How are oxygen and carbon dioxide transported in human beings?

By BYJU'S Exam Prep

Updated on: September 25th, 2023

Oxygen is transported through red blood cells and carbon dioxide is transported in dissolved form as hemoglobin contains less affinity towards carbon dioxide. It is the procedure by which the body releases energy by ingesting oxygen and expelling carbon dioxide.

Transportation of oxygen

  • 97% of the oxygen in our body is carried by red blood cells, while the remaining 3% is carried by being dissolved in plasma.
  • The body’s cells receive oxygen once hemoglobin binds with it and carries it to them.
  • Oxyhemoglobin is a substance that the hemoglobin creates after joining with oxygen.
  • All of the body’s cells are then supplied with this oxygen-rich blood.
  • The blood takes the carbon dioxide from the cells after it has given all of the available oxygen to the tissues and returns it to the heart.

Transportation of Carbon Dioxide

  • Due to hemoglobin’s low affinity for carbon dioxide, carbon dioxide is largely carried in the dissolved form.
  • The lungs’ alveoli receive carbon dioxide in the dissolved form, and they also receive oxygen.
  • Carbamino-hemoglobin, which makes up 20–25% of hemoglobin, carries carbon dioxide.
  • 70% of the carbon dioxide is moved through plasma as bicarbonate ions, and the remaining 7% is carried as dissolved carbon dioxide.
  • Due to their partial pressures, carbon dioxide and oxygen bind to hemoglobin.
  • The formation of carbamino-hemoglobin results from high tissue pCO2 levels, whereas the formation of oxyhemoglobin results from high alveolar pO2 levels.


How are oxygen and carbon dioxide transported in human beings?

Red blood cells carry oxygen, while carbon dioxide is carried in dissolved form because hemoglobin has a lower affinity for carbon dioxide. Respiration is a process where energy is released by the body to ingest oxygen and expel carbon dioxide.

Our Apps Playstore
SSC and Bank
Other Exams
GradeStack Learning Pvt. Ltd.Windsor IT Park, Tower - A, 2nd Floor, Sector 125, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201303
Home Practice Test Series Premium