Important Idioms and Phrases with Letter 'B'
1. Back Seat Drivers
- Meaning - People who criticize from the sidelines, much like someone giving unwanted advice from the backseat of a vehicle to the driver; any person who gives unwanted advice instead of helping or understanding
- Meaning (Hindi) - कोई भी व्यक्ति जो मदद या समझने के बजाय अवांछित सलाह देता है
- Example - Nobody likes a backseat driver constantly nagging them when they want to work peacefully.
2. Back to Square one
- Meaning - Having to start all over again; start working on a plan from the beginning because your previous attempt failed completely
- Meaning (Hindi) - जहाँ के तहाँ
- Example - We'll have to go back to square one if the government pulls our funding on this project.
3. Bring home the bacon
- Meaning - To earn money, particularly for one's family; to be successful, especially financially successful.
- Meaning (Hindi) - सफलता हासिल करन ा, कमाना
- Example - Women nowadays not only take care of the household but also bring home bacon.
4. Back Room Boys
- Meaning - People who do important work but have no contact with the public/Someone who advises a public figure or maintains a professional role that does not garner public attention.
- Meaning (Hindi) - अप्रसिद्ध महत्वपूर्ण व्यक्ति
- Example - Backroom boys don't always receive the credit they deserve.
5. Bad Blood
- Meaning - feelings of hate between people because of arguments in the past
- Meaning (Hindi) - आपसी दुश्मनी
- Example - There has been bad blood between the two families for years.
6. Badger someone into doing something
- Meaning - to put pressure on somebody by repeatedly asking them questions or asking them to do something/to persistently nag or pester someone until you obtain what you want
- Meaning (Hindi) - दबाव डालना
- Example - Children keep badgering me to take them to the magic show.
7. Bait and Switch
- Meaning - a deceptive commercial practice of advertising a low-priced item to attract customers, then telling them that the product is out of stock and persuading them to buy a more expensive article.
- Meaning (Hindi)- ग्राहकों को आकर्षित करने के लिए एक कम कीमत वाला आइटम विज्ञापित करने का एक भ्रामक व्यावसायिक अभ्यास, फिर उन्हें यह बताते हुए कि उत्पाद स्टॉक से बाहर है और उन्हें अधिक महंगा उत्पाद खरीदने के लिए राजी करना
- Example - This store is famous for its bait and switch tactics.
8. Bang for the buck
- Meaning - Value for the money spent
- Meaning (Hindi) - लगाये गये धन की पूरी कीमत वसूलना
- Example - We were able to get a big bang for our buck when we advertised on the Internet.
9. Banker's hours
- Meaning - Short work hours/a workday that is shorter than that of most businesses, typically between 10 am and 3 pm on Monday through Friday, the hours when banks used to be open
- Meaning (Hindi) - कम कार्य के घंटे
- Example - My sister's husband owns his own company and can work banker's hours with his large staff.
10. Bark up the wrong tree
- Meaning - To attempt or pursue a futile course of action, often by making some kind of suggestion or request/to make the wrong choice; to ask the wrong person; to follow the wrong course
- Meaning (Hindi) - गलतफ़हमी में होना
- Example - If you think you will solve the problem by following those steps, you are barking up the wrong tree.
11. Be all ears
- Meaning - To be ready and eager to hear what one has to say.
- Meaning (Hindi) - ध्यान लगाकर सुनना
- Example - She had expected him to be all ears when she told him about her wedding plans.
12. Brush something/someone Aside
- Meaning - dismiss someone or something curtly and confidently
- Meaning (Hindi) - उपेक्षा करना
- Example - I am so down with math, it's my favorite subject in school.
13. Be off one's head
- Meaning - To be mad
- Meaning (Hindi) - पागल होना
- Example - He must be off his head to think that he will win the elections.
14. Be on to someone/something
- Meaning - To know, be suspicious, or be aware of someone's actions, behavior, or intention.
- Meaning (Hindi) - अवगत रहना
- Example - My supervisor in onto the new saleswoman who is taking money from her sales register.
15. Bear down on someone/something
- Meaning - To put forth one's maximum effort toward something
- Meaning (Hindi) - अधिकतम प्रयास करना
- Example - If you want to get a passing grade this semester, you'll need to bear down on your studies.
16. Bear the brunt (of something)
- Meaning - To suffer the worst part of an unpleasant or problematic situation.
- Meaning (Hindi) - एक अप्रिय या समस्याग्रस्त स्थिति के सबसे बुरे हिस्से से पीड़ित होना
- Example- When our system crashed, the call center employees bore the brunt of our customers' anger.
17. Bear the palm
- Meaning - To win. Palm leaves were formerly used as symbols of victory.
- Meaning (Hindi) - जीतना
- Example - I heard that you might bear the palm at the science fair! Congratulations—it would be a well-deserved victory.
18. Beat about the bush
- Meaning - Irrelevant talking
- Meaning (Hindi) - इधर उधर की बातें करना
- Example - Stop beating about the bush and tell us only the truth.
