Quick Facts About NIA and Its First Director
- Radha Vinod Raju was 59 years old when he became director of NIA.
- He was an IPS officer of the 1975 batch.
- He was from Jammu and Kashmir cadre.
- He was born and bought up in Kochi
- Earlier, he was DG of Vigilance in the Jammu & Kashmir State.
- His name was proposed by the Committee, headed by the current Prime minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh.
- NIA works on the orders of MHA of India.
- NIA Formation Day is December 31, 2008.
- A total of 5 amendments have been made to work against Human trafficking, Cyber Crime, Arms, and currency-related crimes.
Who was The First Director of NIA?
1975 batch IPS officer, Radha Vinod Raju was the first director of the National Investigation Agency. He joined Indian Police Force as an officer of the Jammu and Kashmir cadre. Later, the former PM of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh suggested his name for the Director-General post of the most advanced security agency in the country. He was on this post till January 31, 2010.
He was the head of the investigating team who found the killers of former PM, Rajiv Gandhi.