Distribution of Land
The distribution of land among the villagers in the village of Palampur is unequal.
- 150 out of the 450 families in the village of Palampur lack access to land. Out of the remaining families who own property, 240 cultivate on plots of less than 2 hectares in size.
- The families of the farmers who cultivate these small plots of land do not receive enough money or income.
- The surviving large or middle-sized farming families tend to cultivate lands larger than 2 hectares.
- Some farmers possess ten hectares or more or more of land.
- More than half of the village is made up of unusually large pieces of land.
How is land distributed between the farmers of Palampur?
In Palampur, about one-third of the 450 families lack access to land. Dalits lack agricultural land. Smaller than 2-hectare pieces of land are expanded by 240 families. Over 2 hectares of land are farmed by 60 medium-sized and large farming families in Palampur.