronoun, preposition, adjective, verb, conjunction, etc.
Tips to Solve Fill the Blanks Questions:
Here are some fill in the blanks tricks for in the SSC/railway exams:
- Knowing general conversational and correct English is the key. Fill in the blanks questions usually don't have very complex sentences and difficult words. They are simple ones but sound in grammar.
- Identifying the common phonetic and spoken English errors can help you master spellings, verb usage, and tenses in a better way.
- Solving fill in the blanks quizzes and practising through sample questions is a good way to improve speed and understanding of this topic.
- Extra reading will always help you master the language and can help your impromptu thinking skills while you attempt the exam.
- Applying the elimination rule while solving each topic of the Fill in the blanks comes very handily. In this elimination rule, it requires you to look at the options one after the other and then identify which ones are unsuitable to be used in the blank. Eliminating these options will help you narrow down the choices for the correct option.
- Brushing up vocabulary is an everyday task and can't be done in one day. Keep a habit of reading the newspapers/ watching English news/ extra trading to improve your vocabulary.
- Keep practising grammar exercises. Grammar mistakes are common and need to be rectified if you want to nail the fill in the blanks section.
- Para-jumble exercises are very helpful to give you a clear understanding of sentence structure that also comes in handy while attempting to solve fill in the blanks SSC.
- Time your practice tests. Keep a stop-watch around when you're solving English questions. Yes, you need to think we'll and fill the blank spaces but thinking fast is also important. Hence time management is of prime importance here.
- Keep solving, fill in the blanks SSC quiz online in BYJU'S Exam Prep and go through our fill in the blanks study material. An integrated approach of studying theory and then solving fill in the blanks questions and answers is a good strategy to adopt.
Books to Prepare Fill in the Blanks
Here are some handy books that have good material on sections like fill the blanks:
● Wren and Martin's book on English grammar
● Together with English workbooks for classes 10 & 12
● Word power made easy by Norman Lewis.
● Michael Swan's book on practical English usage
Why prepare Fill in the Blanks from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep gives leeway to a well-prepared candidate for competitive exams. It's a highly recommended platform for such preparations. With dedicated modules to help you understand the concept like a pro, well-designed and dynamic sample papers, quizzes, and elaborate courses on the topics with syllabi crafted by experts, BYJU'S Exam Prep is an absolute Test Series for competitive exam preparation. Keep solving a lot of Fill in the blanks quiz with answers.
Enrol for our courses today, get access to fill in the blank study guide, and let the training unfold in one of the most creative manners!
Fill in the blanks aren't scary on the face of it. However, the options given to fill in the missing word in the sentence can get confusing at times. Fill in the blank notes is an important thing to keep. It is important to master everyday conversational English, along with your active vocabulary to be able to solve these questions with confidence. Fill in the blanks questions, and answers pdf are a handy way to keep practising. This helps you master the section containing fill in the blanks SSC quiz.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Fill in the blanks?
Fill in the blanks are mainly sentences or paragraphs given with blank spaces that are to be filled up by the candidates using a word of the contextually correct part of speech such as noun, verb, adjective, etc.
- Are fill in the blanks important for SSC and Railway exams?
Yes, this section is very important for SSC and railway exams as the entire English section contains 25+ marks.
- Is Fill in the blanks scoring in competitive exams?
With regular practice and consistent efforts, this section is the easiest to solve and the most scoring bit.
- Is it possible to prepare to fill in the blanks section in one month?
Yes, this section comprises basic English that we all have studied till class 10th and 12th. With the correct preparation strategy, It's possible to prepare in one month for topics like fill in the blanks in a short period. However, vocabulary building is an art that can't be honed in one month. It requires a life-long consistency.
- What is the weightage of marks given to problems of fill in the blanks?
Questions on fill in the blanks contain around 5-10 marks.