The scientific study of the flow, distribution, and management of water on Earth, including the water cycle, water resources, and environmental watershed sustainability, is known as hydrology.
Irrigation is the Science of providing water to the lands in accordance with the requirements of the crops grown therein. Even with such a huge percentage (83% of runoff) of the utilisation of water for irrigation, we are just able to irrigate only about 40% of our gross cropped area. Additional waters are, thus, required to be developed for bringing the additional cropped area under irrigation, to increase our food and fibre production.
The techniques which are employed for the development and management of water resources become vitally important in this context and have been lucidly explained in Irrigation Engineering And Hydraulic Structures.
In order to score more in the Civil Engineering competitive exams like GATE, ESE, SSC JE, BARC, etc. here is the list of Best of Books for Hydrology and Irrigation Engineering which will help to score more.
1. Irrigation Engineering and Hydraulic Structures by Santosh Kumar Garg
- It clears all basics and has adequate numerical, both solved & unsolved.
- This book has made Irrigation and hydraulics structures more interesting because of the following reasons
1. Simple language
2. Covering lots of topics.
3. You read one topic a single time and You will remember it easily, as the way the author describes the topics in this book.
- Best of all at the end of each chapter, many questions that appeared in past competitive exams (ESE, GATE) were given which is a huge perk.
- Flipkart Review: It's an awesome book guys. Please refer to it for your career. It has all the requirements you want in regards to irrigation engineering topics. You guys can also buy the vol 1. All of its products are amazing.
2. Irrigation Water Resources and Water Power Engineering by P. N. Modi
- The book comprises chapters on methods of irrigation, water requirements of crops, hydrology, groundwater, dams, flow irrigation, irrigation channels, cross drainage works, river engineering, and water resources planning.
- In addition, the book has several illustrations and diagrams to understand the concepts better.
- This book is essential for civil engineers preparing for competitive examinations such as IES, GATE, etc.
3. Irrigation and Water Power Engineering by B.C Punmia
- Special Features: Presents neatly-drawn drawings of dams, spillways, canals and cross-drainage works, not provided with any other book.
- Explains all aspects of soil moisture, irrigation systems, tanks, dams and canal river systems, water rights and environmental aspects.
- Discusses live case studies of major dams (the Tehri Dam, the Almatti Dam) for easy understanding of some important concepts.
- Explains all topics with solved examples and neatly drawn sketches.
4. Engineering Hydrology by K Subramanya
- The concepts are clearly explained.
- Plenty of objective type questions make this book the right choice for students
- Proper explanation with diagram with the practical examples
Sahi Prep Hai to Life Set Hai !!!