Government Schemes: Ministry of Coal
Points to remember
The objective is to alleviate one key challenge in the power sector(lack of coal linkages)
- It is a policy for auction and allotment of coal linkages
- As per the policy, it will award fuel supply agreements to coal plants already holding letters of assurance
- Coal linkages would be allocated to state-owned power distribution companies
- The power distribution company would assign linkages to state or central power generation companies via allocation, and Private units through auction.
The objective is to bring transparency in the coal allocation
- The Ministry of Coal and Coal India Limited (CIL) collectively developed the UTTAM application for all citizens and coal consumers to monitor the process of Third Party Sampling of coal across Coal India Limited (CIL) subsidiaries.
- It has an interactive map-based view to provide holistic coverage of coal quality across subsidiaries on quality parameters such as declared Gross Calorific Value (GCV), analyzed GCV, and coverage parameters such as location and quantity sampled.
It is a tool for reporting any activity taking place related to illegal coal mining like rat-hole mining, pilferage, etc.
- One can upload geo-tagged photographs of the event along with textual information directly to the system.
- The identity of the complainant can not be revealed
Coal Mine Surveillance and Management System (CMSMS)
It is a web-based GIS application through which the location of sites for unauthorized mining can be detected.
- The platform used in the system is of the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology's (MeiTY) map, which provides village level information.
Fact to remember
According to Union minister of coal, India will stop importing thermal coal from the financial year 2023-24.
More from us
Get Unlimited access to 25+ Mock Tests-Gradeup Green Card
Free Study Notes (Hindi/English)
Daily Current Affairs PDF
NCERT Books PDF (Hindi/English)
Daily, Monthly, Yearly Current Affairs Digest, Daily Editorial Analysis, Free PDF's & more, Join our Telegram Group Join Now