Modern History Questions in UPSC Mains [2013 - 2021]
The Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains ranges from Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present significant events, personalities, and issues, and The Freedom Struggle; its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country. If one looks closely at the GS 1 Syllabus for UPSC Mains, one can easily demarcate the relevant topics that are asked mostly every year.
Below we have compiled Modern History Questions in UPSC Mains from 2013 to 2021. The 2020 UPSC Mains GS I Paper asked the least number of Modern History questions. No questions from Modern History and post-independence were asked.
Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains 2021
- Trace the rise and growth of socio-religious reform movements with special reference to Young Bengal and Brahmo Samaj.
- Assess the main administrative issues and socio-cultural problems in the integration process of Indian Princely States.
Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains 2020
- Evaluate the policies of Lord Curzon and their long-term implications on a national movement.
- Since the 1920s, the national movement acquired various ideological strands and expanded its social base. Discuss
Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains 2019
- The Revolt of 1857 was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that had occurred in the preceding hundred years of British rule. Discuss
- Many voices had strengthened and enriched the nationalist movement during the Gandhian phase. Elaborate.
- Examine the linkages between the nineteenth century's “Indian Renaissance” and the emergence of national identity.
Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains 2018
- Why did the British take indentured labour from India to other colonies? Have they been able to preserve their cultural identity over there?
- Throw light on the significance of the thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi in the present times.
Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains 2017
- Clarify how mid-eighteenth-century India was beset with the spectre of a fragmented polity.
- Why did the Moderates fail to carry conviction with the nation about their proclaimed ideology and political goals by the end of the nineteenth century?
- The women's questions arose in modern India as a part of the 19th-century social reform movement. What are the major issues and debates concerning women in that period?
- Highlight the importance of the new objectives added to the vision of Indian Independence in the twenties of the last century.
- Distinguish between religiousness/religiosity and communalism in post-independent India, giving one example of how the former has transformed into the latter in independent India.
Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains 2016
- Explain how the Uprising of 1857 constitutes an important watershed in the evolution of British policies towards colonial India.
- Discuss the role of women in the freedom struggle, especially during the Gandhian phase.
- Highlight the differences in the approach of Subhash Chandra Bose and Mahatma Gandhi in the struggle for freedom.
Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains 2015
- How different would have been the achievement of Indian independence without Mahatma Gandhi? Discuss.
- It would have been difficult for the Constituent Assembly to complete its historic task of drafting the Constitution for Independent India in just three years but for the experience gained with the Government of India Act, 1935. Discuss.
Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains 2014
- The third battle of Panipat was fought in 1761. Why were so many empire-shaking battles fought at Panipat?
- Examine the various facets of British economic policies in India from the mid-eighteenth century to independence.
- In what ways did the naval mutiny prove to be the last nail in the coffin of British colonial aspirations in India?
Modern History Previous Year Questions UPSC Mains 2013
- Defying the barriers of age, gender, and religion, the Indian women became the torch bearer during the struggle for freedom in India. Discuss.
- Several foreigners made India their homeland and participated in various movements. Analyze their role in the Indian struggle for freedom.
- In many ways, Lord Dalhousie was the founder of modern India. Elaborate.
- Critically discuss the objectives of the Bhoodan and Gramdan movements initiated by Acharya Vinoba Bhave and their success.
- Write a critical note on the evolution and significance of the slogan “Jai Jawana Jai Kisan.”
- Discuss the contribution of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad to pre-and post-independent India.
Previous Year Modern History Questions UPSC Mains PDF
One should practice UPSC Previous Year Questions for Modern History Questions to develop a good Answer Writing Practice for UPSC. Practising the Modern History Previous Year Questions proves helpful during the UPSC Exam.
Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims Exam [2013 - 2022]
The UPSC Prelims paper covers all three Ancient, Medieval, and Modern History apart from other subjects. Considerable questions are asked every year from the Modern History section.
Check out the last 10 years of Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims:
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2022
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2021
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2020
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2019
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2018
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2017
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2016
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2015
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2014
- Modern History Questions in UPSC Prelims 2013