What is Legal Aptitude for CLAT?
Most students often panic in this section since they don't have any legal knowledge. However, the CLAT Legal Aptitude 2023 tests the candidate's knowledge about legal matters, public policy questions, or moral philosophical enquiries. The number of questions asked from the Legal Reasoning section ranges from 35-39 in the CLAT Exam. Legal Aptitude for CLAT questions does not tests candidates' existing legal knowledge. It just evaluates their ability on how correctly they are interpreting the given principle and applying it to the facts to answer the questions correctly. In this section, mostly the principle-based questions are asked, in which the candidates are provided with a legal proposition (principle) and a set of facts to which the proposition (principle) has to be applied.
While solving Legal Aptitude for CLAT, the candidates must strictly adhere to the given principle. Note one thing, in case of a tie, the candidates with high scores in CLAT Legal Aptitude will be given the first priority in shortlisting. Note the section below to get all the details that you must be aware of while preparing for Legal Aptitude for CLAT 2023
☛ Also Check: CLAT Syllabus
Number of Passages
4-5 passages of 450 words each
Question Types in Legal Aptitude for CLAT
Each passage - 4 to 5
Total number of questions - 35 - 39
CLAT Legal Aptitude Syllabus
To be drawn from news, legal matters, public policy questions or moral philosophical enquiries.
Syllabus of Legal Aptitude for CLAT 2023
Before starting CLAT Preparation, it is important to have basic clearance of the syllabus and topics covered in Legal Aptitude for CLAT. Note the table below to get a list of topics covered in CLAT Legal Aptitude.
- Study of Law
- Research Aptitude
- Indian Penal Code
- Law of Torts
- Indian Contract Act
- Important Court Decision
- General Legal Principles
- Problem-solving ability
- Hypothetical situation-based questions
Best Books to Study CLAT Legal Aptitude
This is one of the trickiest sections of the CLAT Question Paper. So, it is important that the candidates must follow the best CLAT Books to prepare legal aptitude section. Note the table below to get a list of books that you must follow to prepare for Legal Aptitude for CLAT 2023.
Name of the Books
Legal Awareness and Legal Reasoning
Legal Aptitude and Legal Reasoning
A P Bhardwaj
Objective Legal Aptitude
CLAT Legal Aptitude Question PDF
To score good marks in the Legal Aptitude for CLAT, solve the previous year's question papers to know the pattern & level of the questions asked in the Legal Aptitude section. Click on the link below for the CLAT Legal Aptitude questions PDF file.
Sample Questions on Legal Aptitude for CLAT
Below, we have listed the CLAT Legal Aptitude sample questions to assist the candidates in their preparation.
Sample Question: 1
Principle: Whoever intends to take dishonestly (with an intention to cause wrongful loss to another or wrongful gain to himself) any movable property out of the possession of any person without that person's consent moves that property in order to such taking is said to commit theft.
Fact: A handed over his watch to B for safekeeping. B sells the watch to C, which he was not authorized to do. B is prosecuted for theft.
- a) B is guilty of theft because he gained from it
- b) B is not guilty of theft because he was in possession of the watch
- c) B is not guilty of theft because A had given him the watch
- d) B is guilty of theft because he caused wrongful loss to A
Now, to solve this question, you need to apply the approach of Principle Fact and then again Principle (PFP).
Tips to solve the above CLAT Legal Aptitude question -
- First, read the principle carefully and then read the facts without looking at the answer choices.
- Read the principle again and then solve the question accordingly.
- Here, on the plain reading of the principle, it looks like B has committed theft; however, if you read the principle again, you will understand that theft is when something is taken out of possession without that person's consent.
- But here, the property was in possession of B, so the case is of breach of trust rather than theft, where A gave the property to B and misappropriated it.
- So, options (a) and (d) can be automatically eliminated.
- Choosing between (b) and (c), the appropriate option will be (b) because it applies the principle above.
Sample Question: 2
Questions- The idea of the Federal structure of government in our Constitution was incorporated from which Constitution?
- Irish Constitution
- American Constitution
- British Constitution
- Both a and c
Therefore, the Correct Answer is Option 2
Explanation: A federal system of governance is one that divides the powers of government between the union government and state governments. The Constitution of the United States established the federal system, it is also known as federalism.
