Today we are sharing the 56th Part of our series, 'Root of English'. With the help of this, you can improve your vocabulary in a very easy way. Also, the images attached helps to memorize a word for a longer time, so let's go through it now!
English language is made up of four parts. These are -
- GREEK ROOTS
- GERMAN ROOTS
- FRENCH ROOTS
- LATIN ROOTS
Now if you learn these roots, you can figure out the meaning of hundreds of English language words without even knowing their exact meaning. Before we go further, let us answer some basic questions for you first.
What is a root?
A root is the part of the word which gives instructions to a word.
How many parts is a word made of?
A word is made up of three parts.
For example - Transferable
Here 'Trans' is a prefix, 'Fer' is the root and 'able' is the suffix.
Note: PREFIX is a word, letter or number placed before another. SUFFIX is a letter or a group of letters added to the end of a word to change its meaning.
Root Word for Today: Lud/ludi/lus
Today we have taken 'Lud/ludi/lus ' as a ROOT which has various meanings: To play, make sport of, Pastime
Now with the help of this one root, you can come out with the conclusion of several other English words. Such as,
1) Ludification:- ( lu-di-fi-ca-tion) - A deception or mocking.
Usage - Ludification of a handicapped person is highly condemnable.
2) Illude- ( ih-lood) - To trick, impose upon, deceive with false hopes.
Usage - Do not allow your imaginations to illude you.
3) Delude- (dih-lood) - To disappoint or deprive of by fraud or deceit; to defraud of. , to manipulate someone’s judgment
Usage - The cult leader was able to easily delude the innocent girl into believing he was a god.
4) Elude- (ih-lood) - To escape playfully by dexterity or stratagem (a blow, attack, danger, or difficulty) , to avoid something or someone playfully
Usage - The criminal was able to elude the police in the crowded mall.
5) Interlude::- (in-ter-lood) - a meeting for giving information or instructions in short , a short period of time that comes in the middle of an event or situation
Usage - We exited the theater during the short interlude to purchase something to eat.
6) Allude:- (uh-lood ) - To play with, joke or jest at, dally with, touch lightly upon a subject.
Usage -The teacher asked the students to not allude to any online sources in their annual function act.
7) Collude::- ( kuh-lood) - To act together secretly to achieve a fraudulent or deceitful purpose; to connive.
Usage - Central banks have been accused of making plans to collude with one another in order to control the world economy.
8) Ludibrious::- (lu-dib-ri-ous) - Making fun of.
Usage - Being Ludibrious about someone doesn't make you great.
9) Prelusive::- ( pri-loo-zhun) - A display introductory to a game, performance, or entertainment; a prelude, preliminary essay or attempt.
Usage - After a prelusive dimming of the house lights intended to induce quiet, the stage curtain rose
We hope this session will help you in Vocabulary Preparation. We will come back soon with our next session. Also, you can go through our previous articles from the list given below:
Improve your English Language Preparation with Gradeup's Live Free Class:
Check out the schedule for this week's all English live free classes below:
|Date||Time||Topic of the Class|
|2020-08-01||6:00:00||Daily The Hindu Editorial Analysis || 1 Aug|
|2020-08-02||6:00:00||Daily The Hindu Editorial Analysis || 2 Aug|
|2020-08-03||6:00:00||Daily The Hindu Editorial Analysis || 3 Aug|
|2020-08-04||6:00:00||Daily The Hindu Editorial Analysis || 4 Aug|
|2020-08-04||17:00:00||High-level Sentence Correction Questions|
|2020-08-05||6:00:00||Daily The Hindu Editorial Analysis || 5 Aug|
|2020-08-06||6:00:00||Daily The Hindu Editorial Analysis || 6 Aug|
|2020-08-06||17:00:00||Identify the correct sentence|
|2020-08-07||6:00:00||Daily The Hindu Editorial Analysis || 7 Aug|
|2020-08-07||17:00:00||Find the odd Sentence Out|
|2020-08-08||6:00:00||Daily The Hindu Editorial Analysis || 8 Aug|
More than 50 different types of Banking and Insurance exam notifications in a year. It becomes nearly impossible for you to purchase different mock tests for so many exams. We have come up with a one-stop solution for all your problems regarding attempting mock tests, i.e. Gradeup green card. Get unlimited access to 700+ mock tests. Attempt Free mock test now.
All the best for the exam!
Prep Smart, Score better, Go Gradeup!