Trick to remember Important sessions of Indian National Congress
Important Sessions of Indian National Congress
Bombay Session, 1885
W C Banerjee
The first session of INC
Allahabad Session, 1888
First English President of INC
Calcutta Session, 1896
Rahimtullah M. Sayani
National song ‘Vande Mataram’ sung for the first time
Calcutta Session, 1906
Dadabhai Naoroji coined the term Swaraj.
Surat Session, 1907
Rash Behari Ghosh
Party splits into extremists and moderates
Calcutta Session, 1911
Bishan Narayan Dar
National Anthem ‘Jana Gana Mana’ sung for the first time
Lucknow Session, 1916
Ambica Charan Mazumdar
Merger/Reunion of Congress and Lucknow pact – joint session with the Muslim league
Calcutta Session, 1917
First Woman President of the Inc
Amritsar Session, 1919
Jaliawala Bagh Massacre took place
Belgaum Session, 1924
M K Gandhi
The only session where Gandhi Ji was the President of INC
Kanpur Session, 1925
First Indian Woman President of INC
Madras Session, 1927
M A Ansari
Independence Resolution was put forward
Calcutta Session, 1928
All India Youth Congress formed
Lahore Session, 1929
The resolution for Poorna Swaraj was passed. Civil Disobedience Movement for complete independence to be launched, and 26th January was decided to be celebrated as ‘Independence Day of India.’
Karachi Session, 1931
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
Resolution on Fundamental Rights and national economic progress was passed. Gandhi-Irwin pact was endorsed, and Gandhi Ji was nominated to represent INC in the second round table conference
Lucknow Session, 1936
Put forward the idea of Socialism
Haripura Session, 1938
Subhas Chandra Bose
National Planning Committee set up under Jawahar Lal Nehru. Haripura Resolution passed, which demanded Poorna Swaraj, including the princely states as well.
Ramgarh Session, 1940
Abul Kalam Azad
He was the longest-serving President of INC during British rule.
Quit India Movement started in 1942
Meerut Session, 1946
Last session before Indian independence
Tricks To Remember Important INC Session
(1) Trick to remember all the Firsts of INC:
"Congress of 85 Bandra in Bombay invited 88 Generals All English to meet Annie of Calcutta in 1917 and Sarojini aged 25 in Kanpur"
- 85 Bandra in Bombay: the First session of INC; 1885 Bombay Session presided by W.C. Banerjee
- 88 Generals All English: First English President of INC; 1888 Allahabad Session presided by George Yule.
- Annie of Calcutta in 1917: First woman President; 1917 Calcutta Session presided by Annie Besant.
- Sarojini, aged 25 in Kanpur: First Indian woman President: 1925 Kanpur Session presided by Sarojini Naidu.
(2) Trick to remember sessions related to National Anthem and National Song:
"V-96 and J-11 in Calcutta"
- V-96: Vande Matram in 1896 Calcutta Session
- J-11: Jana Gana Mana in 1911 Culcutta Session
(3) Trick to remember sessions related to Split and Reunion:
"Ras saw Surat split in 1907 which united in Lucknow in 1917 by Mazumdar"
(4) Trick to remember important sessions of INC:
"Begum Gandhi of 24 demanded Poolside snacks with Nehru in Lahore Tonight but Patel of 31 asked for Fried Rice and New Eco Pot from Karachi, Gandhi went on Second Table."
- Begum Gandhi of 24: 1924 Belgaum session presided by Gandhi Ji
- Poolside snacks with Nehru in Lahore Tonight: 1929 Lahore Session, Nehru demanded Poorna Swaraj
- Patel of 31 asked for Fried Rice and New Eco Pot from Karachi, Gandhi went on Second Table: 1931 Karachi Session presided by Patel demanded Fundamental Rights and New Economic Policy. Gandhi Ji was elected to represent INC in second round table conference.
All The Best !!!
More from us: