Punjab National Bank History:
- Punjab National Bank was established on 19 May 1894, in Lahore to provide the country with an actual national bank.
- The operation of the bank started on 12 April 1895.
- There were 7 Directors on the first board of Directors, they are:
- Sardar Dayal Singh Majithia - 1st Chairman
- Lala Lalchand
- Kali Prosanna Roy
- Lala Harkishan Lal
- EC Jessawala
- Lala Prabhu Dayal
- Bakshi Jaishi Ram
- The initial authorized total capital of PNB was Rs. 2 Lakh, while the working capital was Rs. 20 thousand.
- In 1951, Bharat Bank Ltd. was merged with the PNB.
- With Effect from 1 April 2020, Oriental Bank of Commerce and United Bank of India was merged into the State-owned Punjab National Bank.
- After the merger, the combined entity became the second-largest nationalized bank of India both in terms of business and branch networks.
- The merged bank has a network of 11,000 plus branches and 13,000 plus ATMs & 12346 business correspondents along with 1,00,000+ manpower.
PNB HQ, CEO & Taglines:
|Punjab National Bank|
|MD & CEO|
Mr S.S. Mallikarjuna Rao
Before Meger -
After Merger -
PNB Subsidiaries, Associates, and Joint Ventures:
Following is the list of PNB's subsidiaries, associates, and joint ventures.
|Domestic||PNB Gilts Ltd.|
|PNB Investment Services Ltd.|
|PNB Insurance Broking Pvt. Ltd.#|
|PNB Cards and Services Limited ##|
|International||Punjab National Bank (International) Ltd., United Kingdom|
|Druk PNB Bank Ltd, Bhutan|
|Domestic||Dakshin Bihar Gramin Bank, Patna|
|Sarva Haryana Gramin Bank, Rohtak|
|Himachal Gramin Bank, Mandi|
|Punjab Gramin Bank, Kapurthala|
|Prathama UP Gramin Bank, Meerut|
|Assam Gramin Vikash Bank, Assam|
|Bangiya Gramin Vikash Bank, West Bengal|
|Tripura Gramin Bank, Agartala|
|Manipur Rural Bank, Imphal|
|PNB Housing Finance Ltd.|
|Canara HSBC OBC Life Insurance Co. Ltd.|
|India SME Asset Reconstruction Co. Ltd.|
|International||JSC Tengri Bank, Kazakhstan|
|International||Everest Bank Ltd., Nepal|
PNB Awards & Achievements:
- IBA Banking Technology Awards 2020:
- Winner – Most Innovate Project using Technology for PNBOne
- Runners Up - Best Use of Data and Analytics for Business Outcome – Large Bank Category
- BFSI Digital Innovation Awards:
- Winner - In the category of - Robotics Process Automation
Click here to see the entire list of awards & achievements of PNB.
PNB Current Interest Rates:
Savings Bank Deposits
(Interest Rate (W.E.F. 1st March 2021))
Facts about Punjab National Bank:
- PNB ONE - A unified mobile banking application that provides all banking facilities such as Accounts, Transfer of Funds, Pay Bills/Recharge, etc. at a single platform on a 24*7 basis.
- PIHU - It is a PNB Chatbot that helps customers queries on a text-based channel.
- PNB has Overseas branches in Hong Kong & Dubai.
- PNB has waived off transaction charges on IMPS, RTGS, NIFT & UPI.
- Lala Lajpat Rai was the first customer to open an account with PNB.
- PNB has served many iconic national leaders like Jawahar Lal Nehru, Gobind Ballabh Pant, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Smt. Indira Gandhi etc.
- The director of J&K Bank Rigzian Sampheal has resigned & Nilesh S Vikamsey has been reappointed by PNB Housing
So, Guys, this is all about the history, facts, and recent news about the Punjab National Bank. We have tried to cover all the static information about the bank, which is relevant to the Bank Exam. We hope that you liked the article. For more articles like this on the other Indian States, stay tuned with us.
You may also like to read the following articles:
- List of Merger of PSU Banks in India
- List of Banks in India 2021: PSU and Private Banks in India
- List of Schemes By Modi Government 2021: Launch Date, Full Form and Other Details
Most of our readers ask for PDF versions of our articles, so we have decided to provide the PDF version of most of the articles from now on.
Download the PDF version of this article.
More than 50 different types of Banking and Insurance exam notifications in a year get released. It becomes nearly impossible for you to purchase different mock tests for so many exams. We have come up with a one-stop solution for all your problems regarding attempting mock tests, i.e. BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series. Get unlimited access to 700+ mock tests. Attempt Free mock test now.
Avail the Test Series and Unlock 350+ Mock test of Banking and Insurance Exams
You wish to have unlimited access to all 20+ structured live courses and 500+ mock tests then subscribe to Online Classroom Program. This will cover all important banking and insurance exams like IBPS PO, IBPS RRB, SBI PO, RBI Grade-B etc.
Try Online Classroom Program Now and get unlimited access to all 20+ Structured Live Courses and 500+ Mock Tests
Subscribe to Online Classroom Program now and #GetSuperReady for your exam.
Click here to know the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams.
You can enroll yourself in varieties of other courses and exam preparation by subscribing our Test Series.
CLICK HERE TO GET Test Series
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
1. Avail recent trend Mock Tests which are designed by Exam Experts.
2. Detailed Question Level Solution Analysis.
3. Complete Performance Report along with Strength and Weakness Assessment.
4. Know your All India Rank.
5. Tips and tricks by experts to Crack the Exam.
Best of Luck for the examination!
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai
Commentswrite a comment