UPSC Geology Syllabus Overview
Geology is a science-based discipline that is objective in nature. The answers are specific and do not rely on the reader's perception. As a result, Geology is a high-scoring choice.
There are two sets of papers in the UPSC Geology Optional Syllabus exam that are Paper 1 and Paper 2 in UPSC Mains. Both paper 1 and paper 2 are of 250 marks each and total marks for the exam is 500.
|UPSC Syllabus for Geology Optional||Topics|
|UPSC Geology Syllabus Paper 1|
|UPSC Geology Syllabus Paper 2|
Download UPSC Geology Syllabus PDF
Aspirants can simply download the UPSC Geology Syllabus in both Hindi and English by just clicking on the link below. In addition to the optional syllabus, candidates must know about the UPSC mains syllabus in an organized & complete manner.
UPSC Geology Syllabus for Paper 1
The exam is divided into sections that are Paper 1 and Paper 2. Make sure you have complete knowledge of the Paper 1 syllabus so that you can excel in the exam. There are 6 topics included in Paper 1 of the UPSC Geology Optional Syllabus Exam and are further divided into subtopics.
UPSC Geology Syllabus for Paper 2
To perform well in exams, you must know about the paper 2 syllabus completely. Paper 2 Exam of the UPSC Geology Optional Syllabus includes 6 topics which are further split into subtopics.
UPSC Geology Optional Syllabus for IAS vs IFS
On comparing both the UPSC Geology Syllabus for IAS vs IFS, we found out that their topics are the same. Let’s have a look at the below syllabus.
- General Geology
- Geomorphology and Remote Sensing
- Structural Geology
- Indian Stratigraphy
- Hydrogeology and Engineering Geology
- Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- Sedimentary Petrology
- Economic Geology
- Mining Geology
- Geochemistry and Environmental Geology
UPSC Geology Optional Syllabus - Preparation Tips
Given below is the topic wise preparation strategy for Geology Optional Syllabus for UPSC.
Topic-wise Preparation strategy for Geology Optional Syllabus for Paper 1
- There are some important topics that need to be covered are earthquakes, tectonic plates, the age of the earth, and the formation of the universe.
- You can go through the Preparation of engineering geology by KP Banger to cover all these topics properly.
- It is a very important and basic concept yet it is simpler to understand.
Geomorphology and Remote Sensing
- Study the basic topics such as the formation of rivers, mountains and many more.
- Moreover, you need to study important topics such as Indian Satellites and other technologies used for remote sensing, and many others.
- You must keep an eye on the current affairs related to this topic.
- This is a very accurate and static part of the UPSC Geology Optional Syllabus. It includes ancient life forms and fossils.
- To prepare well for this topic, make tables for each of these species.
Topic-wise Preparation strategy for Geology Optional Syllabus for Paper 2
- In this topic, the properties of different minerals found in the rocks are usually asked.
- In the last few years, applied questions have been asked from this section.
- In this section, the focus is on understanding how geology can impact overall economic development.
- You must read about industries and raw materials.
Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- Most of the topics you have covered in your school.
- The most important topics covered in this section are Sedimentary petrology.
Booklist for UPSC Geology Optional Syllabus
Some of the books by which you can prepare for the UPSC Geology Optional Syllabus are given below.
Engineering and General Geology
Geology and Evolution of Indian Plate
The Elements of Paleontology
Rhona M. Black
Jain and Ananthamaran
Marland P. Billings
Trends in Objective Physiology
TextBook of Geology