GATE Syllabus For Aerospace Engineering 2024
The GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 is the collection of topics necessary for the upcoming GATE exam. There are six sections other than the General Aptitude section for the GATE 2024 exam. The GATE Aerospace syllabus is divided into six sections which are as follows:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Flight Mechanics
- Space Dynamics
The detailed section-wise GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 is given below.
Section 1: Engineering Mathematics
This is one of the common subjects in most Engineering disciplines in GATE. This section of the GATE Aerospace syllabus 2024 will carry 13 marks in the exam. The topics in the Engineering Mathematics section are discussed below, along with the special topics.
- Linear Algebra: Vector algebra, Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, the rank of a matrix, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Functions of a single variable, limits, continuity, and differentiability, mean value theorem, chain rule, partial derivatives, maxima and minima, gradient, divergence, and curl, directional derivatives; Integration, Line, surface, and volume integrals; Theorems of Stokes, Gauss, and Green.
- Differential Equations: First-order linear and nonlinear differential equations, higher-order linear ODEs with constant coefficients, Partial differential equations, and separation of variables methods.
- Special Topics: Fourier Series, Laplace Transforms, Complex analysis, Probability and Statistics, Numerical integration and differentiation, and Numerical methods for linear and nonlinear algebraic equations
Section 2: Flight Mechanics
The flight mechanics section of the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 is considered very important from the exam perspective. The detailed GATE Aerospace syllabus for the Flight Mechanics section, along with the special topics, is discussed below.
Properties, standard atmosphere
Classification of aircraft
Airplane (fixed-wing aircraft) configuration and various parts
Pressure altitude; equivalent, calibrated, indicated air speeds
Primary flight instruments: Altimeter, ASI, VSI, Turn-bank Indicator
The angle of attack, sideslip, Roll, pitch yaw controls
Aerodynamic forces and moments.
Takeoff and landing
Steady climb descent
Absolute and service ceiling
Range and endurance, load factor, turning flight, V-n Diagram
Winds: head, tail crosswinds.
Stability control derivatives
Longitudinal stick fixed free stability
Horizontal tail position and size
Directional stability, vertical tail position, and size
Wing dihedral, sweep position
Hinge moments and stick forces
Special Topics: Dynamic stability, Euler angles, Equations of motion, Longitudinal modes, Lateral-directional modes, and Decoupling of longitudinal lateral-directional dynamics.
Section 3: Space Dynamics
The GATE Aerospace syllabus for the Space Dynamics section comprises Central force motion, trajectory determination, the orbital period in simple cases, Kepler’s laws, and escape velocity.
Section 4: Aerodynamics
The topics in the Aerodynamics section of the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 are discussed below, along with the special topics.
- Basic Fluid Mechanics: Conservation laws: Mass, momentum, and energy (Integral and differential form); Dimensional analysis and dynamic similarity.
- Potential flow theory: Sources, sinks, doublets, line vortex, and their superposition; Elementary ideas of viscous flows, including boundary layers.
- Airfoils and wings: Airfoil nomenclature; Aerodynamic coefficients: lift, drag, and moment; Kutta- Joukoswki theorem; Thin airfoil theory, Kutta condition, starting vortex; Finite wing theory: Induced drag, Prandtl lifting line theory; Critical and drag divergence Mach number.
- Compressible Flow: Basic concepts of compressibility, One-dimensional compressible flows, Isentropic flows, Fanno flow, Rayleigh flow, Normal and oblique shocks, Prandtl-Meyer flow, Flow through nozzles and diffusers.
- Special Topics: Shock-boundary layer interaction, wind tunnel testing, and measurement visualization techniques.
Section 5: Structures
In this section of the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024, various topics are important for the exam perspective, such as SOM, Failure theories, Structural Dynamics, and a lot more. The detailed GATE Aerospace syllabus for the Structures section is discussed below, along with the special topics.
Strength of Materials
|Stress and strain: Three-dimensional transformations, Mohr’s circle, principal stresses, Three-dimensional Hooke’s law, Plane stress, and strain.|
Maximum stress, Tresca von Mises
Statically determinate and indeterminate trusses and beams
Elastic flexural buckling of columns
Flight vehicle structures
Characteristics of aircraft structures and materials
Torsion, bending, and shear of thin-walled sections
Loads on aircraft
Free and forced vibrations of undamped and damped SDOF systems
Free vibrations of undamped 2-DOF systems
Special Topics: Vibration of beams, theory of elasticity, equilibrium & compatibility equations, and Airy’s stress function.
Section 6: Propulsions
The topics included in the Propulsions section of the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 are discussed below in detail, along with the special topics.
- Basics: Thermodynamics, boundary layers, heat transfer, combustion, and thermochemistry.
- Aerothermodynamics of aircraft engines: Thrust, efficiency, range; Brayton cycle.
- Engine performance: Ramjet, turbojet, turbofan, turboprop, and turboshaft engines; Afterburners.
- Turbomachinery: Axial compressors: Angular momentum, work, and compression, the characteristic performance of a single axial compressor stage, the efficiency of the compressor and degree of reaction, multi-staging.
- Centrifugal compressor: Stage dynamics, inducer, impeller, and diffuser.
- Axial turbines: Stage performance.
- Rockets: Thrust equation and specific impulse, rocket performance; Multi-staging; Chemical rockets; Performance of solid and liquid propellant rockets.
- Special Topics: Aerothermodynamics of non-rotating propulsion components such as intakes, combustor, and nozzle, compressor-turbine matching, turbine blade cooling, surge, and stall.
GATE Aerospace Engineering Syllabus PDF
Candidates can download the GATE Aerospace Engineering syllabus 2024 PDF and save it for effective preparation. It is advised to keep the hard copy of the same for the preparation. Candidates can download the GATE Aerospace syllabus PDF from the link provided below
GATE Aerospace Engineering Syllabus 2024 PDF
Preparation Tips For GATE Aerospace Syllabus
Candidates who want to cover the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024 are advised to follow the given preparation tips to cover the syllabus effectively and achieve a good score in the exam. The essential preparation tips for the GATE Aerospace syllabus are given below.
- Sort out the topics of the syllabus according to the weightage.
- Select the appropriate books and trusted resources to prepare.
- Allot 3-4 hours each day for numerical practices.
- Allot specific time for preparing General Aptitude and Engineering Mathematics as they are relatively easy and high-scoring subjects.
- Solve the previous year's GATE Question paper to improve preparation.
Important Topics in GATE Syllabus for Aerospace Engineering 2024
Here is the list of some important topics in the GATE syllabus for Aerospace Engineering syllabus for the upcoming GATE exam. Candidates are advised not to miss these topics while preparing and practicing numerical problems from these topics. The essential topics in the GATE Aerospace syllabus are given below.
- Engineering Mathematics
- Basic Fluid Mechanics
- Airplane performance
- Orbit transfer, in-plane, and out-of-plane
- Potential flow theory
- Shock-boundary layer interaction
- Strength of Materials
- The vibration of beams
- Theory of elasticity
- Equilibrium compatibility equations
- Aerothermodynamics of aircraft engines
|Other Related Articles|
|GATE Mechanical Question Papers|
|GATE Exam Pattern|
|IES Exam Syllabus|
|GATE General Aptitude syllabus|
Commentswrite a comment