Detailed GATE Production and Industrial Engineering Syllabus 2023
The GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus is divided into three sections. Engineering Mathematics, General Aptitude, and the core Product Engineering based topics. The GATE PI syllabus core Subjects constitute 72% of the total weightage.
The GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus 2023 is provided here, the subject constitutes seven main sections. These sections are as follows:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Manufacturing Processes I
- Manufacturing Processes II
- General Engineering
- Quality and Reliability
- Industrial Engineering
- Operations Research and Operations Management
All these sections of the GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus 2023 are discussed below in detail.
GATE PI Syllabus Engineering Mathematics
The Engineering Mathematics section of the GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus 2023 includes topics such as Matrix algebra, vector identities, Laplace transforms etc. Further, let us discuss the important topics in the Engineering Mathematics section in detail.
Matrix algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors.
Functions of a single variable, Limit, continuity and differentiability, Mean value theorems, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Partial derivatives, Total derivative, Maxima and minima, Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Vector identities, Directional derivatives; Line, Surface and Volume integrals; Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
First-order equations (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, Laplace transforms.
Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem, Taylor series.
Probability and Statistics
Definitions of probability and sampling theorems, Conditional probability, Mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Linear regression, Random variables, Poisson, normal, binomial and exponential distributions.
Numerical solutions of linear and nonlinear algebraic equations, Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rules, Single and multi-step methods for differential equations.
GATE PI Syllabus Manufacturing Processes I
The Manufacturing Processes I section of the GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus 2023 includes topics such as Shell mould casting, stretch forming, fusion welding etc. Further, let us discuss the important topics of the Manufacturing Processes I section in detail.
- Casting: Types of casting processes and applications; Sand casting: patterns – types, materials and allowances; moulds and cores–materials, making, and testing; design of gating system and riser; casting techniques of cast iron, steels, and non-ferrous metals and alloys; analysis of solidification and microstructure development; Other casting techniques: Pressure die casting, Centrifugal casting, Investment casting, Shell mould casting; Casting defects and their inspection by non-destructive testing.
- Metal Forming: Stress-strain relations in elastic and plastic deformation; von Mises and Tresca yield criteria, Concept of flow stress; Hot, warm and cold working; Bulk-forming processes – forging, rolling, extrusion and wire drawing; Sheet metal working processes – blanking, punching, bending, stretch forming, spinning and deep drawing; Ideal work and slab analysis; Defects in metalworking and their causes.
- Joining of Materials: Classification of joining processes; Principles of fusion welding processes using different heat sources (flame, arc, resistance, laser, electron beam), Heat transfer and associated losses; Arc welding processes – SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, plasma arc, submerged arc welding processes; Principles of solid-state welding processes – friction welding, friction stir welding, ultrasonic welding; Welding defects – causes and inspection; Principles of adhesive joining, brazing and soldering processes.
- Powder Processing: Production of metal/ceramic powders, compaction and sintering of metals and ceramic powders, Cold and hot isostatic pressing.
- Polymers and Composites: Polymer processing – injection, compression and blow moulding, extrusion, calendaring and thermoforming; Molding of composites.
GATE PI Syllabus Manufacturing Processes II
The Manufacturing Processes II section of the GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus 2023 includes topics such as Lathe, Additive manufacturing techniques, industrial robots etc. Further, let us discuss the important topics of the Manufacturing Processes II section in detail.
- Machining: Orthogonal and oblique machining, Single point cutting tool and tool signature, Chip formation, cutting forces, Merchant’s analysis, Specific cutting energy and power; Machining parameters and material removal rate; tool materials, tool wear and tool life; Thermal aspects of machining, cutting fluids, machinability; Economics of machining; Machining processes – turning, taper turning, thread cutting, drilling, boring, milling, gear cutting, thread production; Finishing processes – grinding, honing, lapping and superfinishing.
- Machine Tools: Lathe, milling, drilling and shaping machines – construction and kinematics; Jigs and fixtures –principles, applications, and design.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Principles and applications of USM, AJM, WJM, AWJM, EDM and Wire EDM, LBM, EBM, PAM, CHM, ECM; Effect of process parameters on material removal rate, surface roughness and power consumption; Additive manufacturing techniques.
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing: Basic concepts of CAD and CAM, Geometric modelling, CNC; Automation in Manufacturing; Industrial Robots – configurations, drives and controls; Cellular manufacturing and FMS – Group Technology, CAPP.
GATE PI Syllabus General Engineering
The General Engineering section of the GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus 2023 includes topics such as Fluid mechanics, design of shafts, free body concepts etc. Further, let us discuss the important topics in the General Engineering section in detail.
Structure, physical and mechanical properties, and applications of common engineering materials (metals and alloys, semiconductors, ceramics, polymers, and composites – metal, polymer and ceramic based); Iron-carbon equilibrium phase diagram; Heat treatment of metals and alloys and its influence on mechanical properties; Stress-strain behaviour of metals and alloys.
Engineering mechanics – equivalent force systems, free body concepts, equations of equilibrium; Trusses; Strength of materials – stress, strain and their relationship; Failure theories; Mohr’s circle (stress); Deflection of beams, bending and shear stresses; Euler’s theory of columns; Thick and thin cylinders; Torsion.
