For any bank exam, time management is a crucial strategy. Especially when it comes to IBPS PO exam since the new IBPS PO exam pattern has sectional timings for both prelims and mains. It is one of the most important bank exams and therefore the competition is tough but beatable. All you need are the right tips and tricks to crack IBPS PO. The exam is just around the corner with IBPS PO prelims in October 2018, mains in November 2018 and the Interview round in January or February 2019.
Impact of sectional time in IBPS PO Exam 2018
Sectional timing has both pros and cons. Each section is allotted 20 minutes time and unlike last year, you cannot switch into sections as per your convenience. Many of the students neglect the subject "English" and give maximum time to two subjects Quant and Reasoning. But this time, you have to give equal attention to all three subjects. Here are some of the points which will give you an idea of the effect of sectional timing.
- Sectional Timing will help you concentrate on a particular subject
- You have to give equal attention to each subject
- You have to spend extra time on your weak areas
- You cannot take complete advantage of your strength
In IBPS PO Prelims exam, there is sectional cut off along with sectional timing. Before making a time management strategy, you have to look at the cutoff. It will help you understand the good attempt or safest score.
If we look at IBPS PO Previous year cut off, last year the overall cutoff for the general category was 42.75. In the previous years, i.e, in 2016 it was 47.5 and in 2015 it was 37.25. You can see it is increasing year by year as the competition is increasing.
So you need to start preparing for IBPS PO right now. We are here to help you come up with a plan to solve different sections in a given time that will channel your preparation in the right direction and utilise the given time during the IBPS PO prelims.
Tips for Time Management for IBPS PO Exam 2018
Let us take a look at the IBPS PO exam pattern.
Name of Test
Number of Questions
Now, this is the first time, there is the sectional time limit in IBPS PO Prelims 2018. So, you should judiciously prepare for all three subjects as you will be given 20 minutes separately to attempt each section. Now, we will be discussing the tips to attempt three sections in the stipulated time.
This section consists of topics like:
1. Grammar-Based Questions:
- Error detection
- Sentence Improvement
- Phrase replacement
5- 7 questions can be asked from each topic. Devote maximum 3 - 4 minutes as they are asked just to check your grammar knowledge
2. Vocab Based Questions
- Cloze Test
Cloze Test can be of 5 or 10 questions. Fillers and Synonym/Antonym question can range from 4-5. Don't give more than 5 minutes on this topic.
3. Reading-Based questions
- Passages: These can be approached by attempting the synonyms antonyms questions first.
- Para jumbles: In the short span of time, we can always find the first sentence or few other sentences. So quickly attempt those 2-3 questions at least out of total 5.
- Sentence/Paragraph Completion
- Odd one out
These topics require reading skills. So, attempt them at last and give all of them in maximum 8-10 minutes.
If you have very good accuracy then you can clear this IBPS PO sections’ cut-off easily. But to be on a safer side and keeping in mind the accuracy issue which is always associated with English section, you should attempt at least 22 - 25 questions in total.
Attempt English Language Quizzes
This section consists of many topics like
- Number series- 3 minutes
- Simplification/Approximation - 3 minutes
- Quadratic equations - 4 minutes
- Data Interpretation - 3 minutes
- Arithmetic Questions - 5 - 6 minutes
- Quantity Based Questions -3 minutes
- Data Sufficiency - 3-4 minutes
Questions from these topics are very scoring and less time taking if the proper practice has been done prior to the IBPS PO exam. Around 15 questions from these topics can be attempted in 10 minutes. After attempting these questions, one can go with either Data Interpretation questions or miscellaneous questions first depending on the comfort zone.
- Data interpretation- These questions are calculative many times. But there will always be at least 2 questions out of 5 in each set of data interpretation which take hardly a minute. So always try to find out those in your IBPS PO exam and attempt them first. But this observation comes only after a lot of practice.
- Miscellaneous- This is a group of various topics like time & work, speed & distance, ages, ratio & proportion and a lot more like these. So attempt those questions first which are from your strong topic. After that, if time allows then increase your number of attempts to definitely secure your seat in mains.
Attempt Quantitative Aptitude Quizzes
This section consists of many topics like
- Inequality- 4 minutes
- Coding-decoding- 4 minutes
- Blood Relation, Direction, Ranking & arrangement - There can be 3-4 questions from these topics which can be attempted within 4 minutes.
- Seating arrangement & Puzzles- These questions should be attempted at the end after attempting half of the section. They require a lot of time and so try to give 7-8 minutes to this topic.
- Syllogism - If direct questions are asked, then they are not much time taking. But if the reverse syllogism is asked, then you have to check your knowledge and attempt accordingly.
- Input-Output - It can take 3-4 minutes easily if the pattern is tricky.
- Other miscellaneous topics- They can be the alphabet test, alphanumeric series, order, and ranking, etc. They are of a moderate level and not much tricky in prelims exam. Just spend 2-3 minutes on these topics.
Attempt Reasoning Ability Quizzes
So, the IBPS PO syllabus is not really vast. All you need is proper practice for upcoming days and proper time management in the IBPS PO exam. And always remember that everyone has his/her own strong/weak area. So, the last decision should always be yours how you are going to attempt the paper.
Besides time management, few other things that should be very clear in mind are:
- Don't try to attempt every question: IBPS is not going to make the merit list on the basis of your preliminary Exam, So your main focus should not be to attempt each and every question you come across during IBPS PO prelims exam. The main focus should be on clearing sectional and overall cut-off. Don't forget to look at the previous year IBPS PO cut off to know how much you need to score. Sometimes while trying to attempt every question, we miss out the easy ones.
- Don't be nervous: Many times we find ourselves in a situation where we are not able to solve the questions from our favourite/strong topic. Don't be nervous in those situations. Because nervousness leads to negative thoughts and that is not going to be
- Pick the right questions: As soon as we see any question, we know that it can be solved easily or not and this comes with practice. So in a short span of 60 minutes, it is very much essential to choose the right question and skip the consuming ones.
Attempt IBPS PO Mini Mock Test
Changing level of IBPS PO & Expected Pattern Changes in Exam 2018
How to Crack IBPS PO Exam 2018 in the Very First Attempt!
Attempt Free Mock Test for IBPS PO Exam 2018!
All the best for your exams.
Commentswrite a comment