A number of students appear for the exam of UGC NET every year, some preparing with the help of coaching and others without it. In this post, we have discussed some important tips on how to prepare for UGC NET 2022 exam without coaching.
So, all the aspirants, who are planning to appear for this exam must go through the article thoroughly. It would help them understand the approach they should follow while preparing for the UGC NET exam without any coaching.
There are certain strategies and planning, that one needs to undertake if preparing for UGC NET through self-study. The first and foremost requirement for UGC NET preparation is proper guidance and planning in the right direction to clear this exam in one go.
Tips to prepare for UGC NET Exam without Coaching
The first step towards UGC NET preparation should be familiarizing yourself with complete exam details.
- University Grants Commission (UGC) National Eligibility Test (NET) is a gateway test in India to start a career as a Lecturers/Professor/Associates in varsities and other educational institutions.
- On behalf of UGC, CBSE used to conduct the NET exam till JUNE, 2018. However, the National Testing Agency (NTA) is now conducting UGC NET from December 2018.
- NET is conducted twice a year i.e. in the month of June and December.
- UGC also grants JUNIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP under the same umbrella to the NET passed out candidates.
- The NET exam is conducted to examine the knowledge of an individual for any of the distinctive positions, based on the rank one acquires at Indian Universities.
- This is the benchmark examination that will evaluate your knowledge not only in a particular subject but also in your language, writing skills, speed, and others.
See also: UGC NET Online Coaching 2022 [Join Video Course to Target UGC NET exam]
Next, understand how the exam is conducted.
- The UGC NET EXAM 2022 will be online. Primarily, one must start preparing by understanding the subject-wise topics to be covered for the examination based on the latest pattern and syllabus.
For example, if your subject is English you will have to answer two papers: PAPER 1 and PAPER 2, which are conducted combined for 3-hour duration. No break in between. Candidates are required to appear for both papers in order to be eligible for JRF and Assistant Professor or Assistant Professor only.
Let us now discuss some important tips on how one should prepare for the UGC NET exam through self-study.
UGC NET preparation tips without coaching for Paper 1
- Now that the exam is online, one must practice Paper-I tests of UGC NET regularly, in order to maintain proper speed and accuracy for the exam.
- Work upon your weak sections of Paper 1 and learn to prioritize the units based on your performance in mock tests.
- Evaluate your preparation for Paper I with the help of mock tests and sample papers.
- Frame a study plan for each day and try to execute it accordingly.
- Maintain a notebook where you keep track of your strengths and areas which need further development.
- There is no negative marking in Paper-I, thus, one must aim to attempt all 50 questions. So, study all the topics that are asked in Paper-I of UGC NET and practice an ample number of questions based on them.
- Try to devote at least 3-4 hours every day for the preparation of Paper-I. This duration will be sufficient to cover all the sub-sections of this paper and practice questions based on them.
UGC NET preparation tips without coaching for Paper 2
- PAPER II is also an MCQ based exam. This paper is based on the subject selected by the candidate while applying for UGC NET.
- The course of Paper-II usually includes the subjects of Graduation and Post-Graduation level.
- You must try to devote at least 5-6 hours to the preparation of this paper since its course is huge and it carries more weight in the final score.
- You should focus more on the core topics of your subject because once they are strengthened, understanding and attempting questions based on other chapters and topics become comparatively easy.
- Make chapter-wise notes, highlighting important points, basics or important formulas, which carry comparatively more weightage in the exam.
- One can also take help in learning the chapters with the help of different online tutorials.
- Keep track of good reference books, as suggested by exam experts, to ensure that you find all the study material in a single place rather than looking up from multiple sources.
- Revision is crucial for the preparation of Paper-II of UGC NET. Remember, you need to complete huge syllabus for Paper-II and timely revision would ensure that you retain what you study. So, take out 30-40 minutes at night or start of the day to revise what you studied during the day or on the previous day respectively.
- Keep the exams, your subject, the chapters and your notes in perspective.
- For an effective preparation of Paper-II, proper practice of Previous year papers is important. It will help you narrow down the commonly asked topics for the exam and at the same time will help you practice more.
- Solve previous 8-10 years question papers
How is Self Study different from Preparation through Coaching?
Aspirants need to understand the key difference between preparation through self-study and coaching. Coachings help students study for a dedicated time period. All the other perks, like study/ practice material and tips can be availed online. So, to overcome this, you need to ensure that you dedicate proper time to your studies and follow strict timelines while studying. Do not procrastinate.
- Dedicate some particular hours of the day for the preparation of Paper-I and Paper-II and make sure that you study thoroughly during that time.
- Revise what you study during the day and practice questions based on it.
- Set small and achievable targets. Doing this kind of work will keep you engrossed and motivated throughout your preparation.
Use some important methodology like OK-4R
- Give an Overview when you start
- Note Key ideas which you think are important
- Read the topic thoroughly
- Recall it once, twice or thrice
- Review the topic which will help you in knowing that how better have you understood.
- Rejuvenate yourself before you start a new chapter
Don’t worry too much about the end result. Focus on the journey and remember, with self-discipline, self-study is possible. So, study with proper dedication in order to clear the UGC NET exam without any coaching.
|UGC NET 2022: 3 Month Study Plan for UGC NET Exam||Read Here|
|UGC NET 2022: 4 Month Study Plan for UGC NET Exam||Read Here|
|Best Books for UGC NET||Read here|
|UGC NET Study Notes on Teaching Aptitude||Read here|
|Importance of UGC NET 2022 Exam Paper 1||Read Here|
|UGC NET Exam: Tips to Solve Time and Distance Question||Read here|
All the best for your exams,
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.