Comparison of SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk
Now let's have a look at the detailed comparison between two of the most coveted Bank clerk jobs that are SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk before starting preparation for 2022.
1. SBI Clerk Vs IBPS Clerk- Roles and Responsibilities
The Roles and responsibilities of an SBI Clerk and an IBPS Clerk are almost similar. A Clerk is responsible for performing the following tasks in a bank -
- The main job of a clerk is to handle all the cash deposits and withdrawals. He is responsible for all the monetary transaction activities handled whether by Cash, cheque, demand draft, or any other method. A clerk also maintains daily, monthly and weekly reports of transactions as a record in the bank.
- He/she works as a Single Window Operator in a bank. It means he/she is responsible for Receipt of Cheques, Drafts, Dividend Warrants, Pay Orders Bills Etc. As an SWO, he is required to perform operations like issuing E.S.I. Stamps, recounting of Currency Notes by Cash Department Staff and some other works.
- A clerk also performs marketing operations such as marketing the schemes, loans, and other services of the Bank so as to increase the customers.
- A clerk also provides assistance in any kind of need related to bank services such as change of address, change of contact details, updating the passbook, opening accounts, and various other tasks.
2. Salary Structure & Perquisites
Salary is the major factor that every candidate keeps in mind while choosing the path of their career. As both IBPS and SBI are government bodies, the salary structure is somewhat identical in banks associated with IBPS & State Bank of India. But SBI offers four increments in salary as compared to other Public Sector Banks which makes the salary of an SBI Clerk slightly higher than an IBPS Clerk. You can check the structure of the SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk after the 11th bipartite settlement through the below table -
|Factors||SBI Clerk (INR)||IBPS Clerk (INR)|
|Dearness Allowances||51.2% of Basic Pay||51.2% of Basic Pay|
|City Compensatory Allowance||0||0|
|House Rent Allowance||800-1176||1058 – 1176|
|Transport Allowance||depends on the posting location||425|
|Salary (In Hand)||29000 - 33000 (On the basis of posting location)||27000-31000(On the basis of posting location)|
3. Comparison of SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk- Career Growth and Promotion
There are various differences between the SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk in terms of promotion and career growth. SBI Clerk has the chance to get faster promotion and more opportunities in comparison to other banks. It is considered that the promotion policy in SBI is better than any other bank and even better than RBI.
We have listed the Career growth and Promotion procedures of both the profiles in the table below -
4. Work Pressure
Although the work responsibilities of an SBI clerk and an IBPS Clerk are the same. The work pressure differs as follows-
5. SBI Clerk Vs IBPS Clerk- Selection Procedure
1. First Phase - Prelims Exam
There are 3 sections in both the Prelims exams which are Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability, and English Language. The Prelims Exam will be conducted for 100 marks for a total of 100 questions and the time duration is 60 Minutes (1 hour). This year SBI and IBPS, both have introduced a sectional time limit of 20 minutes for each of the three sections.
2. Second Phase - Main Exam
There is no difference at all in the Main Exam phase of SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk. There are 4 sections in the Main Phase of the SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk namely Reasoning Ability & Computer Aptitude, Quantitative Aptitude, English Language, and General Awareness. The time duration of both the exams SBI Clerk Main & IBPS Clerk Main is 2 hours 40 Minutes (160 Minutes).
The Maximum marks allotted and the total number of questions is also similar. The candidates need to attempt 190 questions for a total of 200 Marks in SBI Clerk Main as well as in IBPS Clerk Main exam.
3. Third Phase - Language Proficiency Test
This is the last phase of IBPS Clerk and SBI Clerk Recruitment. The language proficiency test is conducted after the result of the Main exam but before joining. In this test, a candidate's ability to read, write and speak the local language is tested. A candidate must be proficient in the local language of the state for which he/she has applied.
So this is the comparative analysis between SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk. Both profiles have their own pros and cons. It is up to the aspirant what are his/her priorities. If you have any more doubt related to this, you can share it in the comment section below.
If you are aiming to crack SBI/IBPS 2022, then join the sure-shot success Batch Online Classroom Program where you will get:
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Get better at every level of your preparation with unlimited test series, based on the latest exam pattern.
- Assess areas of weaknesses & track improvements with in-depth performance analysis
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.