With only a few days left for CSIR NET 2021 exam, you should devote all your time in revising your concepts and topics. Practice as many mocks as you can to work on your speed and accuracy. At this high time, you should practice a lot of questions of those topics which have high chances of being asked in the exam. Coding-Decoding is one of the important and most scoring topics through which one can score full marks in this section.
To help you in your preparation, we have come up with the concept of Coding-Decoding for the upcoming exam CSIR-NET 2021. Scroll down the article below and learn this concept to crack the exam.
Concept of Coding-Decoding
A coding-decoding is a type of code that need to be deciphered to get the final message. The codes are based on various principles and patterns. In order to identify the pattern, we will consider all possible arrangements or orders that will provide the methodology to solve the coding-decoding questions.
Some common types of relationships which are asked in the exam,
- Opposite pair letter codes
- Letter coded with some other letter
- Identify messages from codes
- Numerical values assigned to words
- Letters interchanging with each other
- If then coding
- The meaning of the words changed
- Addition of the place values of the letters
We have provided below the type of series with examples to explain it,
Opposite pair of letters
1. If, in a certain code, EDITION is written as VWRGRLM, which word would be coded as SLMVHGB ?
The letters of the word are coded with the opposite letter.
E D I T I O N
V W R G R L M
S L M V H G B
H O N E S T Y
Hence, the correct option is B.
Letter Coded with some other letter
1. In a certain code language, CERTAIN is written as DFSUBJO, then in the same code language, SUMMER will be written as?
3. If ‘jk su mo’ stands for ‘Nation and Kashmir’, ‘mo zu aq’ stands for ‘Nation or Ladakh’ and ‘hy mo se’ stands for ‘United Nation Speech’, which word stands for ‘Kashmir’?
- either jk or su
‘jk su mo’ = ‘Nation and Kashmir’__________(1)
‘mo zu aq’ = ‘Nation or Ladakh’ ___________(2)
‘hy mo se’ =‘United Nation Speech’___________(3)
'Nation' is common in all, thus
Code of 'Kashmir' = either 'jk or su'
Hence, option C is the correct answer.
Identify messages from codes.
4. If “ @ &#%!” is the code for DREAM and “ @ 97#” is the code for DUKE, then what is the code for KUMAR?
Code corresponding to each letter:
Numerical values assign to words
5. In a code language, YOGHURT is written as 251578211820. How will DEVELOP be written as in that language?
YOGHURT = 251578211820
The place value of English alphabet is written here.
A = 1 , B = 2, C = 3, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ z = 26
DEVELOP = 45225121516
Hence, option (A) is the correct answer.
6. If Q = 10 and FAX = 50, then XEROX = ?
10 is the place of Q if we count from Z i.e. from opposite side.
Similarly for FAX =21+26+3 = 50
So, XEROX = 3+22+9+12+3 = 49
Letters interchanging with each other
7. In a code language, SELECTION is written as ESELDITNO. How will NOSTALGIA be written in the same language?
If then coding
8. If 9 * 7 * 5= 72975 & 4 * 8 * 6= 6486 then find 7 * 3 * 5= ?
9 * 7 * 5 is operated as last two numbers are written as it is, but first number is cubed.
cube of 9 = 729 and 75 makes 72975
4 * 8 * 6= 6486
7 * 3 * 5= 34335
Hence, option B is the correct response.
The meaning of the words changed
9. In a certain code language, “pink” is written as “green”, “green” is written as “yellow”, “yellow” is written as “red”, “red” is written as “white” and “white” is written as “indigo”, then in the same code language what is the colour of blood?
Pink ⇒ Green
Green ⇒ Yellow
Yellow ⇒ Red
Red ⇒ White
White ⇒ Indigo
Since the color of Blood is RED and RED is written as White.
Hence, the correct option is A.
Addition of the place value of the letters
10. If each of the letters in the English alphabet is assigned an even numerical value beginning A = 2, B = 4 and so on, what will be the total value of the letters for the word MODERN?
When the letters of English alphabet is assigned an even numerical value, then letters of the given word i.e. MODERN may be represented as follows:
M ⇒ 13 x 2 = 26
O ⇒ 15 x 2 = 30
D ⇒ 04 x 2 = 08
E ⇒ 05 x 2 = 10
R ⇒ 18 x 2 = 36
N ⇒ 14 x 2 = 28
Total value of the letters for word MODERN = 26 + 30 + 08 + 10 + 36 + 28 = 138.
Hence, C is the required answer.
~ Kindly UPVOTE this article and share it with your friends.
→ If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments section below.
BYJU'S Exam Prep Team
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App.
App Link: https://bit.ly/3sxBCsm