19. Before Long
- Meaning - soon
- Meaning (Hindi) - जल्द ही
- Example - If we keep spending so much, before long we'll be without any money.
20. Beyond the shadow of a doubt
- Meaning - If you know or believe something beyond a shadow of a doubt, you are certain that it is true
- Meaning (Hindi) - संदेह से परे
- Example - He is a responsible person beyond a shadow of a doubt.
21. Bids fair
- Meaning - To appear likely.
- Meaning (Hindi) - संभावना दिखाई देना
- Example - Being so interested in medicine, this girl bids fair to be a doctor one day.
22. Black and Blue
- Meaning - Bruised, either physically or emotionally/To beat mercilessly
- Meaning (Hindi) - चमड़ी उधेड़ना, शारीरिक रूप से या भावनात्मक रूप से गहरी चोट पहुचाना
- Example - The father beat him black and blue for his coming late home.
23. Blood is thicker than water
- Meaning - The family bond is closer than anything else
- Meaning (Hindi) - पराया पराया होता है, अपना अपना होता है
- Example - Some people in this world do great deeds for someone they barely know and prove this saying wrong that 'Blood Is Thicker Than Water '
24. Blow up
- Meaning - Suddenly became angry
- Meaning (Hindi) - अचानक क्रोधित हो जाना
- Example - The passenger who was waiting in the line blew up at the ticket agent.
25. Blue in the face
- Meaning - extremely angry, frustrated, annoyed, embarrassed, or upset
- Meaning (Hindi) - बेहद क्रोधित
- Example - I was blue in the face after accidentally seeing the boys harassing a new student.
26. Bought the farm
- Meaning - To die, particularly in an accident or military action.
- Meaning (Hindi) - अंत हो जाना
- Example - He bought the farm on that last patrol with the terrorist.
27. Boil down to something
- Meaning - Be summarized
- Meaning (Hindi) - संक्षेप में
- Example - The reason that we could not go on a holiday boiled down to the fact that we did not have enough money.
28. Bury the hatchet
- Meaning - Cease fighting, make peace
- Meaning (Hindi) -झगड़ा ख़त्म करना
- Example - Let us now bury the hatchet, and work for the advancement of the country.
29. By long odds
- Meaning - Most decidedly
- Meaning (Hindi) - निःसन्देह
- Example - She is by long odds the greatest of living mathematicians.
30. By fair or foul means/By fits and starts/By hook and by crook
- Meaning - By all means/In any way
- Meaning (Hindi) - किसी भी विधि से, चाहे गलत या सही
- Example - The minister wants to win the seat by fair or foul means.
Word of the day: Break
1. Break a leg
- Meaning - A superstitious way to say 'good luck' without saying 'good luck, but rather the opposite
- Meaning (Hindi) - भाग्य तुम्हारे साथ हो
- Example - While going out on a tour, Sam said to his friend 'Break A Leg' and little did he think that it would turn out to be true when his friend tripped and broke his leg.
2. Break Even
- Meaning - Of a financial enterprise, to neither gain profit nor incur debt; to earn and spend money in equal amounts.
- Meaning (Hindi) - हानिरहित व्यापार करना
- Example - Our company was able to break even after only six months of operation.
- Meaning - To force entry into something, often a building/To interrupt someone or something/Interrupt to speak
- Meaning (Hindi) - घुस पड़ना
- Example - Reporters break in quite frequently during PM's press conference on educational reforms.
4. Break off/Break something up
- Meaning - Stop speaking/to stop or end suddenly or cause (something)
- Meaning (Hindi) - बातचीत बंद कर देना,अचानक रोक देना
- Example - India resumed talks with Pakistan after a long break-off.
5. Break out
- Meaning - Escape
- Meaning (Hindi) - भाग निकलना
- Example - The convicts plotted to break out of prison.
6. Break someone in
- Meaning - Help to adjust to a new situation/familiarize someone with a new job or situation.
- Meaning (Hindi) - एक नई स्थिति या एक नई नौकरी के साथ किसी को परिचित कराना
- Example - I have to break in a new receptionist.
7. Break something down
- Meaning - Divide/separate something into several parts
- Meaning (Hindi) - विभाजन
- Example - My teacher broke down the scientific theory so that the class could understand it easily.
8. Break the ice
- Meaning - do or say something to relieve tension or get the conversation going in a strained situation or when strangers meet.
- Meaning (Hindi) - चुप्पी तोड़ना, विवाद हल करना
- Example - It was a common friend who broke the ice between the two friends by starting the dialogue between them.
Also, check -
If you are aiming to crack SBI PO/IBPS PO 2022, then join the sure-shot Success Batch(Hindi) Online Classroom Program where you will get:
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Get better at every level of your preparation with unlimited test series, based on the latest exam pattern.
- Assess areas of weaknesses & track improvements with in-depth performance analysis
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.