UPPSC PCS Mains Preparation Tips
- You should be well aware of the Historical and Geographical Background of Uttar Pradesh state. Many questions are directly asked from the news of state-based.
- Many questions are directly asked from the current news so you should be well aware of the current events and developments of the country as a whole as well as that particularly Uttar Pradesh state.
- Aspirants should be well aware of the culture, customs, and regional languages of Uttar Pradesh.
- Practice Mocks and previous year papers when you start solving the Mocks & previous year's papers, you familiarise your mind with the kind of question paper you get to solve in the final examination. Solving mocks will also help you keep a record of time so that you do not end up wasting managing your time poorly.
- This is the most important that should be kept in mind. Daily Practice a lot of answers of all the subjects as part of the UPPCS Mains Preparation.
- Read newspapers on a daily basis that will give you an idea of what's going around the globe.
- Read thoroughly NCERT books they are very helpful for concept clarity.
- Evaluate yourself at regular intervals. You should allocate sufficient time for testing yourself through quizzes, mocks.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle: eat well, sleep well and do exercise.
Tips and Tricks for UPPSC Mains Exam 2022
Understanding the Question Paper:
- Hindi is one of the most important subjects in the UPPCS Mains exam, unlike UPSC Mains, marks scored in Hindi subject are added to the final score, making it a great opportunity for candidates to score.
- Questions asked are based on General Knowledge of Hindi Grammar, Unseen Passage, Letter writing etc. Each question is allotted to 10 to 20 marks depending upon the requirement of the question.
- The essay paper is divided into 3 sections. In each section, there are 3 topics out of which candidates have to attempt one question from each section.
- Each Essay carries 50 marks with a word limit of 700 words.
- There are 4 papers of General Studies namely, GS1, GS2, GS3 and GS4. Each paper if of 200 marks. Each GS Paper includes subjects from General Studies, the syllabus of each GS Paper has been provided by the commission.
- This section is the most scoring section of the UPPCS Mains Exam as these 4 papers account for 800 marks out of a total of 1500.
- Each GS Paper is divided into two sections of a total of 20 questions, all questions are compulsory:
Short Answer Questions
Long Answer Questions
Word Limit: 125 Words
Word Limit: 200 Words
Marks Allotted: 8 Marks
Marks Allotted: 12 Marks
Number of Questions: 10
Number of Questions: 10
- Apart from the above-mentioned papers, there are two papers of 3 hours each for the optional subject. A candidate can choose any subject from a list of 34 subjects as seen before.
- Each Paper is of 200 Marks and 3 Hours duration in which questions are asked from the graduation level knowledge of the chosen subject.
- Choosing the right optional is very important as it can prove to be the difference between success and failure in UPPCS Mains 2022 Examination.
- In each Optional Paper there are 8 questions divided in two sections. Each question carries 40 marks. Candidates are required to attempt any 5 questions, choosing at least 2 questions from each section.
Before starting the preparation:
- The first thing for candidates must do is download a copy of official syllabus and understand the requirements of the exam in each section. A thorough understanding of the syllabus is crucial to make a winning strategy for UPPCS Mains 2022 Exam.
- Next step is to decide the books and sources that you will require to study from. It is indispensable that the sources to study from are authentic and reliable as it can be sabotaging to change the study material mid preparation.
- Next, every candidate must go through the previous year papers to get an exact idea of what kind of questions are expected by the commission. A general idea of weightage given to each topic will help you rationalize your preparation to get maximum output.
UPPCS Mains Preparation:
- Candidates must divide their time effectively to ensure that each topic is covered based on its weightage in the examination. For this, it is important to analyse the previous year papers and Exam Patterns.
- A schedule that suits your individual needs should be made. You must not blindly follow any topper’s or friend’s schedule. What worked for him, may not work for you.
- Answer Writing: The importance of Answer Writing Practice cannot be emphasized enough in the UPPCS Mains Examination. Daily answer writing practice must be done by the candidate. Answer writing practise will not only improve your knowledge but will also provide you with the speed and accuracy that will be of utmost importance while writing subjective answers.
How to cover Current Affairs for UPPCS Mains 2022 Examination?
- Current Affairs issues from State, National and International arenas are regularly asked in the UPPCS Mains Examination. Here are a few tips to cover the current affairs for UPPCS Mains Exam:
- Unline the preliminary examination, UPPCS Mains exam requires a thorough understanding of the issue in question. You must be able to write meaningful content in the right context to score good marks in such questions.
- Candidates can adopt the “List and Folder” Technique to tackle the current affair questions for the UPPCS Mains Exam. In this method, you will need to list all the important developments that have taken place in the last year that are relevant from the examination point of view. There are approximately 200-250 such topics each year.
- After you have listed the topics, You must write all the relevant data and information that you can find on these topics along with the important keywords and put these in separate folders. You can add more information to these folders as per need in the upcoming months.
- Through this method, you will clearly demarcate the topics and will have a clear idea of major current events that can be asked in the UPPCS Mains Examination.
- Candidates must put special focus on the UP Specific Current Affairs and Schemes 2-3 questions in each paper are asked from this section.
UPPSC PCS Mains Exam Pattern
General Studies Paper-1
General Studies Paper-2
General Studies Paper-3
General Studies Paper-4
|3 hrs||200 marks|
|Total Marks||1500 Marks|
Some Standard Textbook to refer for UPPSC PCS Mains Exam
|Book Name||Author Name|
|General Hindi||Dr. Raghav Prakash & Dr. Savita Paliwal|
PCP- Dharohar by Pink CityPublisher
|History of Modern India||Bipin Chandra|
Orient Black Swan
|Indian Polity||M. Laxmikanth|
Mc Graw Hill
|Geography of India||Majid Hussain|
Mc Graw Hill
|Indian Economy||Ramesh Singh||Mc Graw Hill|
|Manorama Yearbook||Mammen Mathew||Malayala Manorama Press|
|NCERT Science Books (6-12)|
UPPSC PCS Mains Study Material: Click Here