3 Major Types of Plateaus and their Examples
Based on their geographical location and rock structure, plateaus can be classified as
- Intermontane plateaus border a folded mountain range or are entirely contained by it.
- Example: Folded mountains like the Himalayas, Karakoram, Kunlun, and Tien Shah encircle Tibet on two sides.
- These are plateaus at the foot of mountains, surrounded on all other sides by plains or the ocean.
- Examples include the Appalachian Plateau in the United States, located between the Appalachian Mountains and the Atlantic Coastal Plain, and the Malwa Plateau in India.
- These are produced by substantial continental uplift or by the considerable spreading of the horizontal basal lava sheets, which entirely engulf the previous terrain.
- Examples include the Snake River Plateau in the northwest and the volcanic lava-covered plateaus of Maharashtra in India.
What are the major types of plateaus?
There are 3 major types of plateaus - Intermontane Plateaus, Piedmont Plateaus, and Continental Platforms. These can be categorized into the following categories according to their location and rock composition.