A lot of students dislike this section and find it difficult to attempt. But, AILET Maths section is quite crucial to achieving a good score in the 2022 exam. Here is why. For a student scoring below 100 marks, it is necessary to improve in all the five areas, as much as possible. However, if a student is stuck in the range of 120 to 125 marks, then maths is the section to focus on. The 10 marks of this section could prove to be a determining factor of your AILET 2021-2022 exam score and rank.
Important Maths Topics for AILET 2022 Exam
First, let us have a look at the topics which are asked under the Numerical Ability or Mathematics section of the AILET 2022 exam:
- Boats & Streams
- Ratio and Proportion
- Divisibility & Remainder
- Simplification & Approximation
- Problem on Ages
- Linear Equation
- Permutation and Combination
- Profit and Loss
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Time and Work
- Pipes & Cistern
- Speed, Time and Distance
- Mensuration - 2 D & 3 D
- Mixture & Allegations
The above-mentioned topics are some of the most elementary and basic topics in math that the candidates need to be thorough with. Moreover, all these topics have a set of formulae which make it easier to solve the questions within the given set of time.
Preparation Tips for Maths for AILET Exam
Here are a few tips to ensure that you score better in the Numerical Ability section of AILET 2022.
1. Clear your Basics
- It is important to have a clear understanding of the basic concepts in Maths.
- This section consists of elementary mathematics, up to your 10th standard.
- Identify the relevant topics by going through the past years papers and practise them thoroughly.
- Understand the fundamentals first, so that you are able to approach all kinds of questions in the exam easily.
2. Practice enhancing Speed and Accuracy.
- Although these parameters are important for all the sections, they are especially relevant for the Maths section.
- You cannot afford to spend too much time on the questions, as other sections carry more weightage.
- It is important to learn to solve the questions with good accuracy within a very limited time frame.
- AILET exam does not test your complete approach to solve a particular question. You just need to answer the question correctly. So, practice shortcut tricks to solve the questions and save your time.
- Practising will help you understand which questions are easy to attempt in the exam and which questions should be skipped owing to the time constraint and negative marking.
- This section consists of ten questions and the ideal time that you can take to solve these questions should be between 10 to 12 minutes. The maximum time you can take is 10 minutes. The best way to do this is by doing section-wise online papers, with a timer.
3. Using formulas
- Most of the topics in the Mathematics section of the AILET 2022 exam can be solved with the help of formulas.
- It is vital to learn and apply the formulas in topics such as percentages, averages, profit and loss, calendars and time, speed and distance.
- Most of these topics will come as questions in the paper and knowing the formulas will save a considerable amount of time.
- It is also necessary to be able to solve the questions with as little paper as possible. Daily practice is the key to all this, no shortcuts!
Below is an example of the kind of shortcuts that may help in the preparation.
Formulas for solving Speed, Time and Distance Questions.
(a) km/hr to m/s conversion: 'a' km/hr = a x 5/ 18 m/s
(b) m/s to km/hr conversion: a m/s = a x 18/5 km/hr
(c) Time taken by a train of length l meters to pass a pole or standing man, or a signal post is equal to the time taken by the train to cover l meters.
(d) Time taken by a train of length l meters to pass a stationary object of length b meters is the time taken by the train to cover (l + b) meters.
(e) Suppose two trains or two object bodies are moving in the same direction at u m/s and v m/s, where u > v, then their relative speed is = (u - v) m/s.
(f) Suppose two trains or two objects' bodies are moving in opposite directions at u m/s and v m/s, then their relative speed is = (u + v) m/s.
(g) If two trains of length 'a' meters and 'b' meters are moving in the same direction at u m/s and v m/s, then: The time taken by the faster train to cross the slower train = (a + b) / (u - v) (sec)
So, knowing these shortcuts can help you ace questions on speed, distance, and time. In math, you can aim at scoring 8- 9 marks in an easy/medium paper, and 6- 7 marks in a difficult paper.
4. Use the right Books for Preparation
For the preparation of the Mathematics section of the AILET 2021-2022 exam, you can consult the under-mentioned books:
- Objective Arithmetic/quantitative mathematics by RS Agarwal
- NCERT 9th and 10th math textbooks
- Universal’s Guide to AILET 2021 and other law entrance exams.
These books will not only help you understand the basic concepts of different topics but will also assist you in your regular practice.
How to Solve Maths Paper in AILET 2022 Exam?
Let’s say you have practised all the probable questions and understood the formulas to be applied for them. What would be the best way to approach the paper?
(a) Firstly, understand your Strengths and Weaknesses.
- Skim through the questions and understand if it is an easy or a difficult paper.
- If Maths is a section you are strong at and very confident about, approach the section in the beginning and finish it.
- If not, it is advisable to keep it towards the last and first finish the sections you are more confident about.
- Likewise, if it is a difficult paper, it is best to finish the other sections to avoid spending too much time on math.
- Either way, you must not take more than 20 minutes to solve this section. Strategizing on how to solve the paper is extremely important.
(b) Secondly, attempt to solve questions by the process of option elimination. This lessens the time taken to finish the entire section.
(c) Thirdly, be calm. AILET 2022 has a long history of setting unpredictable papers, so it is vital to be prepared for any kind of questions.
To help you out in your exam preparation, we suggest you take a free trial of CLAT 2023: A Comprehensive Course. Crack CLAT 2023 & Reach Your Dream NLU! So, why wait?
CLAT 2023: A Comprehensive Course with foundation module
All the Best!!!