Technology in/ for Education
- The term technology in education is a service concept like technology in the service of agriculture of farmers or science in the service of mankind.
- It refers to the use of equipment and machines for educational purposes.
- It involves the use of a wide range of audio- visual equipment, hardware and sophisticated electronic devices like films, projectors, radio, television, tape recorder, teaching machines and computers etc.
Concept of Educational Technology (ET)
- Educational technology is the study and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using and managing appropriate technological processes and resources
- Educational technology is a systematic, iterative process for designing instruction or training used to improve performance
- Educational Technology involves the disciplined application of knowledge for the purpose of improving learning, instruction and/or performance.
Characteristics of Educational Technology
- ET has contributed in developing various methods e.g. Micro teaching method, Interaction analysis, Audio Visual Aids and Programmed learning method.
- In the field of ET, Psychology, Science and technology, system, art, AV aids and machines are used.
- It is based on the application of the scientific knowledge.
- It is helpful in making the teaching process objective, easy, clear, interesting and scientific.
- It is a continuous dynamic technology.
- It is an important medium of communication.
- A desired change is possible in the behavior of teachers and students.
Revolution and Development of Educational Technology
Erich Ashley (1967) has identified four revolutions in education :-
- First Revolution:
Revolution of shifting the task of educating the young ones from parents to teacher and from home to schools.
- Second Revolution
Revolution of adoption of the written word as a tool of education.
- Third Revolution
Revolution as a result of invention of printing and availability of books and other teaching-learning material.
- Fourth Revolution
Revolution on account of development in electronic, chiefly involving radio, television, cassette recorder and computer, and development of systems concept.
Educational Technology is broadly classified into the following two heads:
- Technology of Education.
- Technology in Education.
Technology of Education
- It is inherent in education itself.
- It refers to the application of behavioral sciences like psychology of educational theories and practical teaching –learning problems, instruction and motivation etc.
- It is concerned with the study of educational problems and the techniques to be used in solving the teaching-learning problems so that best results should be achieved.
- Technologies of planning, financing and administration are also covered under the concept of technology of education.
- Techniques of curriculum planning, transacting and evaluating also come under technology of education.
- In technology of education, we use derived from psychology of learning.
Following techniques are included in technology of education:
- Analysis of instructional problems.
- Selection of instruments for evaluation
- Selection of strategies to obtain desired result from the teaching-learning process.
- Teacher behavior.
- Programmed learning.
- System analysis.
Technology in Education
- Technology in education implies the use of implements, tools and machines in education in the same manner as we use these for the development of agriculture and gardening and industry and in fact our everyday life to reap the fruit of scientific and technological developments.
- Under technology in education we include electronic media projector, film, radio, T.V, teaching machine, computer and internet etc.
- Technology in education refers to the application of engineering principles and technology in the process of education, it is also called hardware technology.
NEED AND IMPORTANCE OF EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY
Use of ET is needed in the process of education because of following reasons.
- Population Explosion
- Fast Generation of New knowledge
- Development of new strategies
- Controlled Atmosphere
- Importance of Teacher’s role
- Mass extension of Model teaching
- Advantages to private students
- Beneficial for teacher training colleges
- Improvement of school Administration
- Preservation of knowledge
- Development of teaching models
- Creation of Interesting learning situations
I hope you all understood the concept : Technology in/ for Education for UGC NET Exam Paper 2 : Education.
Preparation Tips for upcoming UGC NET EXAM 2021
- Check the full syllabus and examination pattern of UGC NET EXAM thoroughly
- Start preparing for the exam with a time schedule
- Practice with the previous year’s question papers and their solution
- Keep revision of all topics from the topics on a daily basis
- Check your progress with mock tests
- Study carefully and do maintain your health.