Theory of Machines and Design
Analysis of planar mechanisms, cams and followers; Governors and flywheels; Design of bolted, riveted and welded joints; Interference/shrink-fit joints; Friction and lubrication; Design of shafts, keys, couplings, spur gears, belt drives, brakes and clutches; Pressure vessels.
Thermal and Fluids Engineering
Fluid mechanics – fluid statics, Bernoulli’s equation, flow through pipes, laminar and turbulent flows, equations of continuity and momentum, capillary action; Dimensional analysis; Thermodynamics – zeroth, first and second laws of thermodynamics, thermodynamic systems and processes, calculation of work and heat for systems and control volumes; Air standard cycles; Heat transfer – basic applications of conduction, convection and radiation.
GATE PI Syllabus Quality and Reliability
The Quality and Reliability section of the GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus 2023 includes topics such as types of errors, reliability models, six sigma etc. Further, let us discuss the important topics in the Quality and Reliability section in detail.
- Metrology and Inspection: Accuracy and precision; Types of errors; Limits, fits and tolerances; Gauge design, Interchangeability, Selective assembly; Linear, angular, and form measurements (straightness, flatness, roundness, runout and cylindricity) by mechanical and optical methods; Inspection of screw threads and gears; Surface roughness measurement by contact and non-contact methods.
- Quality Management: Quality – concept and costs; Statistical quality control – process capability analysis, control charts for variables and attributes and acceptance sampling; Six sigma; Total quality management; Quality assurance and certification – ISO 9000, ISO14000.
- Reliability and Maintenance: Reliability, availability and maintainability; distribution of failure and repair times; determination of MTBF and MTTR, reliability models; Determination of system reliability; Preventive and predictive maintenance and replacement, Total productive maintenance.
GATE PI Syllabus Industrial Engineering
The Industrial Engineering section of the GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus 2023 includes topics such as Micro-motion study, standardization, product life cycle etc. Further, let us discuss the important topics in the Industrial Engineering section in detail.
Product Design and Development
Principles of product design, tolerance design; quality and cost considerations; product life cycle; standardization, simplification, diversification; Value engineering and analysis; Concurrent engineering; Design for “X”.
Work System Design
Taylor’s scientific management, Gilbreths’s contributions; Productivity – concepts and measurements; Method study, Micro-motion study, Principles of motion economy; Work measurement – time study, Work sampling, Standard data, PMTS; Ergonomics; Job evaluation and merit rating.
Facility location factors and evaluation of alternate locations; types of plant layout and their evaluation; Computer-aided layout design techniques; Assembly line balancing; Materials handling systems.
Operations Research and Operations Management Syllabus
The Operations Research and Operations Management section of the GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus 2023 includes topics such as activity-based coating, scheduling techniques, exponential smoothing etc. Further, let us discuss the important topics in the Operations Research and Operations Management section in detail.
- Operation Research: Linear programming: problem formulation, simplex method, duality and sensitivity analysis; transportation and assignment models; Integer programming; Constrained and unconstrained nonlinear optimization; Markovian queuing models; Simulation – manufacturing applications.
- Engineering Economy and Costing: Elementary cost accounting and methods of depreciation; Break-even analysis; Techniques for evaluation of capital investments; Financial statements; Activity-based costing.
- Production Control: Forecasting techniques: causal and time series models, moving average, exponential smoothing, trend and seasonality; Aggregate production planning; Master production scheduling; MRP, MRP-II and ERP; Routing, scheduling and priority dispatching; Push and pull production systems, concepts of Lean and JIT manufacturing systems; Logistics, distribution, and supply chain management; Inventory – functions, costs, classifications, deterministic inventory models, quantity discount; Perpetual and periodic inventory control systems.
- Project Management: Scheduling techniques: Gantt chart, CPM, PERT and GERT.
GATE Production and Industrial Engineering Syllabus PDF Download
For aspirants, it is necessary to have a PDF of the syllabus saved on their devices and even have a hard copy of the same. Here, we have provided a direct link to download the GATE Production and Industrial Engineering syllabus for free and prepare without any hindrance. Follow the link provided below to download the GATE syllabus for Production and Industrial Engineering:
GATE Production and Industrial Engineering Syllabus PDF
GATE Production and Industrial Engineering Syllabus Important Topics
Along with the complete syllabus, there are a few topics that cover a major proportion of the total marks in the exam which candidates shall prepare with utmost care. These topics will help in improving the rank of the candidate in the exam. Here are a few important topics from the GATE syllabus for PI necessary for the upcoming exam.
- Engineering Mathematics
- Product Design and Development
- Operation Research
- Production Control
- Metrology and Inspection
- Reliability and Maintenance
- Applied Mechanics
- Theory of Machines and Design
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Joining of Materials
GATE Books For PI Engineering Syllabus
Preparation of the GATE PI examination with trusted books is the best approach a candidate shall move forward with. Here, we have provided a list of a few important books which candidates may use for their preparation.
GATE Guide for Production and Industrial Engineering
Industrial Engineering and Production Management
Production Technology: Manufacturing Processes, Technology and Automation
GATE Paper Production and Industrial Engineering - Solved Papers
Online Classroom Program:
Avail Test Series:
All the Best
Commentswrite a comment