Coordinate Geometry questions make up a significant portion of the quantitative analysis section of competitive government examinations mainly Staff Selection Commission. SSC is one such exam that many students aspire to qualify. The details intend to make such students aware of the basics of Coordinate Geometry to prepare them for the SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, and SSC MTS exams.
Here we will take a look at the Coordinate Geometry chapters, Coordinate Geometry questions, and Coordinate Geometry formulae to better understand the underlying fundamentals of the topic. Therefore, we have included a Coordinate Geometry quiz and Coordinate Geometry tricks to help our students.
Important Coordinate Geometry Topics
Also known as analytic geometry or Cartesian geometry, Coordinate Geometry is a unit of classical mathematics that studies geometry using a coordinate system.
A coordinate system is a system used in Coordinate Geometry. The system uses one or more numbers that are mathematically termed as coordinates and determines the position of the points or other geometric elements on a plan or in a space.
A Euclidean plane is a coordinate system with two dimensions.
A Euclidean space is a coordinate system with three dimensions.
Coordinate Geometry is a vast subject and, therefore, it will be impossible to prepare the topic in one go. However, here are some of the common topics and equations you should pay more attention to while preparing Coordinate Geometry for SSC exams:
- Distance formula
- Section formula
- Slope -intercept form
- Intercept form
- One point form
- Two point form
- Questions based on graphs
- Equation of line parallel to the y-axis
- Equation of line parallel to the x-axis
- The angle between two lines
- Equation of lines parallel to each other
- Equation of lines perpendicular to each other
Tips to Solve/ Prepare Coordinate Geometry Questions
Coordinate Geometry is a tricky topic that requires clarity and understanding which can be attained by time to time practice and consistent hard work. Here are some tips on how to prepare the Coordinate Geometry topic:
- Reading the question carefully and analysing what is actually asked in the question saves a lot of time. The questions are twisted and confusing at times. The best way is to read the question with a calm mind and figure out what actually is asked. This will save a lot of time and reduces the chances of making mistakes.
- More and more practice of the questions will bring better understanding and clarity. You can then go for attempting the previous year papers to check your progress.
- Always practice every question my making a figure. Without making the figure you will not get the clear idea what is to be done in the question.
- Stick to one particular book for covering a specific topic as switching books for one topic can lead to a lot of confusion rendering you puzzled. The best book that you can follow is SL Loney.
- Memorize and learn all the important formulas in order to save time in the exam.
- Give yourself the chance to understand and solve the question before looking up for the solution to it. This will help you build up confidence and also make you understand how to tackle the problem.
- Solve a question in a systematic way so that you don’t get confused on your way down to the final solution.
Importance of Coordinate Geometry in Quantitative Section of Competitive Government Exams
It important to study Coordinate Geometry while preparing for your SSC exam for the following four reasons:
- Coordinate Geometry forms a large portion of the quantitative analysis section on the SSC exam.
- The quantitative analysis section is designed by the test makers to evaluate the quantitative aptitude of SSC aspirants, an important requirement for qualifying the exam.
- Practising questions of Coordinate Geometry helps students with time management while taking the actual exam.
- Coordinate Geometry questions can be easily solved once the student has understood the basics and, therefore, allow students to gain good marks in the quantitative analysis section.
Most Recommended Books for Coordinate Geometry
While there are many books available in the market for the preparation of Coordinate Geometry for SSC, give below is a list of the most recommended books:
Previous year CGL Papers
Elements of Coordinate Geometry
Fundamentals of Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
Mathematics for Classes 9th and 10th
Why prepare Coordinate Geometry from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep is home to the best resources that SSC aspirants can find to prepare Coordinate Geometry for the exam. We provide our students with detailed and comprehensive guides on the topic that contain fundamentals of Coordinate Geometry as well as examples of the most commonly asked questions on the examination. There are also Coordinate Geometry questions and answers PDF, shortcut tricks PDF, study material PDF and Coordinate Geometry questions PDF for SSC provided at BYJU'S Exam Prep.
We also have endless useful tips, tricks, and shortcuts that help students solve complex questions using the easiest methods to attain the correct answers. We have everything that an SSC aspirant needs to prepare for the quantitative section of the examination and more.
Frequently Asked Questions about Coordinate Geometry
How many types of geometry are there?
Proving how many types of geometries there are is beyond the scope of a single question; however, mathematicians agree that 2-dimension has three different geometries: Euclidean, spherical, and hyperbolic.
How is Coordinate Geometry different from synthetic geometry?
Coordinate Geometry uses the coordinate system, while synthetic geometry, which is also known as pure geometry, uses tools and axiomatic methods to solve problems.
How many types of coordinates are there?
There are four types of coordinates:
- Cartesian coordinates (in a plane or space)
- Polar coordinates (in a plane)
- Cylindrical coordinates (in a space)
- Spherical coordinates (in a space)
What are transformations?
Transformations are equations applied to a parent function to turn it into a similar function that retains identical characteristics.
What are the subcategories of Coordinate Geometry?
There are four subcategories of Coordinate Geometry:
- Algebraic geometry
- Differential geometry
- Discrete geometry
- Computational geometry