What is the Speciality of Dholavira?
Dholavira is a Harappan civilization site located on the Tropic of Cancer near the present-day village of Dholavira, situated on the Khadir bet island in the Kutch district of Gujarat (thus named Dholavira). It depicts a highly advanced civilization in manufacturing, art, water management, urban planning, construction techniques, social governance, development, trading, and belief system.
Here are the key points of Dholavira-
- Various artifacts like gold and copper, seals, fish hooks, animal figurines, terracotta pottery, etc., have been found there.
- It showed that there was a multi-layered defense mechanism in the Harappan civilization.
- Just like other Harappan sites, it also has a cemetery and a walled city.
- 9 uniquely designed gates were discovered at the site showing incredible infrastructure.
- Because of its advanced manufacturing system and well-planned structure, it became the center of commerce and trade in the Indus Valley Civilization.