In this article, we will discuss the important organizations which existed before the Indian National Congress and created the base for a centralised organisation. This article is related to Modern Indian History & will help you to score in railway & SSC Exams.
Political Associations/Organisations before the Establishment of INC
1. Landholder’s Societ (1838/Calcutta): Dwarkanath Tagore
- Dwarkanath Tagore Established the " Zamindari Association " along with Prasanna Kumar Tagore, Radhakanta Deb, Ramkamal Sen and Bhabani Charan Mitra which was later known as Landholder’s Society.
- It was the first organization of Bengal which had a distinct political objective.
2. British India Society (1839/London): William Adams
- This society was founded in England initially.
- The first executive committee consisted of 15 members out of which 11 were Indians.
- George Thompson was the president & GF Remfry and Ramgopal Ghosh were the Vice-President and Peary Chand Mitra was the Secretary of that Executive Committee.
3. Bengal British India Society (1843/Calcutta): George Thomson
4. British India Association (1851/Calcutta): Devendranath Tagore & Radhakant Deb
5. Madras Native Association (1852/Madras): Gazulu Lakshminarasu Chetty
Gazulu Lakshminarasu Chetty also founded " The Crescent", which was the 1st Indian-owned newspaper in Madras.
6. Bombay Association (1852/Bombay): Naoroji Furdoonji
7. East India Association (1866/London): Dadabhai Naoroji
8. London Indian Society (1865/London): Feroz Shah Mehta, Badruddin Tyyabji, W. C. Banerji and Manmohan Ghosh ( Under the Guidance of Dadabhai Naoroji )
9. National Indian Association: (1867/London): Mary Carpenter
10. Poona Sarvajanik Sabha (1867/Poona): G. Ranade, G.V. Joshi and Chiplankar
11. Indian Society (1872/London): Anand Mohan Bose
12. India League (1875/ Calcutta): Sisir Kumar Ghosh
- Sisir Kumar Ghosh also founded the famous " Amrit Bazaar Patrika" in 1868.
13. Indian Association (1876/Calcutta): Anand Mohan Bose and Surendra Nath Banerji
14. National Conference (1883): Anand Mohan Bose and Surendra Nath Banerji
15. Madras Mahajan Sabha (1884/Madras): Viraghavacharya, G. Subramaniya Aiyar and P. Anand Charlu Indian National Union 1884 A.O. Hume