The English Language is among the most significant subjects in Staff Selection Commission (SSC) Exams. Error Spotting questions would be a crucial part of Reading Comprehension for SSC, Railways, and many other competitive exams.
You need to recognize the grammatical error in the given sentence. The error may be a misplaced word, incorrect punctuation, and other irregularities. BYJU'S Exam Prep offers a wide range of study material to let you have an Error Spotting formula for SSC exams.
Initially, grasping the sentence and spotting the error might seem to be difficult, as most of the sentences look perfect. Yet, as you start practising through BYJU'S Exam Prep study material, it would be easier for you to solve.
Let us reveal various aspects and understand how it is better to choose BYJU'S Exam Prep as your preparation partner.
Significant Error Spotting Topics
Analyzing the subject to see the variety of topics included in it helps you to prepare considering every detail. As you aim to score the highest marks in SSC CGL, it is wise to go through all the topics in Error Spotting and prepare well.
Error Spotting syllabus for SSC exams includes a variety of aspects. Here is a schematic insight of Error Spotting problems in SSC exams:
SSC Tier I
Easy to Moderate
3 to 5
6 to 10
SSC Tier II
10 to 20
10 to 20
In Error Spotting, you need to spot the error in the given sentence or statement. There would be a ‘No Error’ option as well. You should pick that if the sentence is grammatically correct.
To prepare for Error Spotting topics for SSC exams, you should improve on basic grammar. The errors can be in the parts of speech, participles, gender, the use of subject and verb, tenses, use of articles before a word, and exceptional usage.
This segment may affect your overall score. So, to reach the cut-off, you should gain sufficient knowledge of the format of questions and general errors. Here are a few useful tips to help you score better in error spotting:
Tips to Prepare for Error Spotting Questions:
You would succeed in Error Spotting if you know the right ways to prepare. To fuel your intuition to reach the right answer in the first go, there should be a lot of preparation behind. Here are a few tips that help you improve your error spotting skills:
- Most of the time, the statement looks correct. Yet, there may be some error in it. Study basic grammar rules to spot the error precisely.
- The most significant part is the verb and its correlation with the noun or subject. Then, look for the correct participle form of the verb.
- To get familiar with the general errors, you can go through Error Spotting questions and answers SSC exams by BYJU'S Exam Prep.
- Study all parts of speech in English Grammar, and their usage along with proper placement while constructing a meaningful sentence.
- Adjectives describe the noun or pronoun, while Adverbs describe the verb. So, start practising spotting errors with them.
- Gradeup’s Error Spotting quiz for SSC exams proves helpful in many ways to prepare for spotting error questions.
- A preposition joins two words or phrases. Practise spotting errors with prepositions such as: of, from, in, into, besides, toward, upon, under, beneath, with, and within, and so on.
- Proper usage of articles, a, an and the is significant. Understand the rules for their proper placement.
- Read the given sentence carefully, concentrating on the spellings of every word. If you don’t spot an error in the first go, read again looking at all its parts.
- Refer to Error Spotting notes for SSC exams by BYJU'S Exam Prep to understand the concepts in Grammar and know about a wide range of possible errors to spot.
Significance of Error Spotting Questions in SSC & Other Competitive Exams:
- Error Spotting Questions in SSC and other competitive exams gauge your perfection in English Grammar. The examination conducting bodies expect good verbal and written communication skills from you.
- Error Spotting is a part of English Reading Comprehension and would affect your overall score if you don’t prepare for it. So, neglecting this subject may stop you from reaching the cut-off.
- If you could master the art of spotting errors in different types of sentences, it shows up your command on English Grammar. It is expected by the recruiting bodies from you to have the best English communication skills.
- So, prepare for these questions sparing sufficient time for this segment. You can refer to Error Spotting tricks for SSC exams by BYJU'S Exam Prep to improve your error spotting skills.
Recommended Books for Error Spotting Questions
Referring to the right books improves your basic knowledge and helps you build the confidence to be correct in your very first attempt. Here are our suggestions for books to refer to score well in Error Spotting Questions:
Download Error Spotting questions and answers pdf for SSC exams from BYJU'S Exam Prep website.
This Question Bank provides you with useful insights.
Objective General English by S P Bakshi (Arihant Publications)
This reference book compiles various chapters in English Grammar for complete preparation.
Mirror of Common Errors by Ashok Kumar Singh
This reference book focuses on error spotting explaining a wide range of possibilities.
English for General Competitions by Neetu Singh, KD Publications
This reference book covers various topics focusing on competitive exams.
SSC CGL Spot Errors English by A Upadhyaya
This is a syllabus-specific reference book for SSC CGL.
Why Prepare Spotting Error Questions from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep has been the most preferred online platform to get a variety of study material in one place. BYJU'S Exam Prep offers the most comprehensive set of study material, online coaching videos, and much more to let you prepare for Error Spotting covering every detail.
Thus, BYJU'S Exam Prep would be the best platform to prepare for Error Spotting Questions for SSC, Railways and other competitive exams. If you choose BYJU'S Exam Prep as your preparation partner for SSC CGL, Railways, or any other competitive exams, your journey to success becomes much easier.
Error Spotting is a skill and BYJU'S Exam Prep helps you to develop it in a fun-filled and to-the-point manner. With BYJU'S Exam Prep, learning any tedious subject becomes easier as you get the complete set of study material, coaching, and expert suggestions in one place. Register today to prepare for Error Spotting Questions for SSC CGL and make the most of the available time.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Here are answers to some of the questions that might be in your mind while you prepare for Error Spotting. We hope that these brief answers would clarify your queries and help you make the correct decisions about your preparations for Error Spotting Questions for SSC CGL.
- Which is the best online resource to prepare for Spotting Error Questions?
Answer: Take BYJU'S Exam Prep’s Error Spotting online test for SSC exams for regular practice of Spotting Error Questions. It helps you to understand various errors with clear insights on English Grammar and gain confidence in this segment of the exam.
- How should I improve English Grammar, especially spotting the error questions?
Answer: Extensive reading, studying basic English Grammar from reputed reference books, understanding proper sentence construction and use of parts of speech, and understanding of exceptions would help you improve your English Grammar and Spotting the Error skills.
- How can I practice error spotting questions?
Answer: BYJU'S Exam Prep offers a wide range of study material to let you prepare for error spotting questions. You can go through the notes, problems, tricks, question bank, and attend online virtual classes to understand the concepts well and practice spotting the error in different types of questions. Thus, you can gain confidence and score better.
- What is the exam pattern for error spotting?
Answer: Error Spotting Questions is a part of Reading Comprehension. For Tier I, there would be 3 to 5 questions for two marks each. For Tier II, there would be 10 to 20 questions with one mark, with a higher difficulty level. These are multiple-choice type questions with four options.
- What to do if there is no error in the given sentence?
Answer: If you don’t spot an error in the sentence in the first go, read it carefully, concentrating on every part of it. If you are confident that there is no error, look for the ‘No Error’ option, and choose it.