How to Approach Legal Aptitude Questions for CLAT 2023?
While solving Legal Aptitude for CLAT, the candidates must be aware of the facts and principles that are given in the passage, based on which they have to answer the questions. Here are some expert tips on accurately answering the Legal Aptitude questions for CLAT 2023.
- Ensure that you have read the given passage and CLAT Legal Aptitude questions carefully to identify the principles.
- You do not have enough time to read the passage again and again. So try to find the answer on the first time.
- Try to connect the facts drawn in the question. Analyze it carefully to find whether they are fully supporting and justifying the argument or not.
- Give attention to every small detail so that you can easily understand the principles stated in the given passage.
- Do not waste time on a single question. Move on to the next one if you cannot specify the correct answer.
Tips to Improve Time Management Skills for Legal Aptitude for CLAT
Effective time management is extremely important to quickly solve CLAT Legal Aptitude questions. Below are some short tricks that you can follow to improve time management skills for Legal Aptitude for CLAT.
- Invest 3-4 hours daily for CLAT Legal Reasoning.
- Collect the best study materials for preparation
- Make CLAT Study Plan and try to complete each chapter within this fixed time.
- Improve legal vocabulary by reading a newspaper
- Use the order like Principle - Fact - Option while answering the Legal Aptitude for CLAT.
- Attempts CLAT Mock Tests to improve your accuracy and speed
Types of Legal Aptitude Questions for CLAT
We will now describe each type of Legal Aptitude for CLAT questions in detail below and will also share important expert tips to solve them easily.
Legal Reasoning Questions for CLAT
The CLAT Legal Reasoning questions are the principle and fact-based questions wherein you are provided with a legal proposition (principle) and a set of facts to which the proposition (principle) has to be applied.
- Some principles may not be true in a real sense, but all you have to do is assume them to be true and answer the Legal Aptitude for CLAT accordingly.
- The principles are generally based on the law of contract, the law of torts, criminal law, and constitutional law. One should thoroughly understand these laws, so answer this section.
- Although most questions are asked from the above-mentioned laws, there might be chances that a few questions are based on other laws such as intellectual property law, labour law, international law, and family law.
- You do not need to be well-versed and study all these laws in detail. All you need to do is just get a general idea of it so that it becomes easier to solve Legal Aptitude for CLAT questions.
- knowing the principle will help to save time during the examination.
☛ Related Links:
Legal Knowledge Questions (GK)
Legal Aptitude for CLAT GK questions includes a variety of questions involving constitutional law-related questions, fundamental rights, directive principles of state policy, amendments, and landmark judgments. Also questions relating to current legal happenings are also asked in this section. Other than that, the meaning of legal maxims is asked.
- To prepare Legal Aptitude for CLAT GK, you must be well versed in the important articles of the constitution, especially the fundamental rights.
- Also, learn all the important amendments in the constitution, and for preparing legal maxims, you can refer to a list of important legal maxims.
- However, don't go through each and every legal maxim from A-Z. Only a few of them are important for the CLAT Legal Aptitude section.
- Go through the CLAT Previous Year Question Papers, and you will get to know which of them are important. Jot them down and learn them thoroughly.
Now, to understand how to solve Legal Aptitude for CLAT 2023 in a better way, we will take a sample question and solve it.
Expert Tips to Solve CLAT Legal Aptitude 2023
Below are some expert tips that you can follow to score well in Legal Aptitude for CLAT questions.
- Decide the time you will give to this section during your examination beforehand.
- Generally, 25-30 minutes are enough to attempt the Legal Aptitude for CLAT.
- Try not to spend more than 30-35 minutes on this section, even if all questions are based on CLAT Legal Aptitude. Therefore, solve as many mocks and practice questions beforehand for time-bound practice so that you don't face problems during the examination.
- Focus on your exam strategy, and don't panic while solving Legal Aptitude for CLAT.
- Stay updated with the current legal happenings and landmark judgments.
- Legal maxims for CLAT are completely new for you to read. Also, these questions are a little tricky as most of the words are n Latin. So, don't leave it for the last moment. Start learning them from today onwards.
- While answering Legal Aptitude for CLAT questions, if you are confused by the answer choices, just read the principle again, and you will get the answer. Also, concentrate on the most appropriate choice since, at times, two or more choices seem correct.