Ratio & Proportion is one of the most fundamental concepts of mathematics. A significant weightage is given to ratio & proportion problems in bank exams like IBPS PO, SBI PO, SBI Clerk, IBPS Clerk, IBPS SO, SBI SO, IBPS RRB, and similar others. While the topic is crucial to ace the quantitative aptitude, it also plays a role in the Data Interpretation and Reasoning section. In order to enhance their proficiency, aspirants should periodically attempt ratio & proportion online tests for bank exams.
The topic involves a few standard formulas, properties, and tricks to calculate the related questions.
Important Ratio & Proportion Topics for Bank Exams
Listed below are the most crucial ratio & proportion topics for bank exams:
The ratio of any two quantities (p, q) is p: q = p/q
The proportion between two ratios (p : q and m : n) is p/q = m/n or p : q :: m : n.
Types of Ratios
Major categories of ratios are: compounded, duplicate and sub-duplicate, triplicate and sub-triplicate, ratio of equalities and inequalities.
Types of Proportions
There are four kinds of proportions, namely direct, compound, inverse, and continued.
Tips to Solve Ratio & Proportion Questions
Given below are the common ratio & proportion tricks for bank exams:
- Aspirants must be aware of every ratio & proportion formula for bank exams.
- For comparing any two ratios, they need to be converted into equivalent fractions or ratios. This can be done by making their denominators equal. If the ratios are not equal, they are said to be ‘not in proportion’.
- If the ratios are- p: q = q: r, the value of 'q' can be found if the values of 'p' and 'r' are given. The term 'q' is the mean proportional and is calculated as q = √(p × r).
- If any three ratios, p: q, q: r, r: s are given, p: s can be found by p/s = p/q × q/r × r/s.
- For common fractions, it is advised to memorise the conversion table for ratio & proportion percentage for bank exams.
Importance of Ratio & Proportion in Quantitative Section of Bank Exams
Ratio & Proportion is crucial to cracking the quantitative section of bank exams. Glimpse through the following points to learn the importance of the topic:
- While the direct questions based on the ratio/proportion are few, its concepts are vital to solving the arithmetic problems.
- The concepts and formulae of ratio & proportion are used in simple and compound interest, mixtures and alligation, profit and loss, ages, percentages, etc.
- Besides, the ratio & proportion tricks are needed to tackle most of the questions of data interpretation.
- A number of approximation and shortcut techniques include the use of ratios and related conversions to fractions and decimals.
Best Books for Ratio & Proportion
There are several books available for practising questions based on ratio & proportion syllabus for bank exams. The following popular books consist of ratio & proportion questions and answers bank exams-specific.
Fast Track Objective Arithmetic
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations
Magical Books on Quicker Maths
Why prepare Ratio & Proportion from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep offers a comprehensive set of Ratio & Proportion notes for bank exams. The preparation material comprises ratio & proportion questions and answers pdf for bank exams, video lectures, mock tests, etc. After taking the mock tests, students can go through the analysis and learn about their strengths and weaknesses in different concepts of the topic. Besides, they may also practice with the help of ratio & proportion quiz for bank exams. Aspirants can interact with each other and discuss doubts on BYJU'S Exam Prep’s community platform. Further, they can get their queries addressed by the expert mentors and tutors at BYJU'S Exam Prep.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the properties of proportion?
Following are the four main properties of proportion:
- p/q = r/s ⟹ p/r = q/s (Alternendo)
- p/q = r/s ⟹ q/p = s/r (Invertendo)
- p/q = r/s ⟹ (p+q)/q = (r+s)/s (Componendo)
- p/q = r/s ⟹ (p-q)/q = (r-s)/s (Dividendo)
- What are the properties of ratio?
Following are the main properties of ratio:
- Ratio can exist only between the like quantities (of same units and type).
- Multiplication or division of every term of a ratio by the same quantity does not affect its value.
- What are the various types of ratio & proportions questions?
Exams usually feature four common types of ratio & proportions questions, namely combined ratio based, distribution-based, coins-based, and mixtures-based.
- How can a ratio be converted into percentage?
A ratio can be converted to a percentage by multiplying with 100. E.g. 2/5 x 100 = 40%
- What are the applications of ratio & proportion in real life?
The concepts of ratio & proportion frequently apply in grocery shopping, cooking, construction work, architecture, travel, and similar other areas.