Concept of Data Interpretation
Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency are the two most important sections in each and every competitive examination and so it is also important for the CSIR NET exam.
The most amazing feature of these questions is that all the pre-requisites for solving the problem are already presented in front of the candidate, the only task of the candidate is to make all the requirements fall into correct places and solve the problem.
These questions are no less interesting than solving puzzles. So, let’s understand the various patterns and types of such questions and then we will guide you on how you can easily crack these questions.
Data Interpretation Question Patterns
Generally, the following type of Data Interpretation questions are asked:
- Data Tables
- Line Charts
- Pie Charts
- Venn Diagrams
- Mixed Graphs
Often, to make the questions a little trickier for the candidates, more than two data types are combined to form a question.
Now, let us begin with the steps that how should we go about attempting these questions stepwise. We are providing you stepwise guidelines so as to make your understanding better:
- Read the complete question thoroughly.
- Fetch out the basic crux of the question.
- Now try to align the question asked with the data provided.
- Observe and try to make out a link between the question and the data provided.
- Try to go through the data and make a map of data understanding in your mind.
- Pen down the important data which will be required to solve the question.
- Be very focused and sharp while attempting the complete question.
Also, for attempting the DI questions with the help of the above-mentioned steps, the candidates must have the basic knowledge of the following topics of quantitative mathematics:
- Ratios and Proportion
- Approximations and Simplifications
- Number System and Mathematical Operators
- Profit and Loss Problems
Out of the above topics, Percentages, Averages, Ratios and Approximations are equally important to deal with the DI questions.
Tricks to Prepare the Data Interpretation Section
We are providing you with key guidelines for enhancing your problem-solving skills in each of the areas. So, the first important criteria for mastering the DI questions are:
1. Quick Calculation
- Make a habit of adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing two-digit numbers in your mind daily for 15-20 mins
- The mind exercise will help you in calculating any number problem promptly
- Practice and make a habit of solving big number problems without writing it down on paper and rather solve it in your mind
2. Brush Up the Basic Formulas
- Make a separate notebook and jot down all the important and basic formulas of quantitative aptitude, revise it time to time
- Incorporate short tricks in the problem-solving methodology
3. See the Hidden Data
- By regular practice, you will be able to enhance your observation skills
- Try to see the questions differently and fetch out the hidden puzzle in the question
- Observations is the shortcut door for solving the DI questions
The Basic Idea of Approaching the DI Question is Hidden in Four S:
S - See (Read the question thoroughly)
S - Strategize (Follow the steps)
S - Segregate (Fetch out the important data)
S - Solve (Complete the process and find the answer)
Mantra's to Solve Data Interpretations Questions:
The following mantras will help the candidate to do well in the DI section:
- TО FОСUS ОN THE SОLUTIОN АND NОT THE РRОBLEM:
Questions from data interpretation are quite lengthy and confusing so if one focuses on those and spends too much time they would not find a solution ever. All the candidates are advised to first think about the solution and start from the end which makes the problem look simpler.
- TО SIMРLIFY THINGS АND THINK IN АССОRDАNСE WITH THE SОLUTIОN:
The problems from the DI section are somewhat complicated so first thing is to simplify and put it in accordance with the solution.
- TО FIRST UNDERSTAND THE PATTERN OF DI QUESTION
Understand the pattern of the Data Interpretation question thoroughly before attempting them
Areas that are Important for Data Interpretation Questions:
Since Data Interpretation questions can be framed from a variety of topics, we are mentioning here the most important ones that you must have a grip on:
- Quick Calculations
- Time, Speed and Distance
- Age-Based problems
- Time, Work and Wages
- Permutation and Combinations
- Percentages and Averages
~ Keep UPVOTE this article and share it among your friends.
→ If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments section below.
Join our Telegram Channel for more updates!
Best of Luck!!
Sahi Prep hai to Life Set Hai!!