PSIR Optional Books for Paper 1
The PSIR optional book list for Paper 1 includes topics on Political Theory and Indian Politics, and Indian Government and Politics. Questions of 250 marks will be asked from this section of the UPSC Political Science Syllabus. Following are some of the best books that would help the candidates to prepare in the best way possible. Candidates can also have the option to download the UPSC political science optional books PDF and kickstart their preparation.
PSIR Optional Booklist for Political Theory
The political theory of the political science syllabus includes topics like Theories of the state, equality, rights, democracy, the concept of power, political ideologies, etc. Following Political Science optional books for UPSC would be the best for covering these topics.
- A History of Political Thought - Subrata Mukherjee, Susheela Ramaswamy
- A History of Political Thought - J.P. Suda For Manu & Kautilya
- Foundations of Indian Political thought - V.R. Mehta
- Modern Political Theory - S.P. Verma
- Modern Political Theory - Madan Gandhi
- Political Theory - Eddy Ashirvatham
- Political Theory - J.C. Johri
- Political Theory - Ray & Bhattacharya Political Theory - O.P. Gauba
UPSC Political Science Books for Indian Politics
Indian politics is a vital topic in political science from the UPSC exam point of view. Candidates must refer to the best UPSC political science books to cover this section. Below we have covered some of the highly recommended books for Indian politics.
- Comparative Govt. & Politics - J.C. Johri
- Comparative Govt. & Politics - Ronald Chilcote
- Modern Indian Political Thinkers - V.P. Verma
- Foundations of Indian Political Thought - V.R. Mehta Indian Govt. and Politics -A.S. Narang
- Indian Govt. and Politics - J.R. Siwach
- Indian Govt and Politics - M.P. Singh, Himanshu Roy
- Politics in India - Rajani Kothari
- Govt. and Politics of India - W.H. Morris Jones
Political Science Books for UPSC Paper 2
Paper 2 of political science optional is divided into two parts, Comparative Political Analysis & International Politics and India & the World. This paper carries a total of 250 marks as well. And below, we have mentioned the best UPSC Books for PSIR. These books cover all the topics covered under the Paper-2 syllabus.
Best UPSC Political Science Books for Paper 2
Political Science Optional Book List for Comparative Political Analysis & International Politics
Theoretical aspects of International Politics - Mahendra Kumar
International Politics - Schuman
Political Science Books for India & the World
International Politics - Bookhives
Regular issues of Frontline & World Focus (magazine) Others IIPA Journal, The Hindu, Frontline
NCERT Political Science Books for UPSC Exam
There are some additional PSIR Optional books for UPSC that candidates can follow to build a solid foundation and clear their basics, such as,
- NCERT Class X – Political Science: Democratic Politics Part – I
- NCERT Class X – Political Science: Democratic Politics Part – II
- NCERT Class XI – Political Science: Indian Constitution at Work
- NCERT Class XI – Political Science: Political Theory
- NCERT Class XII – Political Science I: Contemporary World Politics
- NCERT Class XII – Political Science II: Politics in India since Independence
UPSC Political Science Optional Books PDF
Download the UPSC Political Science optional books PDF from the link below to get a headstart on your UPSC Exam preparation. We have mentioned all the important books in the PDF for both Paper 1 and Paper 2.
How to Prepare with Political Science Books for UPSC?
To cover the political science books for UPSC efficiently, candidates need to follow a strategic approach. As you can see above in those tables, there are so many books available for Political Science and International Relations. It is not practical to read all of them, and it is not possible either. You shouldn't read one topic from multiple books. Stick to your syllabus and cover the topics mentioned in the syllabus by following the books.
Additionally, you can prepare your own notes, as it will help you during your revision period. Along with the above-mentioned PSIR Optional books for UPSC, you must prepare for current affairs.