GATE Syllabus For Aerospace Engineering 2024

By BYJU'S Exam Prep

Updated on: October 17th, 2023

The organizing institute for GATE 2024 will release the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 on its official website. Aerospace Engineering is an important field of Engineering related to the development of Aircraft and Spacecraft. Candidates should acquaint themselves with the GATE Aerospace syllabus to understand the topics that must be covered for the exam. Candidates are advised to arrange their preparation in a planned approach if they have a good idea of the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024.

According to the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024, 85% of the questions in the exam are based on the Aerospace Engineering syllabus and Engineering Mathematics, while the remaining 15% are asked from the General Aptitude segment. According to GATE organizers, 90% of the syllabus would be basic aeronautical themes, while the remaining 10% would be specific topics from the area. Let us check the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 in detail.

Check GATE Syllabus PDF for All Branches

GATE Syllabus For Aerospace Engineering 2024

The GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 is the collection of topics necessary for the upcoming GATE exam. There are six sections other than the General Aptitude section for the GATE 2024 exam. The GATE Aerospace syllabus is divided into six sections which are as follows:

The detailed section-wise GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 is given below.

Section 1: Engineering Mathematics

This is one of the common subjects in most Engineering disciplines in GATE. This section of the GATE Aerospace syllabus 2024 will carry 13 marks in the exam. The topics in the Engineering Mathematics section are discussed below, along with the special topics.

  • Linear Algebra: Vector algebra, Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, the rank of a matrix, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors.
  • Calculus: Functions of a single variable, limits, continuity, and differentiability, mean value theorem, chain rule, partial derivatives, maxima and minima, gradient, divergence, and curl, directional derivatives; Integration, Line, surface, and volume integrals; Theorems of Stokes, Gauss, and Green.
  • Differential Equations: First-order linear and nonlinear differential equations, higher-order linear ODEs with constant coefficients, Partial differential equations, and separation of variables methods.
  • Special Topics: Fourier Series, Laplace Transforms, Complex analysis, Probability and Statistics, Numerical integration and differentiation, and Numerical methods for linear and nonlinear algebraic equations

Section 2: Flight Mechanics

The flight mechanics section of the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 is considered very important from the exam perspective. The detailed GATE Aerospace syllabus for the Flight Mechanics section, along with the special topics, is discussed below.

Topics Sub-Topics

Properties, standard atmosphere

Classification of aircraft

Airplane (fixed-wing aircraft) configuration and various parts

Pressure altitude; equivalent, calibrated, indicated air speeds

Primary flight instruments: Altimeter, ASI, VSI, Turn-bank Indicator

The angle of attack, sideslip, Roll, pitch yaw controls

Aerodynamic forces and moments.

Airplane Performance

Drag polar

Takeoff and landing

Steady climb descent

Absolute and service ceiling

Range and endurance, load factor, turning flight, V-n Diagram

Winds: head, tail crosswinds.

Static Stability

Stability control derivatives

Longitudinal stick fixed free stability

Horizontal tail position and size

Directional stability, vertical tail position, and size

Lateral stability

Wing dihedral, sweep position

Hinge moments and stick forces

Special Topics: Dynamic stability, Euler angles, Equations of motion, Longitudinal modes, Lateral-directional modes, and Decoupling of longitudinal lateral-directional dynamics.

Section 3: Space Dynamics

The GATE Aerospace syllabus for the Space Dynamics section comprises Central force motion, trajectory determination, the orbital period in simple cases, Kepler’s laws, and escape velocity.

Section 4: Aerodynamics

The topics in the Aerodynamics section of the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 are discussed below, along with the special topics.

  • Basic Fluid Mechanics: Conservation laws: Mass, momentum, and energy (Integral and differential form); Dimensional analysis and dynamic similarity.
  • Potential flow theory: Sources, sinks, doublets, line vortex, and their superposition; Elementary ideas of viscous flows, including boundary layers.
  • Airfoils and wings: Airfoil nomenclature; Aerodynamic coefficients: lift, drag, and moment; Kutta- Joukoswki theorem; Thin airfoil theory, Kutta condition, starting vortex; Finite wing theory: Induced drag, Prandtl lifting line theory; Critical and drag divergence Mach number.
  • Compressible Flow: Basic concepts of compressibility, One-dimensional compressible flows, Isentropic flows, Fanno flow, Rayleigh flow, Normal and oblique shocks, Prandtl-Meyer flow, Flow through nozzles and diffusers.
  • Special Topics: Shock-boundary layer interaction, wind tunnel testing, and measurement visualization techniques.

