POP Full Form in Computer
The POP full form in computer is Post Office Protocol. Being familiar with the POP full form and its meaning now, we will focus on its characteristics. There is another widely used protocol for retrieving emails. However, POP is well known older version protocol. The new POP version is known as POP3 and is used in place of POP nowadays. The features or characteristics of POP are:
- POP supports download functions in offline mode.
- It supports delete operation in offline mode.
- It allows access to new emails present on the client side.
- It is an open internet protocol.
- It can retrieve e-mails sent by SMTP only.
- It does not require mail gateways.
What is the Role of POP in NPS?
We know that the POP full form is Post Office Protocol. POP provides various features in the NPS (New Pension Scheme). It is widely used as a central point that provides access to information and reliability to the user. POP allows changing of the subscriber's details. It allows change in investment schemes, and more features are provided to the user for convenient and efficient functioning at the client end.
Download Formulas for GATE Computer Science Engineering - Discrete Mathematics
Why is POP Needed?
The POP full form itself suggests the need for its existence. POP was designed to provide a simple pathway for the client computers or hosts to retrieve e-mails on an SMTP server (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol). The POP protocol works on five important pieces of equipment/ tools. These five tools are as follows.
- Base Station: A single central point of reference to an access point for the distribution of the connection.
- Network Switches: Used for distribution of the flow of data.
- Client Equipment: Used by client nodes to access the base station.
- Routers: They route the data through multiple paths.
- Firewalls: They are used to provide security from external threats.
POP Full Form: Advantages
The POP (POP Full Form: Post Office Protocol) protocol has its latest version in the market, named as POP3 protocol, which is widely used and supported by most clients over the internet. Following are the advantages of using the POP protocol.
- It is simple to configure and use.
- All the retrieved content gets automatically stored in the disc drive of the client.
- There is no limitation on the file size, depending on the hosts' disc size.
Download Formulas for GATE Computer Science Engineering - Algorithms
POP Full Form: Disadvantages
To retrieve an e-mail from the mailbox, we have another protocol available called IMAP4 (Internet Message Access Protocol). Today IMAP4 is widely used over POP protocol. The disadvantages of the POP (POP full form: Post Office Protocol) are given below.
- It occupies more storage space as all the data is stored on the disc drive.
- It is more prone to virus attacks as data is directly stored on the disc drive.
- E-mails might get corrupted.
- Exporting a local mail file to another physical host or machine is not convenient.
Commentswrite a comment