What is The Energy Flow in An Ecosystem?

By BYJU'S Exam Prep

Updated on: September 13th, 2023

The flow of energy in an ecosystem becomes unidirectional in the end. According to the food chain, the energy that comes into the ecosystem once does not revert back to the source. Understand this from the example below.

Autotrophs (plants) get energy from the Sun during the photosynthesis process. Human and animals eat Plants and their parts, during this process energy get transferred to them. At last, energy is used by them to get the work done, and then the energy gets heated into the environment.

In this complete process, the energy never reverts back to its previous source. That’s why it is called Unidirectional. In short, the flow of energy is like Sun – Plants – Human/Animals- Loss in Ecosystem.

Important Law of Energy Flow: Lindeman’s Law

According to Lindeman’s law of energy, every time one trophic level transfers the organic food energy to the next level, only 10% of the energy gets transferred there. The rest of the 90% of energy either gets used in digestion or other activities. Also, some energy loses in the environment.

This is also known as Lindeman’s 10% law of Energy. It was given by Lindeman in the year 1942.


The Flow of Energy in An Eco System is Always??

Every time energy gets transferred from one organism to another one. Due to this, every time it travels they lose a big amount of energy in the ecosystem that will never be reverted back to the source. This is why energy flow in the ecosystem remains unidirectional.

☛ Related Questions:

Our Apps Playstore
SSC and Bank
Other Exams
GradeStack Learning Pvt. Ltd.Windsor IT Park, Tower - A, 2nd Floor, Sector 125, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201303
Home Practice Test Series Premium