After having a look at the exam pattern, candidates can easily understand the HCS Syllabus. Haryana Public Service Commission releases the HCS Syllabus on its official website, hpsc.gov.in/en-us/. The syllabus includes Prelims Syllabus, Mains, and an optional subject list with the syllabus.
HCS Prelims Exam Syllabus
It consists of two papers i.e. General Studies & General Aptitude.
HCS General Studies Paper
It includes the following subjects:
- General Science.
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography.
- Indian Culture, Indian Polity, and Indian Economy.
- General Mental Ability.<li"1">Haryana–Economy, and people. Social, economic, and cultural institutions and language of Haryana.
HCS General Aptitude Paper
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, the order of magnitude, etc. – Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc. – Class X level)
HCS Mains Syllabus
The Mains Exam consists of 3 compulsory papers.
- English and English Essay
- Hindi and Hindi Essay
English and English Essay Syllabus
This section is designed to examine the applicant's knowledge of reading & comprehending the language. The topics include:
- Precis Writing
- Comprehension of given passages
- Usage and Vocabulary
- General Grammar/Composition
Hindi and Hindi Essay Syllabus
The exam will follow the Devnagri script. The topics include
- Translation of English passage into Hindi
- Letter/Precis writing
- Explanation of Hindi passage (prose and poetry) in the same language
- Composition (idioms, correction etc.)
- Essay on a specific topic. The choice of subjects will be given
HPSC General Studies Syllabus
- History of Modern India and Indian Culture
- Geography of India
- Indian Polity
- Current National issues and topics of social relevance.
- India and the World
- Indian Economy
- International Affairs and Institutions.
- Developments in the field of science and technology, communications and space.
- Statistical analysis, graphs and diagrams
HCS Optional Syllabus List
There are a total of 29 subjects.
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Commerce and Accountancy
Hindi Literature (in Devnagri Script)
Political Science and International Relations