Sociology Books for UPSC - NCERT
NCERTs should be a good starting point and a strong base to complete advanced books for sociology optional UPSC. In the beginning, you must go through the following books to have a basic understanding of what is to be covered in the Sociology Syllabus for UPSC.
Download NCERT Sociology Books for UPSC PDF from the direct link men
- Class 11 - Introduction to Sociology- Download PDF
- Class 11 - Understanding Sociology - Download PDF
- Class 12 - Indian Society - Download PDF
- Class 12 - Social Change and Development in India - Download PDF
Sociology Books for UPSC Paper 1
There are many sociology books for UPSC that cover the Paper 1 of the sociology optional syllabus. Paper 1 talks about the Fundamentals of Sociology which is further divided into subtopics. Below we have listed the best sociology books for UPSC Paper 1 to cover all topics from the Fundamentals of Sociology.
Best Book For Sociology Optional UPSC Paper 1
- Introduction to Sociology by Anthony Giddens
- Sociological Theory by George Ritzer
- Sociology Themes and Perspectives by Haralambos & Holborn
- A Dictionary of Sociology by John Scott
- Sociological Thought by Francis Abraham and John Henry Morgan
- An Introduction to Political Theory by O P Gauba
Sociology Books for UPSC Paper 2
Paper-2 of the sociology optional syllabus is all about Indian Society: Structure and Change. Following are some sociology books for UPSC where you will find complete information on Indian Society, Its Social Structure, and Social Changes in India.
Best Book For Sociology Optional UPSC Paper 2
- Social Change in Modern India by M N Srinivas
- Caste Its Twentieth Century Avatar by M N Srinivas
- Handbook of Indian Sociology by Veena Das
- Indian Society: Themes and Social Issues by Nadeem Hasnain
- Modernization of Indian Tradition by Yogendra Singh
- Rural Sociology by S.L Doshi and P.C Jain
- Social Background of Indian Nationalism by A R Desai
How to Choose the Best Sociology Books for UPSC?
It is recommended for the students to keep the list of books for sociology optional UPSC to a minimum. Above we have listed so many books but there is no pressure to study all of them Instead of referring to tons of sociology books for UPSC, candidates need to cover the top books in the best possible manner. Choose the book that you find easy to understand and cover, then shortlist those books.
- Make sure the books have all the topics mentioned in the syllabus.
- You can also ask your teachers to suggest some good books.
- Make sure you pick the latest edition of the sociology books for UPSC.
- In addition, you need to see if the language of the book is easy to comprehend or not and then make a choice.
How to Read Sociology Books for UPSC?
So, now that you have shortlisted your sociology books for UPSC, it is time for you to know the best way to read them. When you start covering a topic from the syllabus, make sure you read from two recommended books. Any additional information you come across should be added to your notes, and in this way, you will be able to keep all relevant information in one place. Don’t read every topic from multiple books, and refer to only one suggested source. Also, keep the list of sociology books for UPSC simple and short. You can pick Essential Sociology by Nitin Sangwan for both papers, as it is mandatory reading.