Section 5: Structures

In this section of the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024, various topics are important for the exam perspective, such as SOM, Failure theories, Structural Dynamics, and a lot more. The detailed GATE Aerospace syllabus for the Structures section is discussed below, along with the special topics.

Topics Sub-Topics

Strength of Materials

Stress and strain: Three-dimensional transformations, Mohr’s circle, principal stresses, Three-dimensional Hooke’s law, Plane stress, and strain.

Failure theories

Maximum stress, Tresca von Mises

Strain energy

Castigliano’s principles

Statically determinate and indeterminate trusses and beams

Elastic flexural buckling of columns

Flight vehicle structures

Characteristics of aircraft structures and materials

Torsion, bending, and shear of thin-walled sections

Loads on aircraft

Structural Dynamics

Free and forced vibrations of undamped and damped SDOF systems

Free vibrations of undamped 2-DOF systems

Special Topics: Vibration of beams, theory of elasticity, equilibrium & compatibility equations, and Airy’s stress function.

Section 6: Propulsions

The topics included in the Propulsions section of the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 are discussed below in detail, along with the special topics.

  • Basics: Thermodynamics, boundary layers, heat transfer, combustion, and thermochemistry.
  • Aerothermodynamics of aircraft engines: Thrust, efficiency, range; Brayton cycle.
  • Engine performance: Ramjet, turbojet, turbofan, turboprop, and turboshaft engines; Afterburners.
  • Turbomachinery: Axial compressors: Angular momentum, work, and compression, the characteristic performance of a single axial compressor stage, the efficiency of the compressor and degree of reaction, multi-staging.
  • Centrifugal compressor: Stage dynamics, inducer, impeller, and diffuser.
  • Axial turbines: Stage performance.
  • Rockets: Thrust equation and specific impulse, rocket performance; Multi-staging; Chemical rockets; Performance of solid and liquid propellant rockets.
  • Special Topics: Aerothermodynamics of non-rotating propulsion components such as intakes, combustor, and nozzle, compressor-turbine matching, turbine blade cooling, surge, and stall.

GATE Aerospace Engineering Syllabus PDF

Candidates can download the GATE Aerospace Engineering syllabus 2024 PDF and save it for effective preparation. It is advised to keep the hard copy of the same for the preparation. Candidates can download the GATE Aerospace syllabus PDF from the link provided below

GATE Aerospace Engineering Syllabus 2024 PDF

Preparation Tips For GATE Aerospace Syllabus

Candidates who want to cover the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 are advised to follow the given preparation tips to cover the syllabus effectively and achieve a good score in the exam. The essential preparation tips for the GATE Aerospace syllabus are given below.

  • Sort out the topics of the syllabus according to the weightage.
  • Select the appropriate books and trusted resources to prepare.
  • Allot 3-4 hours each day for numerical practices.
  • Allot specific time for preparing General Aptitude and Engineering Mathematics as they are relatively easy and high-scoring subjects.
  • Solve the previous year’s GATE Question paper to improve preparation.

Important Topics in GATE Syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024

Here is the list of some important topics in the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering syllabus for the upcoming GATE exam. Candidates are advised not to miss these topics while preparing and practicing numerical problems from these topics. The essential topics in the GATE Aerospace syllabus are given below.

  • Engineering Mathematics
  • Basic Fluid Mechanics
  • Airplane performance
  • Orbit transfer, in-plane, and out-of-plane
  • Potential flow theory
  • Shock-boundary layer interaction
  • Strength of Materials
  • The vibration of beams
  • Theory of elasticity
  • Equilibrium compatibility equations
  • Aerothermodynamics of aircraft engines
Other Related Articles
GATE Mechanical Question Papers
GATE Exam Pattern
GATE Syllabus
GATE Scorecard
IES Exam Syllabus
GATE General Aptitude syllabus
Our Apps Playstore
SSC and Bank
Other Exams
GradeStack Learning Pvt. Ltd.Windsor IT Park, Tower - A, 2nd Floor, Sector 125, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201303
Home Practice Test Series Premium