The English Language is an important section of the CLAT 2022 examinations. This section comprises around 28-32 questions carrying one mark each. In this post, we are sharing some important expert tips on "How to prepare for CLAT English for CLAT 2022". So, read this post now to know how you should prepare the English section for CLAT 2022 and maximize your score in this section.
You can check out the Exam Pattern of CLAT 2022 for the undergraduate exam from the table below:
CLAT 2022 will be a 2-hour test, with 150 multiple-choice questions carrying 1 mark each. There will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer.
No. of Qs
Current Affairs, including General Knowledge
CLAT 2022: How to prepare for CLAT English?
In this section of the UG-CLAT 2021, you will be provided passages of about 450 words each.
These passages will be derived from contemporary or historically significant fiction and non-fiction writing and would be of a standard that a 12th standard student may be able to read in about 5-7 minutes.
Each passage will be followed by a series of questions that will require you to demonstrate your comprehension and language skills, including your abilities to:
- Read and comprehend the main point discussed in the passage, as well as any arguments and viewpoints discussed or set out in the passage;
- Draw inferences and conclusions based on the passage;
- Summarise the passage;
- Compare and contrast the different arguments or viewpoints set out in the passage; and
- Understand the meaning of various words and phrases used in the passage.
How to Improve English for CLAT 2022
1. Reading Comprehension
This section can be scored if you do substantial practice and improve your reading speed. 5-10 questions based on Reading Comprehension are asked in every CLAT paper under the English section.
- The level of reading comprehension is easy however the only problem here is that they are too lengthy, so you need to inculcate a practise of skimming and speed reading. To develop a practice of speed reading all you need to do is start reading an article every day, preferably an editorial of a newspaper or magazine which will also help you prepare for the GK section of the CLAT 2022 exam.
- Reading Comprehension isn’t a new topic for most of the aspirants since it is in the English syllabus since the 6th standard in almost all the schools. So, understanding the questions of this topic won’t be tricky. The difficulty lies in the time available to solve these questions in the CLAT exam. In the exam, you can devote only 5-8 minutes to this topic. So, start practising the question accordingly by keeping a timer with you.
- Also, while solving such questions, don’t just keep on reading the passage, instead, take a glance at the questions and keep that in mind while reading so that you don’t have to read the passage again and again.
- Make sure that you solve at least 1 comprehension-based question per day for thorough preparation and to maintain proper speed in this topic.
The common vocabulary-based questions asked in the English Section are Synonyms, Antonyms, Idioms, Foreign language words, and Spellcheck.
- Whether you are good at vocabulary or weak in it, you should start your vocabulary exercise from today itself. You can do that either by reading a book/ newspaper regularly or following gradeup. “Word Power made easy” by Norman Lewis is the best book for vocabulary preparation. Other than that, the daily vocab articles of BYJU'S Exam Prep will also help you work on your Vocabulary.
- It is important to solve quizzes of synonyms, antonyms, and the meaning of words because merely memorizing the words won’t be of any help.
- It is very difficult to retain the words we learn every day, so it is advisable to bring it to your usage and read sentences of those words which will help you retain their meaning for a long time. You can also try to use those words in everyday life for better understanding.
- Other than that, the meanings of some foreign words are also asked. So, it is advisable not to skip this part and learn these words since they are new to you.
- Vocabulary building can only be strengthened when you bring it into your habit and not consider it as a task. Every time, you read a new word anywhere, make sure that you look up its meaning and try to revise such words periodically.
This section is quite tricky since we all have been studying English grammar from 1st standard but most of the aspirants are still confused regarding the correctness of a sentence.
- What most aspirants do is follow the approach “sounds right”. However, what you need to understand are the basic rules of Grammar.
- The type of grammar questions asked is varied and may differ in every paper, so it is advisable to go through the basics of English grammar thoroughly and keep on practising it daily.
How you can score maximum marks in this section?
If you are weak or average in this section you need to attempt the previous year's paper for the CLAT 2022 examinations.
You should focus on:
- Grammar Rules and Sentence Improvements
- Comprehension practice daily
1. Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
2. 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary
3. Six Weeks by Wilfred Funk
4. Better English by Norman Lewis
5. any good book on idioms and phrases
6. any basic book on English Grammar (preferably by Wren and Martin)
Tips & Tricks to Prepare English for CLAT
- Identify your weakness and strength in the English section. For instance, figure out the topics in which you are facing the problem, be it vocabulary, grammar, or reading comprehension.
- The next step would be to understand the correct approach to solve such questions and work on improving them.
- Don’t delay your practice. Once you are through with the rules of question solving, make sure that you attempt as many practice exercises and quizzes as possible, to get a good command of it.
- Make a habit of reading every day. Don’t skip. This practice will help you enhance your vocabulary, and spoken English and will also keep you well-versed with the important updates.
- Also inculcate a habit of jotting down anything important that you come across, be it unfamiliar words or important rules of grammar.
- Lastly, don’t stress yourself too much or panic.
- You can easily crack the CLAT exam with proper practice!